Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic Registrations

• 04-09-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

One of our members is looking to try and get some momentum behind reviving classic number plates and asked if I could post a link to an online survey he's looking to carry out to gauge public opinion. He would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

I believe that old Irish registrations should be available for re-issue to pre-1987 vehicles, and also that it should be possible to retain pre-1987 UK registrations on vehicles imported from the UK as these are part of the vehicles' histories.  I am trying to establish if enthusiasts are willing to pay for this privilege as it may be possible to influence Government if they see this as a source of revenue.  I am willing to pursue this idea if I find sufficient support for it among old vehicle lovers.

Please take a few minutes to complete a survey for me (just six questions) so that I can have facts to present to Government.  Just click on the link below.

This survey is private and no information about individuals will be disclosed to any third party whatsoever.

Thanking you in anticipation,

John Larkin (IVVCC member) and old registration aficionado.

Click here:   http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LV38R29

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I've put my tuppence worth regarding a 'Trade' type plate ( say silver or blue background ) that could be screwed on for bringing the vehicle out for the w/end. If I had my old trade insurance back then I'd be sorted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Hope it works, I added this into the comments section of the questionnaire:
    At the very least a new "ZV" plate should be introduced to allow a max. of 6 letters/digits on a plate for pre-87 cars.

The whole concept of using "personalised plates" should be extended to all cars, regardless of age, as far as I'm concerned allow all pre-87 plates to be re-issued. A new or post 87 car will always have it's post 87 plate on the log book but you should be able to get a pre-87 or full personalised plate from the government as well. e.g SEAN 1.

There are many examples of this: in Austria the county comes first, then the county seal then either a free random number or a personalised one, so i could have 02-D-12345 or 02-D-SEAN or D-SEAN 1 for example.

They should use the Swedish model and give the plates out for 5 years max. after this they have to be repurchased, this would maximise the revenue from desirable plates.

Example: Kilkenny was "IP", the last numbers in 1986 was 235 UIP , so how much do they think they would get for 1 VIP, 600 VIP, 735 VIP, etc etc . These numbers were never issued, they could also go back and reissue the older VIP *** numbers so for a BMW VIP 520 VIP 640 etc etc are all available.

If the number stays with the purchaser any future revenue is gone from the state for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If the number stays with the purchaser any future revenue is gone from the state for good.
    That is their problem. If I go to the bother of buying a private plate I would want to keep it myself for ever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What a stark survey. It's all questions about how much you'd pay for X and Y plates. Nothing about *why*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is no way in hell I would pay for a plate that could not be transferred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

No! I disagree strongly on this! If we had a proper age related system in place there would be no need for anything else. Re issuing old registrations is not the answer. There is enough of a mess already with the prolific ringing of old registrations going on these days. Where does it stop, how do you decide which numbers to re issue without evidence the the original car is/was scrapped? No such thing as a cert of destruction untill lately in this country. Yes, the english registration is part of the imported cars history, but keeping its English number here is plain stupid, i cannot see the point. It means you would have no idea what is what then, how would you know a car was on an 'Irish' english issue? Besides, if a car goes back to the UK it can get its original number reallocated.

All that is needed here is a proper age related series. This is the main issue! There are plenty of unissued numbers from the old pre 87 series that could be used if it came down to it. Imported cars to Ireland could retain their English issues untill about 1976 when import cars had to have a local number issued.

The IVVCC should be pushing for a new age related series, not a bonkers idea about keeping another countries registration series'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

How about starting with something simpler like getting reversed ZV plates issued

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

I want the Hong Kong system of personailsed registrations to be adopted. Its a solution that solves all the problems.

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/transport/vehicle/ospvrm.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

No! I disagree strongly on this! If we had a proper age related system in place there would be no need for anything else. Re issuing old registrations is not the answer. There is enough of a mess already with the prolific ringing of old registrations going on these days. Where does it stop, how do you decide which numbers to re issue without evidence the the original car is/was scrapped? No such thing as a cert of destruction untill lately in this country. Yes, the english registration is part of the imported cars history, but keeping its English number here is plain stupid, i cannot see the point. It means you would have no idea what is what then, how would you know a car was on an 'Irish' english issue? Besides, if a car goes back to the UK it can get its original number reallocated.

All that is needed here is a proper age related series. This is the main issue! There are plenty of unissued numbers from the old pre 87 series that could be used if it came down to it. Imported cars to Ireland could retain their English issues untill about 1976 when import cars had to have a local number issued.

The IVVCC should be pushing for a new age related series, not a bonkers idea about keeping another countries registration series'!

I agree, we don't need to re-issue the old used numbers, there are hundreds of thousands of old unused numbers that were never issued.

I don't think the UK number is going to work either as this could cause confusion for the UK authorities with Irish cars visiting the UK with duplicate numbers on similar style plates. Ireland cannot dictate to the UK not to re-issue exported numbers.

I think we should forget about personalised plates that are not part of the pre 87 series, get the pre 87 plates re-issued first then work on personalised plates later.

To be honest, I dont think we should have to pay anything to have the old unissued numbers in use again, after all thats what the zv was until they went to 5 digits. What they could do is pick the juicy ones out like 1 VIP (which was never issued) and reserve those with an extra charge like the DVLA do in the UK.

The basic facts of all this is the apes in the government can't get the ordinary modern series right, they have already made a mess of that, so theses no hope of a personalised classic series ever being rolled out.
    Unless they stand to make millions off it, not a hope. And there wont be enough lads importing old UK motors to pay for 'pesonalised' numbers to warrant it.
    They just won't want the hassle of the paperwork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i aghree carchy. A proper series of numbers to replace the bastardised ZV system which identifies the car as an import without making it look ridiculous, possibly with a county identifier included which would get away from the ridiculous site of a field full of ZV registered cars! Im think xxx DZV for Dublin, xxx CZV for Cork etc, handily thaere are 26 letters in the Alphabet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I'd propose that they adopt the Swedish personal plate system which is simple and effective.

The car always retains it's underlying registration number, say for example 75 D 100003.

The owner of the vehicle applies for their own choice of letters, spaces and numbers. Here the max. number of digits is 7 but in Ireland that can easily be upped to 12.

The plate costs approx. €700 for 10 years and can be transferred from one vehicle to another during that period. An official tax disc type thingy must be displayed on the windscreen showing both the personal plate and the cars underlying registration number.

You see all sorts of combinations here for example just letters making up a name or company name, LOUISE and PETER F are two that I see regularly or just numbers such as 007 or 43 or 1111111.

The number plate system changed here a number of years ago and some enthusiasts have used the personal plate system to restore the original old number to their car.

Personally I think it is a great system, the original number stays with the car so their is no problems when it comes to selling the car.

All plates have to be approved before being issued and nothing even mildly offensive is permitted. I don't know what the situation is here but I'd imagine a restriction on issuing trademarks to the trademark holder only might be advisable, other than that it's first come, first served.

I'd imagine the system would be very popular with individuals and companies and a good money earner for the Government with a charge of €700 for 10 years and say €100 administration fee for transfers.

invest4deepvalue.com

There's almost 1 million (929338.... I counted them :)) unissued pre 87 registrations, There must be thousands of desirable numbers in there that could be charged money for.
    I did this list up from the wiki page.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/84846/219594.pdf

hi5 wrote: »
    There's almost 1 million (929338.... I counted them :)) unissued pre 87 registrations, There must be thousands of desirable numbers in there that could be charged money for.

Excellent stuff there HI5.

This is much more like it. Start issuing old series regs from a set point in each county, there's no repeating or replicating previously issued regs, there's no ringing cars, each county also has its own specific series that is historically tied to that county, and there's loads of numbers for each county to last for years.

What's not to like about that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Excellent stuff there HI5.

This is much more like it. Start issuing old series regs from a set point in each county, there's no repeating or replicating previously issued regs, there's no ringing cars, each county also has its own specific series that is historically tied to that county, and there's loads of numbers for each county to last for years.

What's not to like about that??

I agree totally.
    I have a keen interested in registration number and believe unissued pre-87 plates should be issued for imports OR (as I have posted here many times before) a reversed ZV series used, e.g. -

- 1 ZV to 999 ZV (pre 1920 vehicles)
    - 1000 ZV to 9999 ZV (1921 to 1959 vehicles)
    - 1 AZV - 999 AZV
    - 1 BZV - 999 BZV
    - 1 CZV - 999 CZV
    etc etc etc (1960 to 1986 vehicles)

Retaining UK plates on imports is a silly proposal.

Update to include Westmeath;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭kiki

hi5 wrote: »

+1 for this

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

On a slightly related topic, does anybody know what the current ZV allocation number is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

antodeco wrote: »
    On a slightly related topic, does anybody know what the current ZV allocation number is?

in which county?

Advertisement