Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Backup for a year + PogoPlug Classic for €23.88 Delivered.

Options
  • 24-08-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought one of these.
    Pogoplug are Offering Unlimited Backup for $19.95 per year, and are giving with it, a Pogoplug Classic Free - With Delivery = $9.95

LINK TO POGOPLUG FAMILY AND FREE DEVICE

Pogoplug_BlackUnitFull.jpeg

Delivered, the whole thing works out at €23.88

There is also a referral program, Five Friends signed up to 30 day Trial = Year License. (I'm not posting referral link here, as i only wanted the Device)
    It is a USB 2.0 Device, but there is an Internal Sata Port that you can connect to (Probably with less mess) using THIS guide

You can install Linux on it, but it has to be the correct model. (AFAIK this one works for ArchLinux) (P21 v3)

Some Useful Links

Install ArchLinux - HERE

Optware Installation for Pogoplugs - HERE
    Then:
    CouchPotato
    Sabnzbd
    SickBeard

Stream movies etc to Xbox/PS3 and Internet TV - HERE

Allow Hard Drive to Spin Down when Idle - HERE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cheers just ordered have been using an old thinclient with Freenas but tis a bit flaky looks like a nice upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

My pogoplug is in Dublin on its way shipped from Germany, must faster than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

At the current exchange rate, is now down to €15.90.

Jaysus.. I didn't realise there was that big a jump in the exchange rate. :eek:

Also, It's the PogoPlug Pro that arrives :D

EDIT.. Just re-read my own post. I forgot the Postage was $9.95 (€7.92)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

If this a rolling automatic renewal or do you renew manually.

I don't like singing up for these "yearly" subscriptions as you invariably need to cancel before the 2nd year is due.

No, I don't think it's a rolling automatic, even if it is, cancel as soon as the pogoplug arrives.

The only reason i bought it was for the device. :)

Sitting beside my router now. :D

My upload speeds are slow, so outside of the house it's not the best, but that doesn't bother me, as i won't be using it outside the house..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

hi
    I just placed an order for this on teh Family Plan. In my account however it states 5gb stoarge? where is the unlimited storage? is this when i get the hardware and reg it on the site?

Trying to back up my phone photos now... will see what it is like.

Cheers
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Can you use this as a local file server for a LAN ?
    That is, can you transfer files without having to bounce everything via your internet connection ?

Also
    "Offer available in U.S., UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Luxembourg, and Switzerland"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

no PayPal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Heh! Got me again, BA, got me again. I had absolutely no desire for online storage... until I saw this thread.

All of a sudden I like the idea of having access to certain files on the move, and some of the other features of the service, so for the price of a year's subscription, even if the service is rubbish, I'm sure I can find some use for the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Anybody loaded Debian or Arch Linux onto one of these yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'm missing something. If they offer you unlimited storage, what's the device for? And if the device is basically a HDD that plugs into your router, what are you subscribing to?

Edit: Looks like the device has little/no capacity itself but lets you plug in your USB devices and access the data from them from the PogoPlug site.

Presumably the hacks available allow you to use this as a NAS device with the advantage of letting you install some server-side apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

so this hardware can plug into my 2tb iomega media drive, then i have a 2tb cloud solution......would this be a correct assumption? i then set my mobile devices to back up to this media drive. mmm interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I'm missing something. If they offer you unlimited storage, what's the device for? And if the device is basically a HDD that plugs into your router, what are you subscribing to?

Edit: Looks like the device has little/no capacity itself but lets you plug in your USB devices and access the data from them from the PogoPlug site.

Presumably the hacks available allow you to use this as a NAS device with the advantage of letting you install some server-side apps.

ye from what I gather this doesn't actually give you access to any backup storage, rather it gives you a hard drive less backup unit that you connect your own storage too and it gives you the ability to use that as "cloud" storage to back up all your machines or access files from any computer or device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Allyall wrote: »
    No, I don't think it's a rolling automatic, even if it is, cancel as soon as the pogoplug arrives.

The only reason i bought it was for the device. :)

Sitting beside my router now. :D

My upload speeds are slow, so outside of the house it's not the best, but that doesn't bother me, as i won't be using it outside the house..

What does the device do by itself if you don't have a subscription?

long_b wrote: »
    Can you use this as a local file server for a LAN ?
    That is, can you transfer files without having to bounce everything via your internet connection ?

Also

Yes.
    Anybody loaded Debian or Arch Linux onto one of these yet?

No, I'm, trying to find the original instructions for installing FreeNAS on to it. I might give up and go with Arch linux, a lot of people saying it's very good.

Lot's of info HERE and HERE

A lot of the original sites seem to be dead now, as it was open source, and most of the information was hosted on pogoplugged.com, which is now also dead. - but it is all here (Just found it) - http://support.pogoplug.com/categories/20051381-user-forums
    BrookieD wrote: »
    so this hardware can plug into my 2tb iomega media drive, then i have a 2tb cloud solution......would this be a correct assumption? i then set my mobile devices to back up to this media drive. mmm interesting.
    Yep. I have 2 x 1TB and 1 x 2TB attached. Filled with crap. I need to clean them :mad::o.
    What does the device do by itself if you don't have a subscription?
    From the website
    What makes Pogoplug different from other cloud storage solutions?
    Pogoplug provides a Personal Cloud you can touch. You can access your files from any browser, smartphone or tablet, but your files stay safe at home or the office. Pogoplug's secure and private cloud storage solutions include Pogoplug PC, Pogoplug devices and Pogoplug Team.

I am running out of space, how can I expand?
    Pogoplug is designed to grow as you go. To add more space to your Pogoplug account, you can attach another hard drive to your Pogoplug device, download Pogoplug PC to add your computer to your account or purchase additional online cloud storage.

When I click on the link to buy it, it is coming up as $29.00 + $9.95 as opposed to $19.95 + $9.95. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

It seems the price has gone up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ye it seems the offering is slightly different now as the base option now comes with 100GB of online storage as oppose to 5GB so the price has gone up accordingly

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/pogoplug-adds-amazon-glacier/

Wonder which one I'll get - just ordered at $19.99 this AM

Mine doesn't recognise any wifi router I have on any channel or security settings open, wpa, wpa2 judging by the forums its a very common issue and theres no point in even contacting them unless you don't ming getting the run around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

Hi moodrater,

I just ordered mine today - the 100GB one. How long did your device take to arrive?

Trojan00 wrote: »
    Hi moodrater,

I just ordered mine today - the 100GB one. How long did your device take to arrive?

3 day germany to dublin, :) 7 days dublin to roscommon :rolleyes:

Despite registering my email with UPS for exception notices I received none had to call them to tell them to give my number to the driver and it still took two more days.

One last question before I order it.... What happens to anything you have stored in the cloud service if you don't renew the subscription after a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i have a wd my book world edition II dual drive network storage device - still sitting in a box after a bargain alert here last year. After a brief oh no the computer just died scare, I'll be setting it up over the weekend.

on the box, there's an indication of being able to access the device remotely, so do i necessarily need (want?) the pogoplug device as well then?

ablelocks wrote: »
    i have a wd my book world edition II dual drive network storage device - still sitting in a box after a bargain alert here last year. After a brief oh no the computer just died scare, I'll be setting it up over the weekend.

on the box, there's an indication of being able to access the device remotely, so do i necessarily need (want?) the pogoplug device as well then?

Probably not, western digital bought a company for their remote access stuff so its pretty good. Pogoplug has useful ipad, iphone, android apps not sure if wd do.

Overall I think pogoplug is ok for technophobes but it all seems very badly implemented I plugged in my smallest usb drive which is 250gb and it took days to index it I assumed once the index was built browsing would be instantaneous unfortunately not if I load up my album list on android it loads a bout 20 and stops until I scroll to the bottom then I have to scroll another 20 takes about 5 mins to get to the bottom of the list everytime I scroll it trashes the disk.

Unfortunately the wife and kids have already discovered it so I won't get to install archlinux and make it work properly.

Edit: it looks like minidnla might keep the others happy.

Interesting email re the 100 GB online "storage"
    Please note that the new offsite storage does not work in the same way as 5GB web cloud does.The offsite storage is meant for archiving files and folders strictly for backup purposes, and does not have any access, streaming or sharing features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

am i missing something here about delivery to ireland
    * Free Device Offer available in: U.S., UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Luxembourg, and Switzerland

@Moodrater: Wifi actually does work if you manually specify the ssid and password in the settings however it doesn't show any networks before or after connecting so it looks like its not working.

Pogoplug has been thrashing my disk now for 3 solid days still not indexed can't imagine what it will be like with my larger drives. Other people on old pogoplugged forum saying that it indexes drives to the point of failure. Definitely installing archlinux and minidnla now.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Arrived yesterday, Pro model with wifi. Great deal

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »

Pogoplug has been thrashing my disk now for 3 solid days still not indexed can't imagine what it will be like with my larger drives. Other people on old pogoplugged forum saying that it indexes drives to the point of failure. Definitely installing archlinux and minidnla now.

Did it stop spinning eventually ?

Had a look through the guides for ArchLinux, MiniDLNA - intimidating enough.
    Don't suppose anyone's got a link to a dummy's guide ?
    Really only need this to do Windows file sharing.

Advertisement