Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-07-2012, 11:21   #106
MYOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinasea View Post
Aer blo**y Lingus have been robbing the Irish blind for too many years
If there's blind loyalty here, its you to Ryanair.

Aer Lingus are very often cheaper than Ryanair for the same route/date combination. Ryanair haven't been a particularly cheap airline for some time.

Ryanair only sell as many seats as they do as people assume they are *always* cheaper and don't check anyone else. Irish people have a surreal Stockholm Syndrome towards Ryanair.

Last edited by MYOB; 21-07-2012 at 11:23.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-07-2012, 13:40   #107
bmaxi
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinasea View Post

Keep going guys, as you will soon have shot the goose that lays the golden egg and you will be stranded on this godforsaken Island of the 1970’s with flights that only Boybands can afford.
Very possibly, and unfortunately for the travelling public those flights will be provided by Ryanair.
21-07-2012, 14:36   #108
etchyed

There are a depressing number of really quite thick people posting in this thread, who seem to have attached a personality to Ryanair and become emotionally attached to it, rather than realising that it's a business, which will always have as its number one priority the maximisation of profit, as any business should.
21-07-2012, 14:55   #109
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
But note Easyjet rarely competes head on with Ryanair. If they start trying to get into a price war with Ryanair, that profit will evaporate very quickly. No airline will take on Ryanair in their own back yard. Just not going to happen.

And it still won't give ballooba want he claims he wants. Easyjet is just another low cost carrier, with no frequent flyer program, etc.
Go and Easyjet did try to compete with Ryanair on their own turf.

Who else has ?

The key point is the high cost airlines will charge more than the low cost ones. If prices rise at the bottom of the market , they will rise at the top. London - Dublin.

To book a Ryanair flight to London today it's €247 + extras , there is one cheap flight on August 10 (25.99+ ) but they are hoping you'll be one of the 10% or so who don't fly (an extra cost of booking in advance) Beyond this there are flights for 17+

I've always said Ryanair break even on the basics and the extras are pure profit.

They have and will defend this right to gouge the punters.

The high cost airlines don't really cares since they are going after a different market segment , people who will pay extra not to use Ryanair.

Yes there may be an overlap between Ryanair and the Flag Carriers, but it's not that big and it's not worth a real fares war (yes there will be ads on both sides but nothing serious)
21-07-2012, 15:35   #110
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOB View Post
If there's blind loyalty here, its you to Ryanair.
I didn't get that at all from his post. Anti Aer Lingus, yes, and like me he has a long memory. Aer Lingus shafted the Irish public for the first, I dunno, 50 years of their existence?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-07-2012, 16:01   #111
n97 mini

Quote:
Aer Lingus are very often cheaper than Ryanair for the same route/date combination. Ryanair haven't been a particularly cheap airline for some time.
Do a couple of random comparisons using Skyscanner.ie without actually searching for instances where either airlines is cheaper.

1. Tomorrow DUB-LGW
Lufthansa €100 via Paris
Ryanair €117
Aer Lingus €188

2. 22nd Sept DUB-LGW
Ryanair €21
Aer Lingus €41

3. Tomorrow DUB-EDI
Aer Lingus €83
Ryanair €124

4. 22nd Sept DUB-EDI
Ryanair €21
Aer Lingus €46

5. 22nd Sept DUB-VNO
Ryanair €61
Aer Lingus €102

6. 23 July DUB-VNO (no flights tomorrow)
Air Baltic €192 (via VIX)
Ryanair €281
Aer Lingus €301

Six flights, short notice and two months notice.
EI cheapest on one flight.
FR cheapest on three flights.
FR cheaper than EI on five flights.
Price misalignment on one flight by FR (#6)
Price misalignment on two flights by EI (#6, #1)
Total cost if flown with FR: €604
Total cost if flown with EI: €761 (+26%)

My loyalty is to my wallet, and I would have flown FR for 1, 2, 4 and 5. IE for 3 and Air Baltic for 6.
21-07-2012, 16:13   #112
bmaxi
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
I didn't get that at all from his post. Anti Aer Lingus, yes, and like me he has a long memory. Aer Lingus shafted the Irish public for the first, I dunno, 50 years of their existence?

Yet now you want to grant the same opportunity to Ryanair. I don't know what grounds you have to assume that removing competition will mean Ryanair will keep prices low. Do you think that removing Aldi, Dunne's, Lidl, Supervalu etc, would mean Tesco would still be a cheap place to shop? Doesn't make any business sense whatsoever. There are no moral values when it comes to share values.
Thanks from:
21-07-2012, 16:26   #113
MYOB

Quote:
You should read his post more clearly "believe the media has it in for Ryanair" for starters.

One of many people in this country who believe the Sainted Mick can do no wrong.

Do those SkyScanner prices include Ryanair's multitude of unavoidable extras? Or take in to account that its generally cheaper to take a bag on any other airline but them?
21-07-2012, 16:52   #114
bkehoe

Send a message via ICQ to bkehoe
Quote:
Do those SkyScanner prices include Ryanair's multitude of unavoidable extras? Or take in to account that its generally cheaper to take a bag on any other airline but them?
And the fact that Aer Lingus allow one to have more hand luggage - a bag such as a laptop bag in addition to your main carryon.

Back to the topic of Aer Lingus being sold, I and most other people in the industry would be of the strong opinion that Ryanair holding such a large amount of Aer Lingus shares at the moment is actually a deterrent to another large airline group launching a takeover offer. Once they're forced to sell their shareholding it should become clearer what future path Aer Lingus takes. Personally I think that if in 10 years they're still independent then that's not a problem. EI very successfully serves the market it's targeted at and provides a quality service for its passengers. The growth opportunities are quite limited for an airline that doesn't have growth plans like an airline like Ryanair...if they're making money then let them continue.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-07-2012, 17:13   #115
jackofalltrades

Quote:
Plenty of airlines have pockets deep enough to offer €0.00 seats long enough to establish a foot hold surely?
Easyjet would be the airline with one of the closest operating costs and they got their fingers burnt to the extent that they pulled out of Ireland. You've mentioned Lufthansa and Air France-KLM, both of which have a higher cost base, lower % revenue from ancillaries, don't have a base in Ireland and wouldn't have the same brand recognition with the Irish public.

And on top of all that, these airlines would be risking Ryanair competiting head to head with them in their own countries.
Thanks from:
21-07-2012, 17:21   #116
n97 mini

Quote:
You should read his post more clearly "believe the media has it in for Ryanair" for starters.
Saw that, still don't get any love for Ryanair.

Quote:
Do those SkyScanner prices include Ryanair's multitude of unavoidable extras?
Yes, all charges, including EI's €6 charge that you can't avoid even if you get a sad excuse for a debit card (like FR's).
21-07-2012, 17:24   #117
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaxi View Post
Yet now you want to grant the same opportunity to Ryanair. I don't know what grounds you have to assume that removing competition will mean Ryanair will keep prices low.
Hmm, you might need to read my posts again. I have no grá for EI for historical reasons, but I will still fly with them if they are the cheapest.

I am a firm believer in competition (almost fanatical), but I don't believe that competition has to be in the form of EI. As I said earlier, I don't expect EI to exist much in 10 years, even if Etihad or Lufthansa buys them.
21-07-2012, 18:23   #118
MYOB

Quote:

Yes, all charges, including EI's €6 charge that you can't avoid even if you get a sad excuse for a debit card (like FR's).
Visa Electron for EI. No idea who here issues them, but its a bit more open than a Ryanair-issued card only as FR either have or are going to require.
21-07-2012, 20:26   #119
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchyed View Post
There are a depressing number of really quite thick people posting in this thread
No need for comments like this.
21-07-2012, 23:02   #120
n97 mini

Quote:
Visa Electron for EI. No idea who here issues them, but its a bit more open than a Ryanair-issued card only as FR either have or are going to require.
Let's be fair here and not blinded by hatred.

FR have a useless debit card that almost no-one would want, but none the less it exists and you can avoid the €6 charge with it.

EI require a Visa Electron which is not issued in Ireland, and therefore the €6 is totally unavoidable.

Scores for Irish customer service on this particular issue:
FR 1 out of 100
EI 0 out of 100

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion