Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my Job because I have diabetes

Options
  • 21-07-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I would appreciate any advice here on what i need to do. I lost my job just because I was diagnosis with type 1 diabetes.Just because i requested my Manager to adjust my shift so i could be taking my insulin,only for him to tell me that he can not guaranty me job anymore that my 3 months contract i signed have expired. I worked 5 days after the expiration of my contract before i got sick.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Moved from Long Term Illness as you might get a better response regarding the employment issues here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I think this is a sticky wicket here. Are you employed on a permanent or contract basis? If it's contract, I'm not sure there's much you can do. They can simply let the contract expire and not renew it.

At the same time, I think it is very unfair of your manager to let you go simply because you asked for your hours to be adjusted in order to take medication. It's also ignorant. Just because you're diabetic does not mean you cannot do a good job. I'm not too sure of the laws here, but in the UK where I'm from that would be discrimination and grounds for a tribunal.

Either way, I'd be seeking advice from NERA pronto. I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The company could have made a decision to terminate the contract already. Obviously if the medical issues were the sole reason for the termination then thats an issue but since you are not permanent OP then they are entitled to terminate the contract.

Op, how long have you been working there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

So you were working after your contract expired

Were there supposed to offer you a new contract?

They didn't let you go immediately when the contract ended, you were there a short while and then you were let go

So what was your status at that stage? Full time but on probation and not permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 johnkenn

I started working March 7 2012 with the company and signed 3month contracts,but after 1 months due to my good job my supervisor told me to change my uniform that indicates that my contract will be renew. I last worked on the 10th of June and even got roaster for the other week,before i got sick and could not go to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I think you should contact the Equality Authority. It might be worth your while to contact the Diabetes Association of Ireland . Citizen's Information might be able to give you more information. Good Luck

@mikemac1. I was on 3months probation. I worked some days after the expiration of my contract and even got roaster for the other week before i was sick. I was made to understand that i was doing a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You really have no rights here.
    You are on contract and out of contract so they have no obligation to you.
    Unfair dismissal only kicks in after 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Op you never stated what your occupation is if it involves driving either a bus or truck you could be disqualify from driving

• Registered Users Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You really have no rights here.
    You are on contract and out of contract so they have no obligation to you.
    Unfair dismissal only kicks in after 2 years.

I'm not sure if that's 100% true: you may have no rights under employment law, but you may have some under disability discrimination laws.

That said, you do need to be able to perform the job safely after the employer has made reasonable modifications, and as someone had said there can be issues in some occupations. With Type I diabetes, people often need to monitor their blood sugar regularly, be able to eat when their body requires (which isn't always with the clock), and if they get it wrong they can lose control of their body and require assistance - this cannot be accommodated in some jobs.

OP, contacting the Equality Authority sounds like a good suggestion. Good luck in managing your health, and in finding another job.

NB it looks like you may have used your real name to post here. If you come to regret that (eg prospective employers google you and find it), then report the post and one of the mods can deal with it for you.

• Advertisement

@tatranska. I was working as a security officer.

Thanks JustMary i appreciate all suggestion here. I will contact the Equality Authority tomorrow and see what they say.

Advertisement