Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-07-2012, 20:09   #1
Slaphead07

Tofurkey in Dublin

I dropped into the wonderful Supervalu in Churchtown today (it's not like other Supervalus!) and spotted some Tofurkey products.

Slices and "Polish" sausages were on offer. I've only tasted the "oven roasted" slices so far and they were a bit bland but I know they'd taste better in a sandwich. A chunky 156gm pack of slices is €3.86 and a pack of 4 big sausages weighing 397gm is €5.51

Not cheap but certainly not prohibitive either.

Will report back after further testing!

http://www.tofurky.com/index.html
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-07-2012, 20:25   #2
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

Was that the price when on offer?!

Must give these a try thanks. Wonder do other supervalus have it.
19-07-2012, 20:30   #3
Slaphead07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
Was that the price when on offer?!

Must give these a try thanks. Wonder do other supervalus have it.
No that was just the shelf price, I don't expect them to be on offer anytime soon.

the Churchtown SV is a rather special place! Fantastic selection of foods in every department and even a Kosher section which stocks vegetarian food no other SV would even be aware of. The tofurkey was stocked besdie these kosher products, they'd have a few more items I've never seen anywhere else as well and of course Tivall and a few other 'known' brands.
(2) thanks from:
19-07-2012, 21:01   #4
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

Oh i must have misunderstood, I thought you said they were on offer in the OP, but you just meant available I take it, heh.
I hope to visit this haven some day.
19-07-2012, 22:14   #5
Tabitharose

best supervalu.... in fact best shop around - have some in the fridge to try too
Advertisement
20-07-2012, 00:11   #6
Little Alex

Yeah, the SuperValu in Churchtown is good spot, alright! I haven't seen the Tofurky stuff there, but I'll check it out the next time I'm threre. The "Gourmet Bank" place a few doors down isn't bad, either.
Thanks from:
22-07-2012, 09:26   #7
Tabitharose

tried my tofurkey hot dogs last night - they were pretty good possibly the best "hot dogs" I've ever had - mind you they aren't cheap so they'd want to be lol
03-08-2012, 12:50   #8
spiralbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaphead07 View Post
I dropped into the wonderful Supervalu in Churchtown today (it's not like other Supervalus!) and spotted some Tofurkey products.

Slices and "Polish" sausages were on offer. I've only tasted the "oven roasted" slices so far and they were a bit bland but I know they'd taste better in a sandwich. A chunky 156gm pack of slices is €3.86 and a pack of 4 big sausages weighing 397gm is €5.51

Not cheap but certainly not prohibitive either.

Will report back after further testing!

http://www.tofurky.com/index.html
Thanks, will pop in this weekend and have a look!
28-08-2012, 16:11   #9
Slaphead07

I've since tried the 'hot dogs' and the peppered slices and I have to say all the products seem to have an aftertaste that I just don't like. Pity. I really wanted to like them! The peppered slices were about the best because the pepper hid the aftertaste.
Advertisement
28-08-2012, 16:45   #10
spiralbound

We thought the kielbasa and 'roast beef' deli slices had a powdered garlic aftertaste, but everything else was pretty good (also tried the hickory smoked turkey, peppered slices, turkey slices and italian sausage).
01-09-2012, 20:40   #11
Moonbaby

I tried the Italian sausage. I liked them, the texture is better than Vegideli (Who I feel have gone down hill recently).
They were too pricey for what they are though.
So I don't think I would buy them again.
13-02-2013, 10:16   #12
spiralbound

Sadly, Tofurkey in Churchtown is no more - I was in Supervalu twice since Christmas, and they didn't have it, and gave them a ring yesterday, their supplier can't get it any more.
Thanks from:
13-02-2013, 14:22   #13
Slaphead07

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralbound View Post
Sadly, Tofurkey in Churchtown is no more - I was in Supervalu twice since Christmas, and they didn't have it, and gave them a ring yesterday, their supplier can't get it any more.
The Asia Market in Drury Street have a frozen roast half chicken type thing. It's not bad. When you go in the entrance head straight for the freezer at the very back.
On another note I haven't seen the incredible satay sticks in there in a while. Marvelous yokes.
13-02-2013, 21:46   #14
sweet-rasmus

Send a message via MSN to sweet-rasmus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaphead07 View Post
The Asia Market in Drury Street have a frozen roast half chicken type thing. It's not bad. When you go in the entrance head straight for the freezer at the very back.
On another note I haven't seen the incredible satay sticks in there in a while. Marvelous yokes.
Tell me more about these (and possibly other!) frozen veggie foods in the Asia Market. I'm often in there, but the lack of English on many products steers me away from looking around. Do the products you mention have any English on them? Can you describe them a little? ...and I haven't a clue what satay sticks are! Looking forward to hearing more

Also - any idea if these products are also suitable for vegans?
14-02-2013, 10:36   #15
--LOS--
=^.^=

never even saw this tofurkey thread till now and it's too late

nourish also seem to have stopped stocking those lovely mixed cocktail sausages, I asked about ordering them in before and they tried but couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-rasmus View Post
Tell me more about these (and possibly other!) frozen veggie foods in the Asia Market. I'm often in there, but the lack of English on many products steers me away from looking around. Do the products you mention have any English on them? Can you describe them a little? ...and I haven't a clue what satay sticks are! Looking forward to hearing more

Also - any idea if these products are also suitable for vegans?
There was a thread here. Someone says there that the products are mostly vegan, I've no idea tbh though coz I never checked that. In my experience the products in asia market do often have english on them, you might have to look hard for it though. The skewers are often out of stock there or sometimes hiding at the back mixed up with the other veggie stuff. The skewers are amazin imo. All the stuff is in the freezer doors at the back over to the right.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion