Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trumps's new Scottish Links

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Amazing parcel of land it's laid out on, no question about that and the pictures are fab. It has already received rave reviews from certain sports journalists that have had an early play on it. Golf World ranked it as number 8 in their top100 GB&I rankings earlier this year which is the highest new entry ever for their listings. Trump reckons it's the greatest golf course in the world but of course he would say that. To be fair it might be number 8 on their list but I can't see it rising any further given the courses ahead of it - eg Muirfield, St Andrews, Royal County Down etc. I don't think it's possible to build a course nowadays that can surpass any of the ones listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

I'd do well to lose less than 20 balls :eek:

Edit: then I'd have to borrow 20 more for the back 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭MP62

Have to say that looks class and hopefully it plays as well as it looks, also I believe it was an irish company that constructed the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ipitydafool

MP62 wrote: »
    Have to say that looks class and hopefully it plays as well as it looks, also I believe it was an irish company that constructed the course.

Course pics look great. If it is already being ranked that high and ahead of two cracking new courses in Scotland- Castle Stuart and St Andrews (Castle Course) then fair play to them. Yeah looks like Irish company built it alright Sol Golf- http://www.solgolfconst.com/.

Even though we have too many golf courses in Ireland, apart from the European club how many of the newer courses built since the 1990s have been links? seems like Scotland has now got three great new links courses in as many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

You know, because of Trump being behind this, I really wanted it to just another mundane corporate course but f#ck me, this looks amazing. Just spectacular!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

One has to wonder what Bartra Island would look like if Faldo ever got his hands on it

Anyone ever hear anything about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

That Sol golf crowd built the practice facilities at Harrington's and McIlroy's houses also. Must give them a call meself, have a few quid knocking around and a spare patch of grass between the dog run and the coal bunker.

Regarding Trump's course in Scotland, it appears he has trodden on a fair few toes to get what he has... http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/10/donald-trump-100m-golf-course

Great looking course though. I believe Pat Ruddy turned down the opportunity of developing that same plot of land before Trump got involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Doonbeg is another new course and maybe the second courses at Ballyliffen and Rospenna not sure when Carne was built but in is fairly young. Think most of the links land has been built on or is in places like the west coast of Mayo where there would never be a market for another course.
    I think Ireland have around half the links courses in the world i may be wrong about that tho.
    The Trump course looks super and when i go on a golf trip to Scotland i will try to play it.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds. To say he does not have a lot of local support is a little bit of an understatement:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/10/donald-trump-andy-murray-scotland-golf

I especially like this bit, sums up Trump:

In his bizarre appearance before Holyrood's energy committee, Trump explained his opposition to the planned European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre – a test centre that should help reduce the need for onshore wind farms – by calling it a "tourism-crushing eyesore". Asked for proof, he responded with the unforgettable line, "I am the evidence." It grabbed headlines – it also sealed the man's fate.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/jul/10/donald-trump-scottish-golf-course-video

It cant help Monty's popularity in that part of Scotland...

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

Nice looking course alright. I just had a little read of some newspaper articles though and the way Trump has treated a couple of the residents is nothing short of despicable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Read an article about it in a magazine,he seems to work on any publicity is good publicity MO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Have to say, if they are real photos (not pr photoshop) that is the most amazing place I have ever seen. Even if I can't stand the guy. They seem to have pulled out all the trumps there (sorry).

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Have to say, if they are real photos (not pr photoshop) that is the most amazing place I have ever seen. Even if I can't stand the guy. They seem to have pulled out all the trumps there (sorry).
    A lot of colour manipulation on the photos's to make it look even more spectacular however it does look exactly that... spectacular! Id still rather the Old Head ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Certainly spectacular from what I can see. Reminiscent of Carne with those high dunes.

I know one person involved in its construction who was at pains to point out how cold it is in that part of Scotland.

As for where it ranks, well that'll depend on how prepared Trump is to wine and dine the journalists et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

It's like the European on steroids.

I love links golf and would love a crack at this place

The steroids being the colour manipulation in the pictures imo. The European would be hard to beat anywhere in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

The steroids being the colour manipulation in the pictures imo. The European would be hard to beat anywhere in the world.

I don't think there is a single hole at the European Club that could be described as weak. That's testament to the time and patience that went into designing it.

Certainly a more sympathetic approach than was taken at Trumps links, if the accounts are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Pedalstool wrote: »
    I don't think there is a single hole at the European Club that could be described as weak. That's testament to the time and patience that went into designing it.

Not a fan of #18 myself, those sleepers protecting the green are a bit tacky and take away from the other 17 holes. A very weak finishing hole.

Takes away from the other 17? How. I think its a lovely finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Takes away from the other 17? How. I think its a lovely finish.

Very difficult drive. Bunkers are all you can see so the perfect drive is just over the corner to still leave yourself about 180 tithe flag(probably 100 for the majority on here ;)

That's a long iron shot into a green where you can't run it in with the water all across the front and a bunker behind the green. Water on the left also.Lay up and try get up and down or try fly it with all the risk?

Card buster hole!

Brilliant finishing hole IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

ForeRight wrote: »
    Very difficult drive. Bunkers are all you can see so the perfect drive is just over the corner to still leave yourself about 180 tithe flag(probably 100 for the majority on here ;)

That's a long iron shot into a green where you can't run it in with the water all across the front and a bunker behind the green. Water on the left also.Lay up and try get up and down or try fly it with all the risk?

Card buster hole!

Brilliant finishing hole IMHO

I think it'd be a much better hole without the stream in front of the green. Looks very out of place to me and adds nothing in terms of aesthetics or quality. The green itself is also severely sloped, particularly the back portion, arguably unnecessary for what is already a very difficult par 4. It's an intimidating drive certainly...I'm not a fan of the sleepers in the bunkers out there and they're pretty much all you can see from the tee box :p Overall, it's not my favourite hole, and certainly not my favourite on that course, but there are worse closers out there I suppose.

Advertisement