Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fish the worm

Options
  • 09-07-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I haven’t fished in a few years and recently started back doing a bit of spinning on the clare river (I got the licence and permit sorted out 2 weeks ago).
    I am interested in trying fishing the worm but haven’t a clue about how to set it up. I’ve had a bit of a search on google but find it hard to make sense of the descriptions given and couldn’t find any diagrams showing how to set up / rig the line.
    So what do I need and how do I set it up, as regards hooks, floats, weights etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Don't like doing it myself so here is a link where you should get all your information

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/forum40.html

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

this is the set up i use on the Clare to catch salmon.
    picture is a bit rough

clare.png

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭jmurf100

Thanks for the help lads

A few questions for you Dvae:

What distance do you leave between the two plastic beads?
    Why is the line to the hook lighter than the main line?
    How do you decide what weight jumping jack to use?
    Is there any special way in hooking on the worm and how many would you put on at a time?
    Do plastic / rubber worms work?

I hope this isnt too many questions!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rockynavan

my simple set up half oz bomb on mainline swivel 10inch leder line then size 10 hook its called a running leger just google leger set ups you find what you looking for:D

the 2 plastic beads are free moving on about 8/10" of line, held between 2 swivels.

the hook line is lighter because, its better to lose a hook than 2 swivels and a jumping jack, if you get caught up in a snag.
    the jack you use depends on the height of the river. you want your worm to be moving down river as slow as possible.
    last week on the Clare i was using a 40grm jack when the water was high. yesterday i was using a 20grm as the river was a lot lower.

if i have big black heads i use only 2, but i sometimes use 4 if the worms are small.

everybody hooks their worms on differently. i usually put the hook in where the ring on the worm is. i hook it in and thread about an inch of worm on to the hook, i then slide it up over the hook and onto the line. i do this for the first 2 worms. the last worm i hook it on the same way, but this time i only slide it up the hook and not up the line.

i don't know if plastic worms work. Ive never seen anybody using them.

worms.png

• Advertisement

Dvae

Whats the idea of the two worms threaded up the line?

By the way the diagrams are a great help!

in the picture i have the 2 worms to far up the line.
    they should be down closer/touching the top of the hook.
    when salmon fishing you need a good bunch of worms on.
    they all wont fit on the hook so you need to slide some up the hook a bit.
    always make sure the tip of your hook is not covered.
    when the worms are on you can carefully slide your hand over the worms and
    see if the hook catches your hand.

out of interest where on the Clare do you fish.

Thanks Dvae, very informative.

I fish at Cregmore.

Advertisement