Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Mackerel Season

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

had a try off the yak around spike over the weekend but no joy. weed weed weed wwweeeedd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Ronan cork wrote: »
    Nothing from the pier in ballycotton last Friday...will try cobh this weekend

Had 3 allright on friday night around high tide. Still a bit early I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Patolagola

Anyone getting any around Dublin yet. I wanna get the kids out and macs when there is are great fun on the float.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

20 mackerel and 2 pollock in black head at low tide this evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭emo72

anything around dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

Hey,

thinking of heading out float fishing for mackerel soon! is it too early in the season, are the mackerel around yet?

I have a few sea floats and have everything else except the hooks, not sure which size I should be using, any tips? I use 3/0 for bass but I'm assuming they're too big for mackerel.

I would imagine something like a size 4 would be alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 labammini996

Im sure this has been done before, However id love to go mackerel fishing but have no idea when to go, where or what type of gear for that matter. If some one could help that would be great. Im nearest to Dungarvan coast area but would travel if its worth it. Also if there was anywhere near i could camp that would be better. Thanks for looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

eric90000 wrote: »
    Hey,

thinking of heading out float fishing for mackerel soon! is it too early in the season, are the mackerel around yet?

I have a few sea floats and have everything else except the hooks, not sure which size I should be using, any tips? I use 3/0 for bass but I'm assuming they're too big for mackerel.

I would imagine something like a size 4 would be alright?

A size 4 or even a size 6 is plenty or macks, I always setup up one rod with float and get a mck of the fish munger n cut it into pieces and use that was bait and leave the close enough to the pier and use mackerel rigs and feather on the other rod around mid July usually get at least 20 macks on high tide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

20 mackerel and 2 pollock in black head at low tide this evening :D

Are you serious? My friend and I were there last saturday week for 2 hours at high tide and we got nothing.

Chavways wrote: »
    Are you serious? My friend and I were there last saturday week for 2 hours at high tide and we got nothing.

Ya the place is alive with them, Caught 40 the evening after, lighthouse is better at low tide too in my opinion ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 derekohara

Is there any Mackerel been caught on the east coast at all at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I was told people are getting them in Balbriggan and they should be in Skerrie in their numbers when this weather fecks off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Saw a few being caught off pier in Skerries last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pollagh prince

any sign in salthill yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Hoping to head out tomorrow for a few hours can anyone advise anywhere on the east coast will travel... have tried Clogher and Howth both seams to have seal issue's although ive caught a nice few Pollock in howth...

That wind over the past couple of days would have forced the mackerel off shore for a while now man, i cant see you catching much in the next few days but you can always try..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    Any caught around Cork yet?
    caught one off the rocks near kinsale last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Balscadden in Howth was alive with them on Monday dozens caught. Tried the pier today and only one caught.

Tried skerries today, caught fúck all! there was about 10 people there and one smally caught between them.

Had 48 mackerel and 2 pollock in an hour and a half in black head this evening, good going me thinks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cdublin

There are macks being caught at the end of the Poolbeg pier in Ringsend.
    Some days better than others but fairly consistent at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Caught 9 in Howth (Balscadden) Plenty being caught was like a a drive through the seals who where quit happy to relieve your hooks of a fresh mackerel... Finished up with 9 as that was enough for me. Plenty being caught when i left though...

Been out the last few days. Holy Mackeral there's fecken loads of them out there at the back of Irelands eye. Same old when it comes to the seals........I hooked into a seal a few times and my antique split cane rod was snapped ;-(. Got it fixed though. I reckon that poor oul seal has a few hooks hanging out of him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭purehoor

anyone know if this place is doing ggod for mackrel

What place?? There's lots of Mackeral out there at the moment. A lot of them are very small but there's plenty of them!! Watch out for the seals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭purehoor

derekohara wrote: »
    What place?? There's lots of Mackeral out there at the moment. A lot of them are very small but there's plenty of them!! Watch out for the seals

im staying in otway cottages at martello tower. any good places nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Was up Clougherhead way yesterday and NOTHING! Thinking about heading to Dalky on Sunday morning and renting a boat, anybody know how much he charges theses days or has anybody contact info?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 potholes84

Anybody been catching anything in Tramore / Annestown / Helvick area? Havent had a chance to go yet this year

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭irishbucka

going to try clogherhead or balbriggan tommorow. i never fished clogherhead is there much space up there cause i want to bring the kids with me and i dont want to be in peoples way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Was up Clougherhead way yesterday and NOTHING! Thinking about heading to Dalky on Sunday morning and renting a boat, anybody know how much he charges theses days or has anybody contact info?

20yoyo's an hour last year, haven't been out this year yet

21/25

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement