Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 00:15   #1
Nulty
Registered User
 
Nulty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,231
Over conditioned Cider (Or Beer)

I've got a good bit of over bottle conditioned cider. I was a bit concerned about not conditioning it enough and paid the price.

Any tips on preparing the bottles for drinking?

I had some ideas. Like cracking it a day or two before drinking them so they'd flatten out or maybe they get more manageable the cooler they are. Any suggestions would be great.
Nulty is offline  
Advertisement
05-07-2012, 12:22   #2
azzeretti
Registered User
 
azzeretti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: On the button
Posts: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nulty View Post
I've got a good bit of over bottle conditioned cider. I was a bit concerned about not conditioning it enough and paid the price.

Any tips on preparing the bottles for drinking?

I had some ideas. Like cracking it a day or two before drinking them so they'd flatten out or maybe they get more manageable the cooler they are. Any suggestions would be great.
Yes, cool them. Get them as close to zero as you can (without freezing) this will make it less volatile when opening. Then you can open them, vent them and recap them. That's the only real option unless you want to just open them and let them go flat. You might be tempted to try and pour them all back into a bottling bucket and start again - I would advise against this due to the potential aeration you'd create.
azzeretti is offline  
05-07-2012, 23:19   #3
Nulty
Registered User
 
Nulty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzeretti View Post
Yes, cool them. Get them as close to zero as you can (without freezing) this will make it less volatile when opening. Then you can open them, vent them and recap them. That's the only real option unless you want to just open them and let them go flat. You might be tempted to try and pour them all back into a bottling bucket and start again - I would advise against this due to the potential aeration you'd create.
If I 'just open' them they basically erupt all over the place.

The big issue is the there is loads of yeast at the bottom of the bottles and I would prefer that the yeast didn't lift. Also afraid that if I cool them too much they'll explode. They're already pushing the caps a little.
Nulty is offline  
06-07-2012, 19:35   #4
azzeretti
Registered User
 
azzeretti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: On the button
Posts: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nulty View Post
If I 'just open' them they basically erupt all over the place.
Lowering the temperature (as close to freezing as you can) makes the CO2 less volatile when the bottle is opened and it shouldn't erupt as much.

Quote:
The big issue is the there is loads of yeast at the bottom of the bottles and I would prefer that the yeast didn't lift. Also afraid that if I cool them too much they'll explode. They're already pushing the caps a little.
They won't exploded if you don't freeze them. Still, if you have really overdone it you might not be able to save them at all to be honest.
azzeretti is offline  
07-07-2012, 20:17   #5
Nulty
Registered User
 
Nulty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzeretti View Post
Lowering the temperature (as close to freezing as you can) makes the CO2 less volatile when the bottle is opened and it shouldn't erupt as much.

They won't exploded if you don't freeze them. Still, if you have really overdone it you might not be able to save them at all to be honest.
Thanks for the input. A couple of them burst but the rest should be ok. I've got some that are in Grolsch type bottles and they seem to let off pressure through their seals but the crowns do exactly what they're supposed to. Had a couple of budvar bottles crack but the guinness and other Ale bottles are like tanks of the bottle world. Should be fine.
Nulty is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet