Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPG change on Saorview

Options
  • 29-06-2012 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

EPG Change

The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) regulates the Electronic Programme Guide (EPG). It has requested that a change be made to the channel order on the EPG. RTÉ News Now will swap places with 3e so that the new line-up will be:

• 3e on position 5, and
    • RTÉ News Now on position 6.

This change will take place on 10th July at 13.00 hrs. This will necessitate most receivers requiring a re-scan in order to continue to receive these channels. We will provide basic advice to consumers on how to do this on the SAORVIEW website.

Received this in email from Saorview.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Pity the BAI wouldn't force TV3 onto position 3 on Saorsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

How pointless is this EPG change?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How pointless is this EPG change?

Couldn't agree more.

Why is this necessary?

Did they have a big meeting to decide this?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Does RTE not understand that the majority of people affected by this change in EPG and that need to switch to saorview to continue to receive Irish TV channels are retired or older people who live in the countryside and don't know how to tune a TV/Receiver and not own a PC or would not know how switch on a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

What beats me is why they are still doing all this juggling after countless years of "testing". Forgive my stupidity but isn't that what "testing" is for? Likewise why are they not at least testing things like the audio formats, series linking and putting any audio on the AD channels. I recently had to help some very distressed pensioners who's expensive new TV had suddenly lost sound on some channels only to find they had accidentally hit the AD button on the remote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

scaller wrote: »
    Does RTE not understand that the majority of people affected by this change in EPG and that need to switch to saorview to continue to receive Irish TV channels are retired or older people who live in the countryside and don't know how to tune a TV/Receiver and not own a PC or would not know how switch on a PC.
    I'm sure they do, but it's not RTÉ's decision, you'd need to blame the pen pushers in BAI, who for reasons best known to themselves, only thought of doing this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

byte wrote: »
    I'm sure they do, but it's not RTÉ's decision, you'd need to blame the pen pushers in BAI, who for reasons best known to themselves, only thought of doing this now.

Where do you think the pressure came from ?

The whinging "commercial" outfit who have been crying for a slice of tax payers money no doubt.

We want to be on 5, not 6....

Wouldnt you think that they have more things to be worrying about like the €150 million debt, 80m of which is parked with the IBRC.

*Turns LCN off and moves them back to 6*

byte wrote: »

Who's decision is it to change Mt Leinster from Ch 45 to Ch 23 on Oct25th a day after the ASO. Mt leinster could have either been changed well before or at least 6 months after ASO. The amount of unwanted grief this going to cause Aerial riggers with people ringing to say we lost our Saorview channels Blah blah blah this blah blah blah that.

Who's decision is it to change Mt Leinster from Ch 45 to Ch 23 on Oct25th a day after the ASO. Mt leinster could have either been changed well before or at least 6 months after ASO.

Ch 23 from Mount Leinster is used for TG4 Analogue, so it's not available until 25 October.

MarkK wrote: »
    Ch 23 from Mount Leinster is used for TG4 Analogue, so it's not available until 25 October.

In the Area and business I am in I know that well,

What I am saying is RTE could have used any channel between 26 and 39 and left it so instead of all this moving around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Simply TV

One of the things that confuses me is that i thought one of the advantages of having and promoting saorview approved products was that you wouldn't have to constantly rescan for every change the make to the platform... Guess that wasn't to be true either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Who's decision is it to change Mt Leinster from Ch 45 to Ch 23 on Oct25th a day after the ASO.

According to RTÉNL last Thur Mt Leinster changes frequency at ASO on Oct 24th, sometime after 10 am. Who said it will be changing the day after?
    Ch.45 will change to Ch.23 at Analogue Switch-Off (24th October 2012)

http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/SAORVIEW-Frequencies-Rev-2.0.pdf

In the Area and business I am in I know that well,

What I am saying is RTE could have used any channel between 26 and 39 and left it so instead of all this moving around.

If you are in the business you should know they can't pick "any channel between 26 and 39" because they have to avoid interference with Welsh transmitters.

If you are in the business you should know they can't pick "any channel between 26 and 39" because they have to avoid interference with Welsh transmitters.

Its well known and there are many a thread here about the Interference between Lenister and the Welsh being centred around Ch45 been chosen for MT Leinster when Preseli had channels on Ch45.

Preseili ch42 ch43 ch45 ch46 ch49 ch50

Mt Leinster ch 45

Mt leinster was on Ch39 and was then moved to Ch45. What was wrong with Leinster been left on ch39 up to the DSO. And then moved to CH 23 sometime after that.

The Cush wrote: »
    According to RTÉNL last Thur Mt Leinster changes frequency at ASO on Oct 24th, sometime after 10 am. Who said it will be changing the day after?

I do Apologise with regards to Oct25th
    I received word a while back from transmission@rte.ie telling me Oct25th.

Either way its still going to cause Aggro for Installers with people phoning to say that they have lost Saorview after they paid to get a new system installed to replace the Analouge service.

What was wrong with Leinster been left on ch39 up to the DSO. And then moved to CH 23 sometime after that.
    I don't know why you would expect me to know.
    Perhaps Mount Leinster using Ch39 was causing interference somewhere.
    I believe Ch39 is used by several relays.
    Either way its still going to cause Aggro for Installers with people phoning to say that they have lost Saorview after they paid to get a new system installed to replace the Analouge service.

Yes, it will cause problems whenever they do it so delaying it to after analogue switch off would be of no benefit as
    1. Viewers will lose service whenever they do it and cause aggro for installers
    2. The interference on Ch45 you have already mentioned means it should be moved from there as soon as is reasonable.

Markk my comment (What was wrong with Leinster been left on ch39 up to the DSO.) was said openly and not mainly directed at yourself. This is what happens when we all start quoting each others posts.
    1 thing for sure the sooner the DSO comes and goes the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Isn't it funny how they can change Three Rock to one of it's other allocated freqs in a few days and can't change Mt L even though it is causing interference now. Ohhh I forgot, Mt L doesn't feed Dublin 4 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

Simply TV wrote: »
    One of the things that confuses me is that i thought one of the advantages of having and promoting saorview approved products was that you wouldn't have to constantly rescan for every change the make to the platform... Guess that wasn't to be true either.

That was my question too. I would have thought an EPG change should be seamless like on freesat. Any reason why it's not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Also by using an old analogue frequency all the aerial and matching adjustments are already done, a big cost saving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

dellWlan wrote: »
    That was my question too. I would have thought an EPG change should be seamless like on freesat. Any reason why it's not?

Saorview does not use a proprietary EPG delivery via MHEG5/Huffman table like Freesat for Channel positioning/epg.

The EPG is delivered via SI tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Mt. Leinster's RRC06 allocations were E23, E26, E30, E34, E39, E42, E45 & E49

A good while back when the frequency clashes between Mt. Leinster and Preseli were being discussed, I suggested moving the first Saorview multiplex from E45 to E34 to (a) allow a clear channel free from any interference from transmitters in Wales, (b) fall into current Group A aerials, and (c) should be able to be receivable on most Group B aerials recently installed.

E39 will be used by Preseli from October along with E40 as part of the wider clearing of E60 and E61 of TV use in the UK, giving up E49 and E50 in the process.

As for the EPG number change, it seems to be a petty cosmetic change through commercial pressure by the TV3 group. Technically it's not an EPG number change as it would be on UPC, Sky or Freesat but an LCN number change; it's for this reason most DTT receivers will need a retune to correct this.

This from Aertel 169 RTÉNL Technical Information
    Re-scan message

In order to accommodate essential upgrade work, viewers receiving the SAORVIEW service are asked to re-scan their televisions or set-top-boxes after 2pm on Tuesday 10th July. Instructions will be found in your TV or set-top box manual. For more information go to the SAORVIEW website or call the information helpline 1890 222 012:

After rescanning, viewers should see a slight change to the channel line up on their EPG. RTÉ News Now will swap places with 3e so that the new line-up will be:
    • 3e on position 5, and

This change has been made at the request of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland.

Short Term signal outage on 10th July (UHF channel 54 to UHF channel 30)
    In order to undertake the necessary works viewers in the greater Dublin area that receive the SAORVIEW service from the Three Rock transmission site will, unfortunately, experience a service outage from 09:00 to 13:00 hrs on the 10th July. When the service restores at 14:00 hrs affected receivers must be re-scanned to receive SAORVIEW service.

This change coincides with the EPG change also planned for this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

So what will happen to some who doesnt do a a rescan, will they lose the channels completley or will they just be unable to access them from the epg.

jonnygee wrote: »
    So what will happen to some who doesnt do a a rescan, will they lose the channels completley or will they just be unable to access them from the epg.

Don't know but I guess you'll find out on Tuesda afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Installed an aerial to a walker saorview approved tv today and the channels came on in the new order on the EPG, 3e on 5 and Rte News on 6.

Extinction wrote: »
    Installed an aerial to a walker saorview approved tv today and the channels came on in the new order on the EPG, 3e on 5 and Rte News on 6.

Just did re-scan on a 4 year old Sony, RTÉ News Now and 3e have swapped over.

Information on the epg change up on the Saorview news page
    SAORVIEW RESCAN REQUESTED AFTER 2PM ON 10TH JULY
    05. 07. 2012

In order to accommodate essential transmitter upgrade work, viewers receiving the SAORVIEW service are asked to re-scan their televisions or set-top-boxes after 2pm on Tuesday 10th July. Instructions will be found in your TV or set-top box manual. For more information go to Information Guide for re-scan box or tv or call the information helpline 1890 222 012.

After rescanning, viewers should see a slight change to the channel line up on their EPG. RTÉ News Now will swap places with 3e so that the new line-up will be:

• 3e on position 5, and

This change has been made at the request of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland

http://www.saorview.ie/news/saorview-rescan-requested-after-2pm-on-10th-july/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Have a 2010 Sony TV. Just checked and 3e is on channel 5 and RTE News Now on 6. I didn't have to retune or do anything!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Ditto with an LG (LH2000 series), 3e and RTE News Now have swapped positions. No rescan needed.

Advertisement