Bought a PC with windows 7 - can I get windows 8? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-07-2012, 17:36   #1
dulpit

Send a message via MSN to dulpit
Bought a PC with windows 7 - can I get windows 8?

Hey, my parents had to buy a new PC the other day, and it (obviously) came with Windows 7. There was a note up about being eligible to buy an upgrade to Windows 8 for like €15, but what I was wondering is:
- Is this something you should have done when buying PC?
- Is this something that will only apply for the PC you bought? Or could you take the upgrade disc and install it on a different machine?

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?
Advertisement
04-07-2012, 17:38   #2
dulpit

Send a message via MSN to dulpit

Should have looked harder, the information on windowsupgradeoffer.com says:

Quote:
Each upgrade license will apply to only one PC and may only be installed on PCs with a valid base license to a qualifying operating system (i.e., Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista or Windows 7).

While the offer will be limited to eligible customers who purchase a qualified PC, the upgrade may be installed on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying operating system. Visit http://windows.com for information on Windows 8 minimum requirements. Customers should visit their PC manufacturer’s website for more information on how to upgrade their PC to Windows 8, including updated software and drivers.
So looks like i could take the windows 8 and stick it on my laptop, correect?
04-07-2012, 19:06   #3
yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulpit View Post

Should have looked harder, the information on windowsupgradeoffer.com says:

So looks like i could take the windows 8 and stick it on my laptop, correect?
It will probably only work with the machine you buy. The deal usually is is that you receive the Windows 8 install media from the manufacturer (Dell, Sony, Toshiba etc.) and they preload the install disc with the drivers are crapware pcs come with. When you install Windows 8 microsoft will then de-authorize the windows 7 key so it cannot be used again and you have Windows 8. This is what it was like for the free Vista upgrade so I can't imagine it being much more different

Nick

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion