Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'HD not supported' - DTV

Options
  • 04-07-2012 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi!

Buyed my Samsung LE40A556P1F in 2008 knowing that there is an DigitalTV obligation in europe i saw that this TV is DTV comptable, buye'd it and waited in a peace of mind for Digital change to happen in Ireland...

Now its happening searched in DTV mode channels it found 18(TV & radio) but I only get the sound for the channels and on TV channels I have a text 'HD Not Supported' ... :confused: Im confused.. I have FullHD TV but he is saying that hd is not supported... And the strange thing is that RTE+1 IS working like it should be with video and audio!

I have installed the newest FW that i can get for the TV and also have tried the reset function but the same and changing 'country' in channel search also dosent work(tried all of country's listed)

I dont want to buy an external decoder becaude I've allready have 4 remotes on my desk and another one would be disaster! :D And buying new TV just for this when my old one is working great is just stupid... I want to ask is there any CAM modules available in Ireland that i can slide in my CAM slot and watch my Irish channels in digital? Or maybe there is an different sollution?
    I live in Dundalk if this helps!

Thanks for helping!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

LooNeYlv wrote: »
    Buyed my Samsung LE40A556P1F in 2008 knowing that there is an DigitalTV obligation in europe i saw that this TV is DTV comptable, buye'd it and waited in a peace of mind for Digital change to happen in Ireland...

I live in Dundalk if this helps!

Your nearest transmitter, Clermont Carn I assume, has been on air with digital TV since Aug 2008.
    Now its happening searched in DTV mode channels it found 18(TV & radio) but I only get the sound for the channels and on TV channels I have a text 'HD Not Supported' ... :confused: Im confused.. I have FullHD TV but he is saying that hd is not supported... And the strange thing is that RTE+1 IS working like it should be with video and audio!

I dont want to buy an external decoder becaude I've allready have 4 remotes on my desk and another one would be disaster! :D And buying new TV just for this when my old one is working great is just stupid... I want to ask is there any CAM modules available in Ireland that i can slide in my CAM slot and watch my Irish channels in digital? Or maybe there is an different sollution?

Audio with no video normally indicates a non compatible receiver, MPEG-2 video decoder instead of the Saorview required MPEG-4 video decoder. As you receive RTÉ1+1 it appears to have the MPEG-4 decoder.

A similar question was asked here previously IIRC, audio on all channels and video on RTÉ1+1 only. It could be the 0x16 / 0x19 Service Type problem which has afflicted older Panasonics (do a search in the forum for 0x16, 0x19). Someone posted here that the service type for RTÉ1+1 was different which may be the reason you see it.

If that is the problem no way to solve it AFAIK and no CAM available I'm afraid. Saorview STB will be required with that TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LooNeYlv

The Cush wrote: »
    A similar question was asked here previously IIRC, audio on all channels and video on RTÉ1+1 only. It could be the 0x16 / 0x19 Service Type problem which has afflicted older Panasonics (do a search in the forum for 0x16, 0x19). Someone posted here that the service type for RTÉ1+1 was different which may be the reason you see it.

Yeah but I have a Samsung not panasonic :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will lose all channels as they go HD..Rte2 SO FAR AND Rte1 soon.

Yeah but I have a Samsung not panasonic :rolleyes:

Yes I know, but the problem may be similar.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Don't think it's the Sky Picnic Box/Triax TR110 MPEG-4 L3.0/L4.0 problem as the OP doesn't have RTÉ1 SD or RTÉ2 HD etc. only RTÉ1+1.

I remember someone posting previously that they had lost all the channels with the 0x16/0x19 change but RTÉ1+1 had returned as the service type had changed on that particular channel back to 0x01.

Can anyone check the data stream for the service type on RTÉ1+1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    When will RTE 1 go HD ?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Audio with no video normally indicates a non compatible receiver, MPEG-2 video decoder instead of the Saorview required MPEG-4 video decoder....

The manual (2008 version) for model LE40A556 states (on page 11):

"Any functions related to Digital TV (DVB) will only work in countries or areas where DVB-T (MPEG2) digital terrestrial signals are broadcasted"

Very few 2008H1 TV sets did support MPEG-4 HP L4 decompression. This is a DVB-T/MPEG-2 set and a Saorview or maybe better a FreeviewHD box is needed (or a new IDTV)

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

reslfj wrote: »

"Any functions related to Digital TV (DVB) will only work in countries or areas where DVB-T (MPEG2) digital terrestrial signals are broadcasted"

Very few 2008H1 TV sets did support MPEG-4 HP L4 decompression. This is a DVB-T/MPEG-2 set and a Saorview or maybe better a FreeviewHD box is needed (or a new IDTV)

If that were true then RTÉ+1 could not be displayed surely?
    It is MPEG-4 like all other Irish DTT broadcasts, is it not?

His TV appears to be one with an MPEG-4 video decoder (L3.0 or L4.0?) as he posts
    I have FullHD TV but he is saying that hd is not supported... And the strange thing is that RTE+1 IS working like it should be with video and audio!

Doesn't appear to be an MPEG-4 L3.0 or L4.0 problem as he says he has RTÉ1+1 but none of the other SD or HD channels. RTÉ1+1 is an SD L3.0 channel. Back to the service type used for this channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Its an MPEG2 TV.

It doesn't do MPEG4 L3 or 4 as it doesnt have either.

Full HD has nothing to do with MPEG4. (The TV is HD ready which means something completely different to the tuner/processor that is on board).

I have no explanations about RTE1+1 other than they are encoding that channel from that TX in MPEG2.

• Advertisement

A little bit of correction - RTE1+1 also dont work... Works only the RTE1+1 sign that it airs from 7pm, just tested and also on this channel its only sound...

A little bit of correction - RTE1+1 also dont work... Works only the RTE1+1 sign that it airs from 7pm, just tested and also on this channel its only sound...

That confirm it, MPEG-2 only TV. Saorview STB required with that TV.

Soo.. Its full Digital now in Ireland... :) Came to my parents on holidays and wanted to look in to this matter... Now the case is that Every UK channel is working OK -
    UTV+1
    BBC News
    BBC ONENI
    BBC Parlisment
    bbc rb 301
    BBC TWO NI
    CBBC Channel
    CBeebies
    Channel 4 & +1
    Channel 5
    E4
    itv2
    More 4
    UTV & +1

but RTE ONE, TWO, JR, TG4, TV3, 3E = HD Not supported and audio is working.
    RTE ONE +1 - Data service

Soo what can I do to get Irish channels? ... How can it be that UK&NI channels are working but Irish channels dont? My parents dont want to buy another device and another remote on the table :D as there are 4 allready :D ... And especially when the TV has DTV decoder inside they dont want to spend 60+eur for the DTVBOX. :) Update please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Post the make & model of the tv with 'DTV decoder inside'. Also, what are the 4 remotes for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Post the make & model of the tv with 'DTV decoder inside'. Also, what are the 4 remotes for?

Is it not the set listed in the OP?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Well, if it is the same tv, here's your explanation OP: UK Freeview standard definition channels are MPEG2 encoded, which that tv can handle. It can't however, decode the Saorview MPEG4 video, as already pointed out.

STB wrote: »

Its an MPEG2 TV.

It doesn't do MPEG4 L3 or 4 as it doesnt have either.

Full HD has nothing to do with MPEG4. (The TV is HD ready which means something completely different to the tuner/processor that is on board).

I have no explanations about RTE1+1 other than they are encoding that channel from that TX in MPEG2.
    That confirm it, MPEG-2 only TV. Saorview STB required with that TV.
    Soo.. Its full Digital now in Ireland... :) Came to my parents on holidays and wanted to look in to this matter... Now the case is that Every UK channel is working OK -

No the UK channels are not all working - the UK/NI HD channels are not working at all.
    Soo what can I do to get Irish channels? ...

They must get a new TV set with FreeviewHD support (DVB-T2/MPEG-4) and which is Saorview approved in 2013*. (or a box with the same specs.)
    How can it be that UK&NI channels are working but Irish channels dont?....
    My parents dont want to buy....

In very many posts including my link to page 11 in the manual for the TV set, we have told you that this TV set supports MPEG-2 encoded video only, but it does not support not MPEG-4 High Profile Level 4.0, which is required for Irish Saorview (except for this morning RTE1+1 sign).

The UK is is still using the old and less efficient MPEG-2 encoding for its SD channels, but the UK HD channels uses both the MPEG-4 video encoding and the newest DVB-T2 transmissions, as will new UK HD (or SD) channels expected from Divis - next year.

* Saorview approved in 2013 must include DVB-T2 and support TV in the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

UTV+1
    BBC News
    BBC ONENI
    BBC Parlisment
    bbc rb 301
    BBC TWO NI
    CBBC Channel
    CBeebies
    Channel 4 & +1
    Channel 5
    E4
    itv2
    More 4
    UTV & +1

Soo what can I do to get Irish channels? ... How can it be that UK&NI channels are working but Irish channels dont? My parents dont want to buy another device and another remote on the table :D as there are 4 allready :D ... And especially when the TV has DTV decoder inside they dont want to spend 60+eur for the DTVBOX. :) Update please

You were told a year ago that that set is MPEG 2 and that you would need a set top box to get the Irish channels. That still applies.

Was the set bought in the republic as a set suitable for Ireland? You could have a case against the retailer for mis selling if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

winston_1 wrote: »
    You were told a year ago that that set is MPEG 2 and that you would need a set top box to get the Irish channels. That still applies.

Was the set bought in the republic as a set suitable for Ireland? You could have a case against the retailer for mis selling if so.

Not after 5 years, surely?

You did not answer the question: "Was the set bought in the republic as a set suitable for Ireland?"

TV Sets of today are buy, use and throw away devices. You can even expect that DVB-T more or less will be replaced by DVB-T2 in the next 4-7 years - at least in the UK.

The big question is much more whether we will need two upgrades to our TV sets or we can have the luck to have just one (government controlled) combined upgrade.

THe point is that both the DVB-T2 transmission and likely also the new HEVC/H.265 video standard should replace DVB-T and MPEG-2/4 before 2020.
    The TV sets are getting larger and will likely use the UtraHD standards. This will require more bandwidth or better compression/transmission.
    At the same time about 25% of the frequency spectrum now used for TV broadcast, will likely need to be reallocated for mobile broadband (4G) by 2020.
    So you need to transmit more and much higher quality video with less DTT spectrum - The existing standards will have to change.

Your TV was bought before the Irish standard was agreed. You guessed it would be OK - but it isn't.

With the addition of a € 25-40 box it can however be used.

In 2008 MPEG-4 was the standard used in all planned DSO's in Europe. MPEG-4 (L4) was needed for HD broadcast (MPEG-2 TV sets in Europe do not support HD via broadcast).

• Estonia and Norway had DSO'ed to MPEG-4 in 2007 or before.
    • Denmarks DSO plan was released in June 2007 and called for all MPEG-4 video compression at DSO in 2009. One existing public service mux was allowed to use MPEG-2 until 2012.
    • The parliament in France would make MPEG-4 mandatory in all new TV sets.
    • Ofcom in the UK made a 2007/2008 decision to combine the MPEG-4 upgrade with the mandatory use of the DVB-T2 standard from late 2009.
    All of this information and much more were easy to find at the time e.g. on the internet and even in newspapers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Normally up to 6 years but from reslfjs post it seems the Irish standard had not been agreed at the time, so in this case no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

UTV+1
    BBC News
    BBC ONENI
    BBC Parlisment
    bbc rb 301
    BBC TWO NI
    CBBC Channel
    CBeebies
    Channel 4 & +1
    Channel 5
    E4
    itv2
    More 4
    UTV & +1

I note that this is a year after your first post!

Anyhow the problem remains the same. I will try and make this as simple as possible.

You are presuming the word digital is universal. Its not.

We use a different platform (presently) and different video codecs to the UK (for standard definition and HD).

Ireland (all Saorview stations). MPEG4 (AVC) H264 L4 DVB-T/2.
    UK uses 2 plaforms. MPEG2 for Standard Definition channels on DVB-T and MPEG4 on DVB-T2 for HD channels.

THis explains why you were seeing the standard definition channels up North (presumably) in your parents house. Your television can decode MPEG2 video but not MPEG4 video. Hence the audio but not video for Saorview channels.

In order to pick up both sets of UK stations and Irish Stations you need a HD set top box (MPEG4 H264 L4 DVB-T2). You will pick up one in Argos/Internet. The boxes are labelled "Freeview HD". The integrated tuner in your television is not compatible.

Huh.. :) Strange... In my home country(Latvia where there also are MPEG4 DTV like in whole europe) I've bought samsung LCD tv with DVBT... Back in 2007 not very expensive but in normal price range... And i am watching now on it digital TV normally.. so it has MPEG4 decoder inside. My 3 friends also back in 2007 & 2008 bought for them LCD's with 'DVBT decoder' inside because they new of the digitalisation and also now they are watching without a problem...
    winston_1 wrote: »

Here in Ireland bought in Local Curry's(Dundalk) this telly for my folks in 2008 if i remember correctly.. 800 or so euros was then the price and it has only MPEG2 decoder inside... strange things selling here... :D
    Peter Rhea wrote: »

1xTV, 1x Home cinema system, 1xsatellite(to see russian channels) & 1xDVD....

Oh well will watch UK and NI channels then as 'local' channels :) Thanks for the kind help!

Huh.. Strange... In my home country(Latvia where there also are MPEG4 DTV like in whole europe) I've bought samsung LCD tv with DVBT... Back in 2007 not very expensive but in normal price range... And i am watching now on it digital TV normally.. so it has MPEG4 decoder inside. My 3 friends also back in 2007 & 2008 bought for them LCD's with 'DVBT decoder' inside because they new of the digitalisation and also now they are watching without a problem...

Here in Ireland bought in Local Curry's(Dundalk) this telly for my folks in 2008 if i remember correctly.. 800 or so euros was then the price and it has only MPEG2 decoder inside... strange things selling here... :D

Not that strange, the digital TVs on sale here at that time were for the MPEG-2 UK market as we had no DTT service. Our MPEG-4 DTT standard wasn't formally announced until the end of July that year which was after the main manufacturers had launched their 2008 range.

Countries like Estonia, Latvia etc. launched their DTT services with the MPEG-4 video decoding only so TVs with MPEG-4 decoding were required in those countries from 2006 onwards. These TVs may have not been available Europe wide until much later.

Even for up to 2 years later here some of the big manufacturers were supplying MPEG-2 only TVs in their ranges.

Sony were the first TV range with MPEG-4 decoders on sale here in 2008 iirc as I purchased one in May that year, having waited for an MPEG-4 model to become available before buying. Samsung may have released some MPEG-4 models that year also but were definitely available in 2009 as I purchased a TV/DVD combi model with MPEG-4 that year.

If you compare the full model numbers of the Samsung TVs there will be some difference, maybe a different letter or number which could indicate the different video decoders inside the TV.

Huh.. :) Strange... In my home country(Latvia where there also are MPEG4 DTV like in whole Europe) I've bought samsung LCD tv with DVBT... Back in 2007 not very expensive but in normal price range... And i am watching now on it digital TV normally.. so it has MPEG4 decoder inside. My 3 friends also back in 2007 & 2008 bought for them LCD's with 'DVBT decoder' inside because they new of the digitalisation and also now they are watching without a problem...

When I ask the Chrome browser to translate the Latvian text here: http://www.lattelecom.lv/majai/virszemes_tv_new/tehniska_informacija/
    it reads:
    "To watch DVB-T TV without an external digital TV tuner connection, you need a TV with built-in MPEG-4 digital TV receiver.

If your TV manufactured end of 2008. year, it will most likely not built-in MPEG-4 DVB-T receiver. following table contains the most popular manufacturers representative information about the TV models with MPEG-4....
    ".

Near the bottom of the page the audio but no video situation is even described.

The first few TV sets with MPEG-4 High Profile Level 4.0 support included arrived in Oslo Norway very late in 2007. The MPEG-4 sets were in 2008 somewhat restricted to the markets that broadcasted or was about to DSO using the MPEG-4 HP Level 4.0 standard e.g. Denmark.

DSO in Latvia was in 2010 and many channels seems to be SD channels - which in a MPEG-4 context is Level 3, while the MPEG-4 standard in the ROI is MPEG-4 High Profile level 4.0. Several of the early TV sets and STB's with had only MPEG-4 SD support and thus cannot receive and process the HD streams now used by Saorview.

Advertisement