Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTSC Gamecube Region Mod

Options
  • 03-07-2012 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

The US & Japanese versions of the Gamecube are region moddable [is moddable a word??] Because both are NTSC, it's possible to fit a switch that allows the console be be either a US model or a Japanese model. The PAL model is entirely different, & that requires the use of a modchip to be freed of its regional shackles.

A US Gamecube

30s90kl.jpg

It's like breaking into Fort Knox to disassemble the Gamecube

2zoxgcm.jpg

The solder pads we need to access are under the heat sink

30tjfk1.jpg

Heat sink removed, time to locate the solder pads we need to attach the switch to.

2uejo75.jpg

They are damned small, we need to attach wires to the R5 jumpers. Connecting them sets the console to Japanese, disconnecting them returns it to US.

33tp6y8.jpg

There's a recess in the housing which should accommodate the body of the switch I'm using.

nccdir.jpg

Luckily, the recess lines up with the grills for easy switch mounting.

i3s8wz.jpg

t97fx0.jpg

Wires attached to jumper pads

34pf5w4.jpg

Time to test, the switch in the down position is US, & in the up position is JP

fa6829.jpg

2u8w66o.jpg

Both regions work with their according discs, so nothing else to do but reassemble & 'continue testing' :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 retoro

Nice tut, any tips for soldering to such small points?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

This mod paid for my college rag week back in 2001 :) Some lad up on Talbot Street in Dublin imported a load of them from Japan and balls'd up a the mod on one of them so I got I think 6~8 of them to do. Good times!

He somehow broke the lid closed switch, luckily there are two switches in one so I just jumper'd the broken one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

retoro wrote: »
    Nice tut, any tips for soldering to such small points?

Plenty of practice on old/broken electronics :)

Advertisement