Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-06-2012, 18:21   #1
kryogen

KP retires from limited overs international cricket

Kevin Pieterson has announced he is no longer available to play for England in limited overs games, but does wish to continue his Test career

Edit: Dunno what happened with the thread title, maybe a mod can fix?

Last edited by kryogen; 05-06-2012 at 18:41.
Advertisement
05-06-2012, 18:30   #2
Cardinal Richelieu
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
Kevin Pieterson has announced he is no longer available to play for England in limited overs games, but does wish to continue his Test career
Tantrum over Twittergate, keeps putting his foot in it. He may back down before the 20/20 World Cup.
05-06-2012, 21:14   #3
Beasty
Searchin' for segments ....

I thought he wanted to stay in the 20/20 team and just cut out the ODI matches, but the ECB said he had to be available for both, so he decided to (literally) take his bat home. Given that background, I'm not sure they will let him sit it out to then walk back into the 20/20 team when it suits him.

TBH, in further cements Morgan into the team, with a real possibility of him moving up the order, and makes way for some of the up and coming guys
13-06-2012, 10:32   #4
Gordon Gecko

I find it incredible he's whinging about the "demanding schedule" of international cricket when a) he was due to be rested for the Windies ODI series and b) He only plays for England! He's basically the England "pro", he hardly ever turns out for Surrey (think May was the last time he played a 4 day for them.) I hope the ECB don't back down when he comes begging to be let into the World Cup squad for 20/20 even though I can imagine Sky's pundits clamouring for the rules to be relaxed for him.
(2) thanks from:
13-06-2012, 22:16   #5
TheDrog

think you might be underestimating how much time players are away. Swann's comments on the issue give an indication just how much time players are travelling so can't say I blame players

"I've got a kid being born at the end of the summer and I'm going to see her for a week in the first six months of her life."
Advertisement
17-06-2012, 18:30   #6
Beasty

Yep all that travelling must take it's toll. At least he's had a relaxing weekend watching England lose to South Africa in Johannesburg - probably flying back at this very minute...
18-06-2012, 18:37   #7
Cardinal Richelieu
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrog View Post
think you might be underestimating how much time players are away. Swann's comments on the issue give an indication just how much time players are travelling so can't say I blame players

"I've got a kid being born at the end of the summer and I'm going to see her for a week in the first six months of her life."
I think even do there is more cricket played, the modern cricketer with the wonders of technology has an easier time to keep in touch with their families than cricketers of the past. Australia in 1961 began its English tour with a game against Worcestershire on Sat 29th April and finished the tour with a game against Ireland in Dublin on the 9th September in a two day match. They were the last Australian team to tour England by boat which was a 4 week journey each way.
20-06-2012, 10:08   #8
GavMan

His schedule doesn't seem to be a problem when he's pitching up for big fat pay days in the IPL
Thanks from:
20-06-2012, 13:51   #9
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavMan View Post
His schedule doesn't seem to be a problem when he's pitching up for big fat pay days in the IPL
I'd make myself available for that sort of money ...

Seriously though, professional sportspeople have a limited time in their prime to make whatever they can to try and set themselves up for the rest of their lives. Relatively few end up with full time roles within the sport that may have made them famous, and cricket remains low down the list of sports salaries.

If the IPL aae prepared to pay ridiculous amounts to attract the likes of Pietersen, good luck to him
Advertisement
02-07-2012, 14:22   #10
GavMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
I'd make myself available for that sort of money ...

Seriously though, professional sportspeople have a limited time in their prime to make whatever they can to try and set themselves up for the rest of their lives. Relatively few end up with full time roles within the sport that may have made them famous, and cricket remains low down the list of sports salaries.

If the IPL aae prepared to pay ridiculous amounts to attract the likes of Pietersen, good luck to him
I agree but my point is, he shouldn't winge about the international schedule (lets remember, the ECB are his primary employers) when he wants to spend is downtime making big wedges of cash in India.

One cannot have ones cake and eat it too...
Thanks from:
11-08-2012, 20:16   #11
Rascasse

KP Has just tweeted this video.

He's available for all forms for England and is no longer wanting play IPL over playing for England.

Its a strange video. Its like a "I'm sorry, I take it back, let me play" video but I wonder if the ECB knew about it. If they didn't I can't imagine they will be happy him doing this off his own bat.

What does everyone else think of it?

11-08-2012, 21:01   #12
Dozen Wicked Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascasse View Post
KP Has just tweeted this video.

He's available for all forms for England and is no longer wanting play IPL over playing for England.

Its a strange video. Its like a "I'm sorry, I take it back, let me play" video but I wonder if the ECB knew about it. If they didn't I can't imagine they will be happy him doing this off his own bat.

What does everyone else think of it?

All or nothing. If he decides what games he does or doesn't want to play then good luck to him in his international retirement. If he will play every game then welcome back. He has whined at every club he's been at so wouldn't necessarily be that sorry to see him go anyway.
12-08-2012, 07:23   #13
Le_Dieux
Closed Account

I'd agree here with DooferOaks.

To me, KP want's the best of both worlds here. And if I were a English selector? I'd dump him ( KP) for the 3rd Test @ Lord's - let Him know just WHO is bigger here!
12-08-2012, 14:06   #14
Rascasse

Well rumours are rife on twitter etc (so usual caveats) that this video may be a last minute chance to stop his impending sacking.

After his press conference at Headingley I half expected him to be dropped for Lords and him to disappear into retirement/IPL/Big Bash. Well, allegedly, after the press conference he was texting Steyn and AB slagging off Strauss and Flower and these texts made it back into the England dressing room and that + the whole PR shambles have left the ECB to decide to drop him.

Now KP has realised that retirement isnt the best idea at 32 and wants to keep playing for England (and the associated endorsements) and has released the video to stop his sacking.

What a mess.
12-08-2012, 14:18   #15
Le_Dieux
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascasse View Post
Well rumours are rife on twitter etc (so usual caveats) that this video may be a last minute chance to stop his impending sacking.

After his press conference at Headingley I half expected him to be dropped for Lords and him to disappear into retirement/IPL/Big Bash. Well, allegedly, after the press conference he was texting Steyn and AB slagging off Strauss and Flower and these texts made it back into the England dressing room and that + the whole PR shambles have left the ECB to decide to drop him.

Now KP has realised that retirement isnt the best idea at 32 and wants to keep playing for England (and the associated endorsements) and has released the video to stop his sacking.

What a mess.
Slagging off Your captain AND Coach at the same time??? WTF does he think he is?
What a doos (Afk for ***t) KP is! For me, he ought to be dumped.....FOREVER.

Last edited by Le_Dieux; 12-08-2012 at 14:21.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion