Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you want ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

golfball37 wrote: »

Yes I read the articles much like yourself, but he didn't say it on video so a "direct quote" means less than sweat fcuk all ;)

Again, why believe this version of what has been printed is any more true than what was printed earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Must be only about 3 weeks away from pre season training now, would be nice to get all this wrapped up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I'd be very happy with AVB.... though there is the potential for another Juande Ramos situation.

The players need to get on board with AVB's ideas early, if they do, it could be a great season for us. He plays attacking football, presses high up the pitch and has emphasis on the wingers - ideal for the likes of Bale and Lennon.

If he does sign, do you think there might be an outrageous offer for Falcao? I know Levy doesn't do outrageous when it comes to transfers, but Falcao was the pinnacle of AVB's Porto team, and we don't have someone like him in our squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

Falcao is completely out of our reach sadly. He's at a bigger club currently who are in the CL next season. He'll only leave Athletico for one of the big 2 in Spain you'd imagine. They hve said he's not for sale this summer in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Can you start this weekend? Spurs have offered job to Villas-Boas and want him to take over on July 1

Chairman Levy reckons Portuguese can take the club to the "next level."

Andre Villas-Boas: excited to take over at Spurs
    Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has offered the Spurs job to Andre Villas-Boas - and wants him to start on July 1.

Former Chelsea boss Villas-Boas has impressed the Spurs hierarchy with his plans for the club even though he was axed at Stamford Bridge after less than eight months in charge.

Villas-Boas will be expected to work with Tim Sherwood at Spurs as his star is in the ascendancy and Levy wants him to be a key part of the set-up.

France boss Laurent Blanc was also in the running but Villas-Boas impressed the most during Levy's search for a successor to Harry Redknapp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Looks like we're getting AVB! Thoughts on this? I think it's a massive risk but I just hope we give him a chance unlike Chelsea

golfball37 wrote: »
    Falcao is completely out of our reach sadly. He's at a bigger club currently who are in the CL next season. He'll only leave Athletico for one of the big 2 in Spain you'd imagine. They hve said he's not for sale this summer in any case.

Athletico Madrid aren't in the CL! They finished 5th! Anyway it doesn't change much because we have no chance of signing Falcao!

I think AVB will be good for the club. As I said before, if the players adopted his ideas early, he could be great. He likes playing attacking football, his teams press high up the pitch and he focuses play down the wings (ideal for Bale and Lennon). Who does not want to see that at WHL?!

Anybody who doubts him because of what happened at Chelsea has a very short memory - we all would have chewed off our right arm to have him after Porto won the UEFA Cup.

I'll concede that what happened at Chelsea can not be completely ignored, BUT, thankfully, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club is not Chelsea Football Club. Daniel Levy is not Roman Abramovich.

I hope we have AVB in the bag, he could be fantastic for our club.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I think AVB will be good for the club. As I said before, if the players adopted his ideas early, he could be great. He likes playing attacking football, his teams press high up the pitch and he focuses play down the wings (ideal for Bale and Lennon). Who does not want to see that at WHL?!

Anybody who doubts him because of what happened at Chelsea has a very short memory - we all would have chewed off our right arm to have him after Porto won the UEFA Cup.

I'll concede that what happened at Chelsea can not be completely ignored, BUT, thankfully, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club is not Chelsea Football Club. Daniel Levy is not Roman Abramovich.

I hope we have AVB in the bag, he could be fantastic for our club.

Fully agree squire.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Fully agree squire.

Oh, not to mention, it will be a nice change to have a team that seems to be playing with some form of preparation/tactics..... our players might even get to practice set pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Fully agree squire.

Oh, not to mention, it will be a nice change to have a team that seems to be playing with some form of preparation/tactics..... our players might even get to practice set pieces.

Very valid. Had Harry etc looked into statistics on where to stand at corners third place may well have been ours.

Is sherwood as good as he's cracked up to be? Is he a disciple of the cruyff school where all the teams play the same way down to the kids? As mentioned earlier, and throughout Simon kupers book Soccernomics, the permanent back room team, director of football etc, are more important to stability and more focused on it, than a guy whose immediate results are the be all and end all...

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

It looks like a manager is already working at the club. Bale tied up on a new contract, Kranjcar and Corluka sold, the suspicion is that AVB is already in the job, just on gardening until July 1.
    As I said before (although maybe not on this thread) the hope has to be that Porto was his true self, and that the Chelsea debalce was his "damned united" phase. If so, and we have the new Clough, hold onto your seats, it could get tasty- but whatever you do, no pitch invasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

What exactly has Sherwood's role at the club been up until now? If it is to be a Sherwood/AVB combo then I get the impression that Sherwood's role would be a Head Youth Scout type role, with responsibilities over youth team stuctures, NextGen and that side of things.

As I said before (although maybe not on this thread) the hope has to be that Porto was his true self, and that the Chelsea debalce was his "damned united" phase. If so, and we have the new Clough, hold onto your seats, it could get tasty- but whatever you do, no pitch invasion!

I completely agree with this. I'm staying on the optimistic side of things and thinking that Chelsea did not work out for him due to external factors, as opposed to issues with AVB himself.

AVB has been discussed in many places as a meticulous student of football who takes preparation very seriously - two similar personalities include Guardiola and Mourinho.

At Chelsea AVB was faced with ageing egos, and he was asked to replace them by the chairman. At Spurs we have a younger squad and far fewer egos.

I'm confident the marriage will work.

Good luck to him!

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Villa Boas it is! Hopefully he has learned from his experience at Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

Good Luck to AVB if he gets the job.
    Agree with Dubperryman on the younger squad.
    Hopefully he can bring fresh ideas to the club.
    Still will miss Harry though :(
    Hope he doesn't turn into "a media tart!"
    God, I hope his after match interviews improve!
    Julio Geordieo Stylie :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSXzRWlL7Z0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

If he’s appointed he can leave that seedy raincoat in the cineplex. Scruffy itchy looking stubble can go to, he looks more Irish than Portuguese. And no hunkering down on the touchline either pal.

According to SSN Kevin Bond and Joe Jordan have left the building. No surprise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    If he’s appointed he can leave that seedy raincoat in the cineplex. Scruffy itchy looking stubble can go to, he looks more Irish than Portuguese. And no hunkering down on the touchline either pal.

Haha have to agree on the raincoat - it's terrible. I don't mind the other bits though - he's only a young lad and he needs the stubble to fit in a bit more with the older fella's he's up against!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

SuprSi wrote: »
    Haha have to agree on the raincoat - it's terrible. I don't mind the other bits though - he's only a young lad and he needs the stubble to fit in a bit more with the older fella's he's up against!
    I'm just jealous as he's younger and has more money than me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I'm just jealous as he's younger and has more money than me.

Isn't that true of every player/manager/coach/physio/groundsman etc...in the league? :P

Did AVB play 3 -4-3 with chelsea? I know that was his usual formation with Porto.

i'm pretty sure this is the article i read when AVB was linked with Liverpool and I thought to myself as I was reading it that his tactics would do well at Spurs! Let me know what you's think!

http://statactics.com/2012/05/17/why-andre-villas-boas-makes-sense-for-liverpool/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

nbar12 wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure this is the article i read when AVB was linked with Liverpool and I thought to myself as I was reading it that his tactics would do well at Spurs! Let me know what you's think!

http://statactics.com/2012/05/17/why-andre-villas-boas-makes-sense-for-liverpool/

I must say that after reading that i kind of got swept away with the excitment. We have alot players that would fit the mould. Not sure we have the CB's for it and we would defo need at least 1 new Striker.

yeah here's another article, its shorter than the other one I posted. I think it's better... http://thepathismadebywalking.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/what-would-an-andre-villas-boas-tottenham-hotspur-look-like/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I think he only wore the overcoat because they had a contract with someone to say there manager would wear the coat and brand to promote it, started with Ancelotti i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Am i glad we got rid of harry:D , he was an embarrassment on sky today.

Roll on AVB era....Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

I really don't understand how there is such contempt for Harry Redknapp on this forum?
    Let old dogs lie at this stage.
    The man did the best he could and a lot more than us side line commentators.
    Who'd be a Tottenham Manager?
    Requirement number 1, the ability to keep every body happy!

COYS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Yeah, don't understand the contempt either. Some short memories it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't mind if people didn't like Harry, but the insulting and petty nature of certain posts (not in this thread, but recently) are pretty sad tbh. He did a fantastic job for us, and he deserves out thanks.

Anyway, back on topic...i hope we get some deals sorted soon. Hate all this waiting around, not knowing.

Advertisement