Do you want to marry? - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-06-2012, 23:28   #46
xsiborg
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango salsa View Post
It's a civil partnership

The UK Civil Partnership is somewhat superior to the Irish version because it is more equal to marriage or marriage like than the Irish version (Marriage Equality have showed there are 169 differences between marriage and civil partnership in Ireland http://www.marriagequality.ie/downlo...ing_pieces.pdf) - Most importantly the rights of children are excluded

Currently same sex couples can get a civil partnership in the UK but they cannot marry - There are moves to introduce same sex marriage

Their Civil Partnership would be recognised in Ireland as an Irish civil partnership
nice one mango, that's a big PDF btw, im just gonna print it out in the morning and have a read over it then instead, too late now for what looks like a heavy read!
Advertisement
17-06-2012, 00:01   #47
Caiseoipe19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanePouch View Post
I don't expect them not to lobby, just as I think its fine for me to point out the inconsistencies in their arguments, and the irony of a group of hysterical virgins who have a history of raping and torturing children in their care, or have a history of standing by and doing nothing while their colleagues raped and tortured children in their care, thinking they have some insignt into marriage that the rest of us don't have, is too serious, and too ironic, to leave unsaid.
Quote:
The main church opposing this is a church which is run by a group of (mainly) men whose chief claim to fame is they either stood by and did nothing while their colleagues systematically raped and tortured generations of Irish people, men, women and children, or else they took part thmselves in raping, torturing and abusing generations of Irish men, women and children.

They seem to think that they are the sorts of people who the Irish people need to give them moral guidance regarding marriage. The irony of this group of hysterical sex obsessed virgins giving anyone guidance on anything is ridiculous, but to give it to others on the subject of marriage is hubris of a high order, and must be exposed for what it is.
A great minority of the clergy were involved in the abuse of children. There have been many decent men in the priesthood so how about not making sweeping insults? The same way many gay men don't like the being painted as being promisuous or some flamboyant drama-queen just because they're gay. What evidence have you that all priests knew that their fellow priests were abusing children? Fine disagree with the Church's stance etc. but it's possible to argue a point without making sweeping insulting statements.
17-06-2012, 04:00   #48
Nebit

Short answer.... Yes I want to marry the man I love and have it called what it should equally be. Civil partnerships are a joke IMO and a halfway point that won't be looked into for another 10 years.
17-06-2012, 12:55   #49
derekeire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebit View Post
Short answer.... Yes I want to marry the man I love and have it called what it should equally be. Civil partnerships are a joke IMO and a halfway point that won't be looked into for another 10 years.
Or maybe Civil Partnerships are a big step in the right direction and with more lobbying etc there will be further progress in creating an equal society.
17-06-2012, 13:16   #50
Nebit

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekeire View Post
Quote:
Or maybe Civil Partnerships are a big step in the right direction and with more lobbying etc there will be further progress in creating an equal society.
I don't believe that is the case. The civil partnership laws are based on the marriage laws mostly except every reference to a child removed. It was a way to attempt to appease both church and LGBTs.
Advertisement
17-06-2012, 14:06   #51
Joeytheparrot

Quote:
The constitutional convention is looking at marriage equality this year
Thanks from:
21-06-2012, 14:55   #52
DubArk

Just saw this thread.

Yes I would love to be able to marry because I would like to publicly celebrate our union in the manner that the majority of the citizens in the Republic can.

Legally I want our rights protected, including our assets, pensions and living wills etc…...

Simples.
28-06-2012, 22:07   #53
Finally a woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekeire View Post
What is the actual difference between getting married and having a civil union? Is it the religious aspect?
Well if its a Church wedding with a blessing it is a religious aspect, but they still have to sign state documents to make it all legal.
I had a civil union 2years ago but still consider myself a married woman, it wasn't a gay marriage, I married my Fiancé (boyfriend) who is definitely straight, Im a post op transwoman also straight. My husband fully excepts me as a woman, getting married was the best thing I did, Id recommend it, my only regret I didn't store sperm, so sadly no children, my life now is even better as a woman, marrying the man I love.
Thanks from:
02-07-2012, 14:03   #54
waterglass305

When I was younger, before I realized I like guys, I dreamed of finding that perfect gal to settle down with.

I had it all planned out, we'd meet, date, fall in love and get married
One of the biggest problems with coming out was giving up on that idea of having a family and being married.
I wanted to have wife, children etc so badly that that was my barrier to overcome.

I may have accepted that I like guys but the plan is the same, I want to get hitched obviously not anytime soon, I'm only 23 I want some fun first
To me marriage is a commitment and a sacrament, it would be wrong for me not to get married. And yes it would have to be monogamous but that wouldn't mean no sex, far from it....

Of course if you don't want to get married/don't believe in it then don't get married. I don't judge we should be free to choose what we want to do.
And I choose not some BS civil crap drivel that society thinks I'll accept, I want a full proper marriage that lasts a lifetime.
Advertisement
03-07-2012, 13:25   #55
ShanePouch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterglass305 View Post

And I choose not some BS civil crap drivel that society thinks I'll accept, I want a full proper marriage that lasts a lifetime.
Does that mean you want some sort of religious ceremony also?

For me, I had never considered that a civil marriage was not a full or proper marriage.
04-07-2012, 14:10   #56
waterglass305

Quote:
Does that mean you want some sort of religious ceremony also?

For me, I had never considered that a civil marriage was not a full or proper marriage.
Hang on I was taking about civil partnership, two men (or women) cannot have a civil marriage.

Honestly I don't know about having a religious ceremony, if I meet a guy who wanted one I'd go for it as long as I didn't have to convert.

You see in Ireland we can only get a civil partnership, which doesn't have the same rights as a civil marriage, if we wanted children we can't jointly adapt, if I died, my husband would not automatically be the the guardian, we'd be at the mercy of the Courts or my family.

How the hell is that fair? In terms of tax laws, inheritance, children etc their not the same.
Civil partnership is a proto-marriage, a degraded form of what I want.
(3) thanks from:
05-07-2012, 21:51   #57
Chorcai

American take on things
In a humorous talk with an urgent message, LZ Granderson points out the absurdity in the idea that there's a "gay lifestyle," much less a "gay agenda." (Filmed at TEDxGrandRapids.)
http://www.ted.com/talks/lz_granders...ay_agenda.html
06-07-2012, 15:13   #58
McChubbin

I'm bisexual and yes, I would like the option of marrying a woman if, in time, I found love with someone of my own gender. I honestly believe that I'd have a better shot at love with a woman but then again, I want babies and the white picket fence dream. So, marriage to a woman with the option of sperm donation or adoption please.
(2) thanks from:
06-07-2012, 15:35   #59
waterglass305

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariJaguar View Post
Yes, but feminism has violated the sanctity of marriage
How?
06-07-2012, 16:11   #60
waterglass305

I don't know who that is or what you are getting at.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Share Tweet