Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agressive Calling for Bill Payment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi deisemum,

I'm very sorry to hear of your experience on the phone. If you would please send your account details to us via private message I will have this looked into immediately.

In general, the due date for direct debit payments is 14 days after the invoice's date of issue. However, the payment is presented for collection (i.e. the process is set in motion) on the 11th day (provided weekends/bank holidays don't intervene, in which it would have to be presented earlier), so if any payments made manually, in the post office for example, have not registered on system by the 11th day, the original amount as stated on the bill will go for collection.

If you make a payment yourself, it can take 3 to 4 working days for it to register on our system. May 30th was a Wednesday, so the payment may only have reached us by Friday, or the following Monday (which if I recall correctly was a bank holiday). June 5th was the Tuesday, so there wouldn't have been sufficient time for the payment to have registered. The direct debit payment would have been presented for collection in this case probably on the Friday (though I would need to check this to be sure).

If you make any manual payments in future, I would recommend you notify us by phone, so that we may be able to defer the direct debit payment date. That way, there would be enough time for the system to have accepted your payment and for the balance to have been adjusted.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

I paid the bill on day 8 Wednesday 30th May and the 2 members of staff both confirmed that Electric Ireland got the money from the Post Office on Thursday 31st.

I'll forward my details to you and appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 intelcore

Ive being reading this page and have had the same truble with these calls 3 in 8 days which if im not mistaking is in breach of something called the debt collection act I wonder exactly how long electric ireland will get away with these bullying tactics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

intelcore wrote: »
    Ive being reading this page and have had the same truble with these calls 3 in 8 days which if im not mistaking is in breach of something called the debt collection act I wonder exactly how long electric ireland will get away with these bullying tactics
    Why don't you call them and explain you're having difficulty paying your bills and see if they'll set up a payment arrangement for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They may not under current legislation "Call you repeatedly at work or during unsociable hours"

Not the sane as calling you at home 3 times in 8 days if you owe money and made no arrangements to pay during that 8 days!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its funny how people receive a service, under agreement to be paid after on set dates, and proceed to get their knickers in a twist because they fail to meet their obligations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

its funny how people receive a service, under agreement to be paid after on set dates, and proceed to get their knickers in a twist because they fail to meet their obligations.

O its funny alright, maybe that`s why many people are not paying on time, simply for amusement, or to have a laugh.

Yes, there are people genuinely having difficulty paying (as opposed to those who have a sense of entitlement and pay whenever it suits them because they're special and different to everyone else) but if amounts are overdue, they're overdue, hence the reminders. The company isn't psychic (so therefore unaware of personal circumstances) or singling people out to be mean to - phoning the company could help address this. Paying bits when you can but still leaving arrears... well it's good to make such attempts but the system is still going to flag that there is an amount overdue.
    dev100 wrote: »
    Ever asked an esb employee how much he or she gets paid???
    Oh yeah they're all... ALL... on €70k+. All of them - even the cleaning lady! :p

Just because very senior managers and technical folk can be paid high salaries doesn't mean everyone is, e.g. people in admin, on the phones etc.
    electricity is a human basic necessity like water.
    It isn't. You can actually live without electricity (I know it's not easy but it isn't needed for survival) unlike water and food... yet people don't complain about paying in full for food immediately.

Of course people can have problems paying bills but that is no excise for getting uppity when a company tries to collect. An arrangement can always be made but until that is put in place, or requested, nobody can blame them for calling for payment as often as needed.

Ive being reading this page and have had the same truble with these calls 3 in 8 days

Hi intelcore,

If you are having trouble paying your bill, it's best to contact us directly on 1850 372 372 so that we can arrange a suitable payment schedule. If adhered to, there would be no need for any reminder calls.

We also have a Reduce Your Costs section on our website, designed to help you lower your bill.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement

all my bills get paid ..its the manner in which these so called reminder calls are made ie calling from blocked numbers no matter what u say they insist on payment there and then over the phone ..and all for a single bill of 60euro electric ireland should adapt like the rest of the counrty has to ...

electric ireland should adapt like the rest of the counrty has to ...

Not many products can be bought by a domestic customer with 2 months credit.

In case you haven't noticed, the rest of the country is tightening up on credit and actively seeking prompt payment.

electric ireland should adapt like the rest of the counrty has to ...

Not many products can be bought by a domestic customer with 2 months credit.

In case you haven't noticed, the rest of the country is tightening up on credit and actively seeking prompt payment.

The point is many people including my self are being asked to wait until customers pay then we get payed therefore on a monthly budget it's roof over our heads then food on the table then electric in that order regardless of wheather electric Ireland think there hard done by ..this is a circle for everybody not just business and harrassing people and calling it reminders will not solve things

The point is many people including my self are being asked to wait until customers pay then we get payed therefore on a monthly budget it's roof over our heads then food on the table then electric in that order regardless of wheather electric Ireland think there hard done by ..this is a circle for everybody not just business and harrassing people and calling it reminders will not solve things

Not everyone though. Some poster(s) admitted they pay on time every time, but then compare electricity to food for the others that are not so fortunate to be able to do so.

Not unusual on boards though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

robd wrote: »
    I was called regarding 2 bills when I couldn't possible have received the 2nd bill. If you issue bill on 08/05 (I double checked date) how could I possible have received it on the morning of 09/05 when you called demanding payment of 2 unpaid bills? You then called 4 times on 10/05. How could the money (paid through online banking on evening of 09/05, the very same day I received bill) have reached your system by them. I can understand the calls from day 14 of bill 2 but not on day 2 and 3 of bill 2. It's ridiculous harassment. Again this is nothing to do with due date.

I was also called regard 1st bill some weeks ago.

Also, stop calling them gentle reminders. Gentle they are not.

This is a new bully boy tactic on the part of Electric Ireland.

While I disagree with the liberties that the OP is taking, How can you possibly condone ringing someone FOUR times in one day (unless the calls were going unanswered)

robbie7730 wrote: »

Not everyone though. Some poster(s) admitted they pay on time every time, but then compare electricity to food for the others that are not so fortunate to be able to do so.

Not unusual on boards though.
    Well that comparison stemmed from a poster saying electricity is a basic human need.
    To avoid the calls, ring them and tell them when you can pay, because until then, they won't know.

While I disagree with the liberties that the OP is taking, How can you possibly condone ringing someone FOUR times in one day (unless the calls were going unanswered)

Hi supercouse,

On this occasion, it has not been specified whether these were answered/missed calls, but we are more than happy to investigate any case in which a customer feels unduly hassled, or contacted excessively.
    intelcore wrote:
    The point is many people including my self are being asked to wait until customers pay then we get payed therefore on a monthly budget it's roof over our heads then food on the table then electric in that order

We do have a monthly direct debit option (called the Equalizer) whereby a set amount is debited each month on a day of your choosing. If this sounds like something that might help, please feel free to PM me your account details and I can see about setting it up.

Thanks,

David.

Onixx wrote: »
    Well that comparison stemmed from a poster saying electricity is a basic human need.
    It seemed more like it was comparing delaying payment for an electricity bill, with walking out of a shop with food without paying. Doing that is stealing. So the poster was hinting it is the same as a person who used electricity, then struggles to pay. These comparisons are typical of boards like I said earlier.

The OP`s scenario is not the general idea I am posting about, which sounds like delaying payments they actually can make. There are a Lot out there with arrears and/or are struggling to pay. And they would find it a struggle to manage without electricity, even if you and thankful posters say a cave man can survive without it.
    To avoid the calls, ring them and tell them when you can pay, because until then, they won't know.

Apparently they call with hidden numbers, and probably ask for verifying personal details? How do they verify they are who they say they are when dialing with a hidden number?
    If you can't afford your bill cut down on your electricity usage, it's fairly simple.

This thread has the verified representitives in it, and some unverified ones by the look of some of the posts:pac:

Perhaps - or perhaps they just work in customer service in any company and are able to see the company's perspective too. Why wait until the bill? It's a bit needy tbh. Why not just pop in whatever bits and pieces you can during the 10-week (or more) duration between when a billing period starts and when the bill has to be paid? I agree it is a bit much to wait until the bill, hence I can partially understand the supermarket analogy. If there is still an amount outstanding by the due date though, then contact the company to avoid the calls that are the result of not meeting the agreed payment terms.

That last comment wasn't made by me - I wouldn't agree it's always easy to cut down on usage (although I'd urge trying as hard as possible - to anyone, not just those in financial difficulty).
    Re calling back: I meant call Electric Ireland customer service.

Perhaps - or perhaps they just work in customer service in any company and are able to see the company's perspective too.
    That`s just it, when someone says its simple to solve your difficulties, cut down on usage, they see only a company perspective, not people in difficulty`s perspective.
    That last comment wasn't made by me - I wouldn't agree it's always easy to cut down on usage (although I'd urge trying as hard as possible - to anyone, not just those in financial difficulty).
    Re calling back: I meant call Electric Ireland customer service.

I knew what you meant about calling them, for people in difficulty. I would recommend that myself. But when a hidden number from a company calls someone in a payment reminder call and asks for personal details to verify, how do they verify who they are to the person they are calling?

It would not seem beyond possibility for a bogus caller to get personal details that way. I`m surprised anyone answers hidden number calls, if indeed they are hidden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...Why wait until the bill? It's a bit needy tbh. ....

But why not wait for the bill. Trickling in payments sounds lovely but just adds a lot of extra transactions that you don't need to. PITA when doing a monthly spreadsheet. There's nothing wrong with waiting for the bill. In my experience DD cause more headaches than they solve, because when they (not just ESB all companies) make a mistake, getting it corrected is more effort than putting a man on the moon.

I pay mine manually, with the result that once or twice, I've missed it and got one of these "reminder" phone call for payment. Except it wasn't a reminder, it was a aggressive demand for payment and tbh I was quite taken back by the attitude of rep on the end. They were very aggressive and I'm using to dealing with difficult people on the phone. I said simply forgotten about it, and would pay it later online, they insisted I pay it there and then by CC. Which I refused and ended the phone call. Considering I've been a customer for over a decade, I don't see why such aggressive calling is warranted. I think they rang 2 or three times the same day. I considered reporting the phone call, but was too busy to chase it up. Other people I know have had similar experiences.

Re not waiting for the bill: It's a form of pre-paying though - makes sense if things are financially difficult. In my opinion anyway.

Its probably more dependant on your pay interval. If you get paid monthly, or weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

BostonB wrote: »
    I pay mine manually, with the result that once or twice, I've missed it and got one of these "reminder" phone call for payment. Except it wasn't a reminder, it was a aggressive demand for payment and tbh I was quite taken back by the attitude of rep on the end. They were very aggressive and I'm using to dealing with difficult people on the phone. I said simply forgotten about it, and would pay it later online, they insisted I pay it there and then by CC. Which I refused and ended the phone call. Considering I've been a customer for over a decade, I don't see why such aggressive calling is warranted. I think they rang 2 or three times the same day. I considered reporting the phone call, but was too busy to chase it up. Other people I know have had similar experiences.
    Hi BostonB,

If you would like us to investigate this further for you, do drop me a private message with your details - Electric Ireland account number, your name and the address/date of birth/telephone number on the account.

Thanks and regards,
    Una

I'm content to make you aware of it.

BostonB wrote: »
    I'm content to make you aware of it.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 braenard

I have also been at the receiving end of there very aggressive calls from Electric Ireland. I have answered the calls and explained my situation to the rep at the other end of the phone and it has obviously been received by either deaf or ignorant ears... Up until recently the bills have been paid in full and on time via CC on the website...

What I am not happy with is that even tho I have told them it will be paid when I can actually afford to or I will pay it off weekly as I'm in the post office every week like a huge amount of the population are I have been told that I have to pay it there and then over the phone.. Which I cant do for obvious reasons.. And they then proceed to hound me on the phone... I had 6 missed calls and 4 Voicemails in one day after I had spoken to them that morning which is totally unacceptable...

I have warned them that if it continues I will be changing service and contacting the relevant people and reporting them for harassment...

You can preach on about pre-paying as much as you want but until I see a bill of how much I owe, I will not be able to budget my money...

And before the representative asks I'm not comfortable giving out my account details via a PM service on a 3rd party website...

Also this is a common complaint from a lot of people and that the right people within the company have not done their jobs properly in regards to investigating this problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Braenard,

I am sorry to read you are unhappy with your experience. If you would prefer not to send us your account details by private message, I would recommend contacting our Customer Service department (which is a different department to the one that has been calling you) on 1850 372 372, open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday. There is also the option to send the team an email.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 12 braenard

Thanks for the reply Una.

Yeah I'll get onto to that number and see if it can be sorted over the phone with them.. It's a problem that everyone has noticed and is obviously not happy with..

Again thanks a million..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I was getting something similar from some sort of catalogue company. The calls were for someone who lived here over a year ago. I just blocked unknown numbers and told them not to call again if they still got through.

Littlewoods wanted me to write to them!

Advertisement