Wheels wanted. - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-06-2012, 20:41   #1
TheBlaaMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waterford
Posts: 1,846
Wheels wanted.

Having just missed out on a pair of lightly used Ksyrium Elites for €300, I'm having to start afresh in my search for a new set of wheels (clinchers). Ideally new, but excellent quality second hand would be OK too. Will be used for club spins, sportives, etc only, no racing. Budget, ideally no more than €400 (closer to €300 would be ideal!). I know that at €500+ a a lot more choice opens up for me............but funds are tight!!!

So, I'm considering the following:

Pro-Lite Bracciano - €360 @ CRC
Shimano RS80 C24 - €380 @ Planet-X plus postage
Fulcrum 3's - €330@ Bike-Palast plus postage
Mavic Ksyrium Elites (various places @ c€400 plus postage so really these are above budget)

The bling tart in me wants deep set carbon wheels....so, these are in the mix:
Chinese carbon jobbies - such as these maybe (though above budget) or similar from
Hong-fu 38mm carbon - c€370 from China

I've been directed towards Shimano CL 7850s, but these seem to be discontinued and unavailable. In any case, they are well above budget ............ but used, perhaps worth trying to track down?

Any other suggestions I should/can consider?

Last edited by TheBlaaMan; 15-06-2012 at 22:27.
TheBlaaMan is offline  
Advertisement
15-06-2012, 20:56   #2
Pablo Rubio
Registered User
 
Pablo Rubio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Co. Dublin
Posts: 257
Ksyrium Equipe for €350 & free postage in Cycle superstore (They are priced at €385 in crc).about 140 grams heavier than elites but are well up to the job for training & sportives.Hubs are cartridge bearings and really smooth. I love the Braccianos my self but the mavic Ksyriums are handier for parts and service in your LBS.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/p...dproduct=53144



Fulcrum 3 are an excellent wheel I'd rate above Ksyrium Elites. Spokes and parts may be hard to get here in ireland.

Last edited by Pablo Rubio; 15-06-2012 at 21:03.
Pablo Rubio is offline  
15-06-2012, 21:14   #3
ashleey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kilkenny
Posts: 1,956
Ribble are doing a deal on the Fulcrum range if it helps,

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/roa...D-TRI/FULCWHFR
ashleey is offline  
Thanks from:
15-06-2012, 21:15   #4
clog
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 523
In exactly the same position a couple of months ago (already had ksyrium on another bike) I ended up getting a pair of vision Trimax pro from planet x in athlone for e300 they are actually lighter than ksyrium elites 1525g v 1555g (both without skewers & Q/R).
I am very happy with them lovely hubs and have stayed true so far and I usually cycle around secondary roads in wicklow .
Saying that I was at the time looking at the pro-lites but at the time they were out of stock everywhere.
clog is offline  
15-06-2012, 21:32   #5
macnab
Registered User
 
macnab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Meath
Posts: 1,148
I bought the RS80 wheelset from Planet X, I have a few hundred km's up on them including one rough descent in Wicklow and no problems.
macnab is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-06-2012, 21:46   #6
wav1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,070
Ribble do their suerleggra 50mm deeep section for about 425 sterling.Excellent wheels in either clincher or tubs and shimano or campag.Red and black or black white.Good value for carbon 50mm.Aluminium braking surface
wav1 is offline  
15-06-2012, 22:05   #7
TheBlaaMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waterford
Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by wav1 View Post
Ribble do their suerleggra 50mm deeep section for about 425 sterling.Excellent wheels in either clincher or tubs and shimano or campag.Red and black or black white.Good value for carbon 50mm.Aluminium braking surface
Hmm. Nice idea, and lovely looking wheels (though they are £462 on the website). But they are budget busters for me @ over €550.
TheBlaaMan is offline  
15-06-2012, 22:07   #8
TheBlaaMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waterford
Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by clog View Post
In exactly the same position a couple of months ago (already had ksyrium on another bike) I ended up getting a pair of vision Trimax pro from planet x in athlone for e300 they are actually lighter than ksyrium elites 1525g v 1555g (both without skewers & Q/R).
I am very happy with them lovely hubs and have stayed true so far and I usually cycle around secondary roads in wicklow .
Saying that I was at the time looking at the pro-lites but at the time they were out of stock everywhere.
Sold out at P/X
TheBlaaMan is offline  
15-06-2012, 22:09   #9
Icyseanfitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: A tree
Posts: 3,805
in the same boat myself and i am really leaning towards those pro lites, the combined weight of 1487g is great
Icyseanfitz is offline  
Advertisement
15-06-2012, 22:10   #10
TheBlaaMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waterford
Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Rubio View Post
Ksyrium Equipe for €350 & free postage in Cycle superstore (They are priced at €385 in crc).about 140 grams heavier than elites but are well up to the job for training & sportives.Hubs are cartridge bearings and really smooth. I love the Braccianos my self but the mavic Ksyriums are handier for parts and service in your LBS.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/p...dproduct=53144



Fulcrum 3 are an excellent wheel I'd rate above Ksyrium Elites. Spokes and parts may be hard to get here in ireland.
Thanks for the pointer. I was looking for a lighter wheel - as little above 1500g as possible, but the Equipe's are worth considering, esp as a corporate discount at CSS reduces them to €306 for me
TheBlaaMan is offline  
15-06-2012, 22:10   #11
Pablo Rubio
Registered User
 
Pablo Rubio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Co. Dublin
Posts: 257
Fulcrum 3 on offer for good value here .
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=...gc=0;orderby=2
Pablo Rubio is offline  
15-06-2012, 22:17   #12
delynet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 190
Ksyrium Elites here for 493 delivered

http://www.marreybikes.com/en/mavic-...-wheelset.html
delynet is offline  
15-06-2012, 22:57   #13
Quigs Snr
Registered User
 
Quigs Snr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlaaMan View Post
Thanks for the pointer. I was looking for a lighter wheel - as little above 1500g as possible, but the Equipe's are worth considering, esp as a corporate discount at CSS reduces them to €306 for me
The Equipes are not worth the money. Overweight. Barely a step up on the Askiums.

The Pro-Lites, I have a set here on the missus bike. They are a bit soft. Had them on one of our A1 riders bikes in a few races. Problems with rear hub (replaced under warranty) and a lot more flex than the campags and mavics...

The RS80's are a super wheel. Recommended.

Also consider the Campagnolo Zonda, better than the Fulcrum 3 and at 329 not including shipping on bike24. One of our riders got them, they are supposed to be 1550 but came in at 1515. Shown to be stiffer than even the shamals on the Tour Magazine test. Reckon I might pick up a pair myself for crits and league races.

Check how the Zonda's and Elites and Fulcrum 3's compare here:

http://www.tour-magazin.de/services/...ge104.html#/90
Quigs Snr is offline  
Thanks from:
16-06-2012, 00:35   #14
Holyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Bee cave
Posts: 867
The RS80s would be my pick out of any of the ones mentioned but then again you could just get some hand built ones made instead, much better!
Holyboy is offline  
Thanks from:
18-06-2012, 18:44   #15
Icyseanfitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: A tree
Posts: 3,805
anyone have any opinions on planet x carbon wheels? any good?
Icyseanfitz is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet