Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Sport or ProCycling for TDF Supplement?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Cheapskate question.
    Don't really want to buy both magazines.
    Is there anyone out there who has and can offer an opinion on which supplement is best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Procycling tour de france box , buy it every year (have a row of them)

TDF-Box-Cover-2012-216x300.jpg

but thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm a fan of the ProCycling version as well.
    Although I've never gotten the Cycle Sport one so can't comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Procycling tour de france box , buy it every year (have a row of them)

TDF-Box-Cover-2012-216x300.jpg

but thats just me

Is it on sale yet?

drogdub wrote: »
    Is it on sale yet?

came out on june 1st

came out on june 1st

Damn, none in Easons O'Connell Street or Reads in Nassua Street. Anyone see any around?

• Advertisement

Damn, none in Easons O'Connell Street or Reads in Nassua Street. Anyone see any around?

yeh my local newsagent couldnt get one i managed to my OH get thet last one in sligo easons

seem to be selling out fast this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i bought the cyclesport tour de france guide myself, bit pricey but exactly what i want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've had the CycleSport supplement in the past and found it okay. Having recently read through a regular edition of CycleSport though I got fed up of the childish/lad-ish nature of some of the writing (e.g. "Look, a pro rider fell off, let's laugh!", "Rider X hasn't won anything significant in a while. You, like, suck man!", etc.) and it put me completely off the magazine generally. Either the quality of the writing has gotten worse or I'm sliding more and more into cranky old man mode - I'd argue (crankily) for the former. I find ProCycling to be better written, with more interesting articles, and overall just a better quality magazine and I'd expect its supplement to be better too.

Blessed. I got one in Eason in Bus Aras. There are about four left. Its with the sports magazines in a corner accros from the tills. I won't leave it so late next year!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The only supplements worth taking for the TDF were all banned some time ago:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Easons in Galway seem to be sold out of the Procycling Official Tour de France guide.
    I ended up getting the Procycling magazine July issue which has a TdF guide. I got it a couple of years ago and it's good.
    It's half the price of the Procycling Official TdF guide (I'm very broke! :o)
    Alternatively, the July issue of Cycling Plus magazine has the Official TdF guide with it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Thanks all.
    Went for CycleSport with the supplement €12.50 in News Room down beside Superquinn Waterford. They had about three copies left today and one copy of the ProCycling Office Tour Guide Package for €14.50 just in case someone out there is still looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was flying over the weekend, picked up both in the airport. :p Both are pretty decent, CycleSport have a good coverage, but I suspect the difference is in the comprehensiveness. CS only has profiles for the hilly stages, and very brief team rundowns. But perfectly fine for anyone.

Official has a DVD of last year's highlights, a pretty large map of France (I didn't unfold it completely, but I'm pretty sure I could use it to navigate a major journey on the continent), and a wall chart for filling in daily winners. Haven't had a detailed look through the magazine, but I imagine it covers everything. I know it starts with a glossary of gruppetto, broomwagon, etc. So might be overkill for some fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I ended up getting the Procycling magazine July issue which has a TdF guide.

I bought that thinking it was the official guide. Still, it will do me fine. They said that Rui Costa was "underrated" and this was before the Tour of Switzerland so fair play to whoever made that call.

Advertisement