Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-06-2012, 23:46   #1
Maudi

shy

finally..ive heard them around me for years whilst out walking in our local hills and woodland..ive sat with binos and scanned the trees hoping to get a glimpse of these noisy elusive birds but nothing.until last night just caught the little blighter flying across a gap...i cant believe it...after all this time...im over the moon..i spotted my first jay!
Advertisement
13-06-2012, 07:44   #2
cuddlycavies

There are a few in the woods at the driveway glenview hotel
Thanks from:
13-06-2012, 12:12   #3
Desmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudi View Post
finally..ive heard them around me for years whilst out walking in our local hills and woodland..ive sat with binos and scanned the trees hoping to get a glimpse of these noisy elusive birds but nothing.until last night just caught the little blighter flying across a gap...i cant believe it...after all this time...im over the moon..i spotted my first jay!
They are amazingly hard to see in Ireland. In a lifetime, I have only seen them 4 times here (all in Phoenix Park in either the Furry Glen or by the US ambassador's residence). I lived in Germany for a while and you might see them 4 times in one week. They are very cool birds to see; well done!

Des
13-06-2012, 21:59   #4
Maudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudi View Post
They are amazingly hard to see in Ireland. In a lifetime, I have only seen them 4 times here (all in Phoenix Park in either the Furry Glen or by the US ambassador's residence). I lived in Germany for a while and you might see them 4 times in one week. They are very cool birds to see; well done!

Des
thanks i was well pleased! and you are right nortoriously hard to see...i heard them in one particular small wood last year every evening..and ended up sitting with tripod and binos dertermined to spot them...never did..i could pinpoint almost to a tree where they were but for the whole summer after work...nothing...till now...someone told me they hug the trunk of trees..thats why they is so hard to spot..now for my next obsessive compulseive project....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion