Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #75

Options
  • 11-06-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here the latest Album of the Week. Thanks to the eleven people who took the time to vote. Maybe it's just the time of year but hopefully we can get a few more voters this week.

Here's the breakdown of the votes. Only albums with more than one vote are listed.
    Band|Album|Votes
    Porcupine Tree|Deadwing|5
    Fear Factory|Obsolete|3

Here is Lazarus from the winning album, Deadwing by Porcupine Tree:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Goddamit the one week FF get more than my vote and they still lose!

Is this Steven wilsons band? been meaning to check them out for a while but I need some suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Goddamit the one week FF get more than my vote and they still lose!
    Fear Factory didn't even get your vote last week :).
    DrumSteve wrote:
    Is this Steven wilsons band? been meaning to check them out for a while but I need some suggestions!
    Yep, he's the guitarist and singer.

I have to say I know nothing about this band and that song Lazarus struck me as being resoundingly "meh" so I'd also echo DrumSteve's request for suggestions on what songs are worth listening to.

Malice wrote: »
    Fear Factory didn't even get your vote last week :).

Yep, he's the guitarist and singer.

I have to say I know nothing about this band and that song Lazarus struck me as being resoundingly "meh" so I'd also echo DrumSteve's request for suggestions on what songs are worth listening to.

I'd given up seeing my dream realised (though more realisitcally I forgot to check the thread!)

Is Mikael from Opeth in this with him?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Malice wrote: »
    My favourite from the album would be 'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here'

I'll do a proper response to the album later in the day :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

I would recommend their album In Absentia for first time Porcupine Tree listeners, then Deadwing.

This song is Blackest Eyes. One of the band's more digestable and accessible songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not my favourite PT album although it is a very good album, but I voted for it because it is the one that has the most meaning for me as it tied in with something in my personal life some years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I've seen Porcupine Tree thrown around here a few times but I've never got into them. This could be the time to start though, I'm liking the song Malice posted on top. Very relaxing and a change of pace to some of the other music I listen to.

I find I like lighter songs like that more in the summertime too, they just go better with lazy evenings.

I never realised Gavin Harrison played with these lads... Blackened eyes is a decent tune alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Porcupine Tree are one of my favourite bands, with Steven Wilson being a musical genius and massive inspiration to me.

I agree with Passenger that In Absentia is more accessible, but I don't think it's as strong as an album compared to Deadwing.

I think Deadwing flows together absolutely beautifully, and every song just fits so well. It's funny, Lazerus is probably one of my least favourite tracks off it... but I still love it once it gets into it a bit.

I'd be with ScienceNerd in picking Arriving Somewhere as the best tune on the album. So much feeling and atmosphere, and Mikael Akerfeldt does a signature mellow solo in the second half. But it's just a perfect song to me.

If I were to pick a second favourite song, I might just go with Open Car. The prechorus/chorus section is so powerful, and I link it with a specific time in my life, which could be part of why I love it.
    The live performance from the Arriving Somewhere DVD is great, a lot of passion from Steve in this song in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Porcupine Tree are also one of my favourite bands and I'm glad to see this win AotW. Deadwing was the first Porcupine Tree album I picked up a number of years ago, they have a plethora of wonderful songs and albums but Deadwing has remained the one I hold in highest regard.

For a newcomer, Steven Wilson's velvety voice and style of singing can take a while to fully appreciate, but I found it relentlessly rewarding if you do. The smooth production on this album is perfect to my ears, and it paves the way for the beautifully melancholic music contained within. The music ranges from the progressive 'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here', to the fast paced 'Open Car', to the more mellow melodies of 'Mellotron Scratch' and 'Glass Arm Shattering'. I think this particular collection of songs make the most sense when considered in terms of a film soundtrack, as it's based on a screenplay co-written by S Wilson.

I'd agree that 'Lazarus' would be my least favourite off the album, and for a long time I would have been with ScienceNerd and Dr.Poca in saying that 'ASBNH' is my favourite, but I tend to look forward to the more mellow tunes the most when I put the album on of late. So here's one, 'Mellotron Scratch', which features a simply beautiful vocal harmony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Great song xerces. I know what you mean. The songs you mention wouldn't be the ones that jump to mind when I think of the album, but whenever I'm listening to them I'm fully aware of how amazing they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

My favourite from the album would be 'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here'

Really nice and mellow stuff. I could see myself getting into this band. Might pick this album up next time I go CD shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,155 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Completely forgot to post on this.

This album is quite simply stunning. Although I never recommend it as theirmost accesible work, some of the songs on it are crafted pieces of gold, in terms of music. Bar the more well-known songs on it, Shallow has to be one of my favourite songs, alongside Mellotron Scratch. Up there in my favourite bands, its an album that shows just how good steven is at turning his hand to any task he touches.

Advertisement