Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for eye surgery in Mater

Options
  • 25-08-2011 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi folks, had a bad experience with Optilase and didn't go through with the surgery. So I'm looking to go to the Mater private or somewhere similar - somewhere where I'm not on a production line!

Can people tell me their experiences of the Mater and recommend a surgeon with an excellent bedside manner? Also what prices am I looking at? Does every consultation cost money or is it included in the full price?
    I was supposed to get LasIK done by Microkeratome blade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Anyone any dealings with the Mater? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

I had lasek done in the mater 3 weeks ago with professor Michael OKeeffe it cost €1535 per eye. The consultation fee was €120. I found the service in the mater excellent the staff are all very pleasant and very helpful and ease any nerves you may have regarding the procedure. Professor OKeeffe makes you feel at ease and explains the procedure in great detail also I found it very easy to ask any questions and the aftercare service is excellent with check ups every 2 weeks then a month then 6 weeks and so on. He really cares for his patients and has a genuine interest in his work and his patients. He is very experience in this field of work and this can been seen each time you go for an appointment there is always lots of people waiting to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Hey thanks for that info Marieky. Do you only pay the consultation fee once and are the follow up sessions included in the larger price?

I was made to feel like an idiot for asking questions about when to apply makeup after laser. In fact when I asked another question I was told to ask the girls downstairs! I need to find a surgeon who doesn't mind these questions (legitimate questions from a woman) and who is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

You only have to pay the consultation fee once and the day of the surgery you pay €1535 per eye and after that all the follow up appointments and check ups are included in the €1535 so you have no more charges. I had no problem asking Professor OKeeffe any questions I found him really nice a true gentleman and the nurses were all great one even held my hand during the surgery on my first eye as I was very nervous. Everything is explain in great detail so I really had not many questions to ask as the professor covers absolutely everything on your first visit. I would highly recommend the Mater my sister had hers done last March and she says it was the best money she ever spent and can see better now than she ever could with her glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mike_Coza

Laser eye surgery cost very expensive because it is around $2000-$3500 per eye, and I think this surgery don't use any anesthetic? It's a little bit frightful that's why I didn't try this laser eye surgery instead I try the natural vision correction, It is more about eye exercises and healthy diets. You can try also the method that I've tried. Here is the link
    http://bit.ly/HowGetRidOfYourGlasses
    It is very natural way of enhancing one's eye that's why you don't have to worry about the side effects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Mike_Coza wrote: »
    Laser eye surgery cost very expensive because it is around $2000-$3500 per eye, and I think this surgery don't use any anesthetic? It's a little bit frightful that's why I didn't try this laser eye surgery instead I try the natural vision correction, It is more about eye exercises and healthy diets. You can try also the method that I've tried. Here is the link
    http://bit.ly/HowGetRidOfYourGlasses
    It is very natural way of enhancing one's eye that's why you don't have to worry about the side effects.

Laser eye surgery DOES use anesthetic. The cornea is an area in your body with some of the most nerve endings and it's madness to suggest you wouldn't be given anesthetic.

Also there is no scientific backing to the natural vision correction. It does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I've seen the Mater €1535 per eye fee on a few different threads here, is that before or after a 20% tax rebate and do they have discounts for Health Insurance members (Aviva)?

Of course price isn't my primary concern but I'd like to get my finances in order before I begin the process of booking consultations.

Also is Mr O'Keeffe still operating there? Read and heard good things about him.

Advertisement