Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #74

Options
  • 05-06-2012 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest slightly later than advertised Album of the Week. Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote.

Here's the breakdown of the votes. Only albums with more than one vote are listed.
    Band|Album|Votes
    Iron Maiden|Seventh Son of a Seventh Son|6
    Nirvana|Nevermind|4
    Deicide|Legion|3
    Children of Bodom|Hate Crew Deathroll|2

Here is Can I play with Madness from the winning album, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Fantastic album. One of my favourite Maiden albums.

From the iconic artwork to numerous memorable songs with lyrics inspired by the Novel Seventh Son to the superb production. Maiden seemed to be broadening their sound by using keyboards on this album too. It has a very distinct sound and feel compared to previous and even subsequent Maiden albums. It evokes thoughts and feelings that no other Maiden album can do for me personally.

Great stuff. :)

P.S. Malice, why not put the name of the album of the week in the thread title and not just AOTW #74? More people might click into the thread thus eliciting some discussion on the winning albums. Doesn't seem to be much discussion on the winning albums once they get voted in. Just an idea. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Theres no discussion because people are waiting for the big one....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Passenger wrote: »
    P.S. Malice, why not put the name of the album of the week in the thread title and not just AOTW #74? More people might click into the thread thus eliciting some discussion on the winning albums. Doesn't seem to be much discussion on the winning albums once they get voted in. Just an idea. :)
    I was (well, still am) operating under the theory that if people have to click into the thread to see who actually won then once they are in the thread they might be more likely to comment.

You're right that there isn't much discussion happening on the recent threads :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Theres no discussion because people are waiting for the big one....

All three of them :p:pac:

You see, this is what I mean. There's no discussion on AOTW.

There's a thread created for the winning album and then yer man MaxPower swans in and starts bangin' on about how how his vote was scuppered yet again. A few other posters reply with wink and laugh smilies and the thread fades until another AOTW thread is created.

What's the point in AOTW if nobody will at least elicit some discussion on the winning albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I wouldn't consider myself a massive Maiden fan, they're one of those bands that I enjoy listening to whenever they're on but I never get around to actually checking them out properly.

Funnily enough, this album was the first Maiden album I got, years ago when I didn't know anything about them, and it is absolutely a phenomenal album.

The songs are so well written and are just effortlessly good. Great musicianship and Bruce sounding fantastic. I also really like the production, it sounds brilliant.
    I've heard a lot of their stuff but there's just something really special about Seveth Son. It just has this great mood throughout.

If I had to pick a favourite track I think I'd have to go for Moonchild, just because I was blown away when I first listened to it. It wasn't like the Maiden I had heard up until that point and was just such an amazing and intense piece of music. It was way beyond a lot of the music I was listening to at that point actually. Wasn't expecting anything like it, in a good way :D

Regarding the chat in the thread, I agree that there hasn't been a huge amount of chat. I usually wait to reply to these threads so I can have a decently written post as opposed to rushing it!
    Maybe we should just try asking questions of the others posters who voted for the album?

E.g. What's your favourite track from the album? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Did not vote for the album, but have been a Maiden fan every since The Number Of The Beast was released.

SSOASS is a good album imho, but I would put four Maiden albums, maybe even five, ahead of it.I think that it was nowhere near as good as the album that came before it, which was the brilliant Somewhere In Time. But then again SSOASS was far better than the album that came after it, No Prayer For The Dying.

Have a soft spot for it as the Seventh Son tour was the one that was on when Maiden played at the 1988 Monsters Of Rock (which was the first huge metal festival that I went to.)

Moonchild, Infinite Dreams, and The Evil That Men Do would be the stand out tracks for me.I just get more of a kick from those three tracks than any other on the album, and they, for me, have aged better than the rest of the album.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Regarding the chat in the thread, I agree that there hasn't been a huge amount of chat. I usually wait to reply to these threads so I can have a decently written post as opposed to rushing it!
    Maybe we should just try asking questions of the others posters who voted for the album?

E.g. What's your favourite track from the album? Why?
    Kess73 wrote: »
    SSOASS is a good album imho, but I would put four Maiden albums, maybe even five, ahead of it.I think that it was nowhere near as good as the album that came before it, which was the brilliant Somewhere In Time. But then again SSOASS was far better than the album that came after it, No Prayer For The Dying.

Good replies fellas.

As for Dr.Poca's suggestion of asking questions for AOTW, well that's a decent idea. Why not have a set of say 5 generic questions and then if a poster wants to reply to the AOTW they simply answer the 5 pre-written questions??

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

As was said earlier, it's a good album; but by Maiden standards, not outstanding. I love 'Can I play With Madness' and 'The Evil That Men Do' - killer tracks. The title track and 'Moonchild' are good too. The rest of the songs fail to stand out for me though.

Advertisement