Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-09-2009, 20:25   #1
The Sparrow
Registered User
 
The Sparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,308
Best Buffet in Dublin?

Lad's I figured this was the place to ask this important question. I'm going out for dinner on Friday for my birthday and I really fancy a decent all you can eat buffet. Especially after hearing all about Jimmy Chungs on Eden Quay as it was where Bernard Dunne had his pre-fight press conference.

So is that the best place or should I be looking elsewhere? All cuisines welcome.
The Sparrow is offline  
Advertisement
23-09-2009, 21:26   #2
jimi_t
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: That park with the ducks
Posts: 2,570
Nothing even comes close to the Full House on Middle Abbey Street. Just below the Academy. Under a tenner for absolutely all you can eat and the food is excellent quality, even the seafood. Menu changes a good bit, but there's always the likes of black bean, sweet and sour and other standards.

(and believe me, after gorging on malaysian prawns and szechuan mussels 6 months ago on a 2hr+ session, you simply can't get food poisoning in there )
jimi_t is offline  
Thanks from:
23-09-2009, 22:38   #3
Degsy
Banned
 
Degsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: To the right of Genghis Khan
Posts: 13,041
Send a message via MSN to Degsy
Jimmy Chungs is a great spot,absolutely masses of differnet dishes,all replaced regularly so everything is fresh and delicious.
Was actually only there last sunday on a date and i really cant fault the place,the staff are great and they have a HUGELY well-stocked bar.
Lots of room too so you always get a table.
Degsy is offline  
(3) thanks from:
23-09-2009, 22:57   #4
admiralofthefleet
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,320
the fact that you can pull your own ice cream (like an ice cream van) is reason enough to go to jimmy chungs.
im not a fan of chinese but acting out my childhood dreams made me go there
/now to find a good indian all you can eat
admiralofthefleet is offline  
Thanks from:
24-09-2009, 11:57   #5
Degsy
Banned
 
Degsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: To the right of Genghis Khan
Posts: 13,041
Send a message via MSN to Degsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralofthefleet View Post
the fact that you can pull your own ice cream (like an ice cream van) is reason enough to go to jimmy chungs.
im not a fan of chinese but acting out my childhood dreams made me go there
/now to find a good indian all you can eat

To say nothing of the black forest gateaux you can get there to go with the ice-cream..afaik there's an indian buffet right next door to chungs..i often see an indian girl hustling outside the place..
Degsy is offline  
Advertisement
24-09-2009, 13:08   #6
admiralofthefleet
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
To say nothing of the black forest gateaux you can get there to go with the ice-cream..afaik there's an indian buffet right next door to chungs..i often see an indian girl hustling outside the place..
there is but im very hard to please when it comes to indian, everytime i have indian i compare it to the place on richmond street which does the best indian imo
admiralofthefleet is offline  
26-09-2009, 22:14   #7
keano_afc
Registered User
 
keano_afc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bray, Co. Dublin
Posts: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralofthefleet View Post
there is but im very hard to please when it comes to indian, everytime i have indian i compare it to the place on richmond street which does the best indian imo
Except when they poisoned the life out of me and left me walking like a cowboy for days.
keano_afc is offline  
26-09-2009, 22:21   #8
cgarrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralofthefleet View Post
there is but im very hard to please when it comes to indian, everytime i have indian i compare it to the place on richmond street which does the best indian imo

The best indian is Chandi opp the US Embassy in Ballsbridge....
cgarrad is offline  
26-09-2009, 22:30   #9
martingore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 129
Without a doubt , Full House on Abbey street
martingore is offline  
Advertisement
20-05-2012, 15:04   #10
Mr.Biscuits
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 737
Most have very poor quality food.

Chung's is the only decent one around Dublin that I have been in.
Mr.Biscuits is offline  
20-05-2012, 15:10   #11
Rafa1977
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi_t View Post
Nothing even comes close to the Full House on Middle Abbey Street. Just below the Academy. Under a tenner for absolutely all you can eat and the food is excellent quality, even the seafood. Menu changes a good bit, but there's always the likes of black bean, sweet and sour and other standards.

(and believe me, after gorging on malaysian prawns and szechuan mussels 6 months ago on a 2hr+ session, you simply can't get food poisoning in there )
Have always planned on trying this place, never got around to, might try it next Friday, thanks for reminding me. I don't think I have ever gone to a great buffet in Dublin, think over all they are fairly poor. Jimmy Chungs is ok, staff are very nice and helpful, but when it comes to Chinese food I am fairly picky as I have had so many good chinese meals over the years from the wife and have been to good buffets outside of Dublin and Ireland.
Rafa1977 is offline  
21-05-2012, 15:02   #12
uch
Registered User
 
uch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 17 - 24
Posts: 4,003
Was in the one in Edinburgh, pure muck, don't know if Dublin is the same but I wouldn't recommend it.
uch is online now  
25-05-2012, 16:19   #13
davet82
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,674
there is a mongolian resturant in temple bar does a lunch time buffet for under a tenner and i've heard its nice but i have no idea what sort of food mongolians eat
davet82 is offline  
25-05-2012, 16:21   #14
jill_valentine
Registered User
 
jill_valentine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,590
+1 for Full House. Om Nom Nom.
jill_valentine is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet