Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CLocked Car

Options
  • 24-05-2012 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi Guys just discovered that the car i bought five months ago is clocked and the seat beats and all were replaced which make me think that the car could of been crashed.

What are my rights. Am I entiled to the money back on the tax i put on this car and the fee for the nct.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

if you bought from a dealer you may be covered by the sale of goods supply of services act.

If it's a private sale you are probably not entitled to anything.

If you bought on credit you may be able to get released from the loan - as they own the car until you finish the payments.

As for road tax and NCT money? Very much doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭swanie29

i was afraid of that with losing money on tax and nct money
    the dealer offered to change the clock again back to what he thought the mileage should be told him outright no

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What proof do you have that the car has been clocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

How does the dealer know what the mileage should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

AltAccount wrote: »
    How does the dealer know what the mileage should be?

sounds dodge to me - get onto trading standards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

something-smells-fishy-and-it-certainly-isnt-fish-thumb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

This the focus with the dodgy turbo?

Anan1 wrote: »
    What proof do you have that the car has been clocked?

rang the last garage it was serviced in

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mess_it

You could try running it through http://www.carhistorycheck.ie/. I think you have to pay a small fee but they will find all the info going for it through its reg.

Its usually a handy thing to try if you're looknig at a used car you're not sure about.

yep

• Advertisement

swanie29 wrote: »
    rang the last garage it was serviced in
    And the mileage was higher then than when you bought the car? File a case with the small claims court, you can do this online and it's very cheap. The garage will probably refund your money before the case comes to court.

If i was you id do the history check and get all my info together and go back to the dealer. How do you know all the seatbelts have been replaced?

again i rang the ford garage in the north and they told me the last serivce and the mileage what it had done etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

You bought a UK import with 128k on the clock without checking either the type for known problems or the actual car history. You got a 3 month guarantee and it worked fine for 5 months before this issue presented itself.

I think you're wasting your time trying to get the garage to take responsibility at this stage.

Chalk it up to experience.

btw, there was 128k on the clock... whats the year / genuine mileage?

Gurgle wrote: »
    You bought a UK import with 128k on the clock without checking either the type for known problems or the actual car history. You got a 3 month guarantee and it worked fine for 5 months before this issue presented itself.

I think you're wasting your time trying to get the garage to take responsibility at this stage.

If the OP couldn't prove that the car had been clocked i'd agree with you.

Gurgle wrote: »

If the mileage at the time of the last service was more than when he bought it he could well have a case and be entitled to a full or part refund. Wont be an easy battle tho

to be fair there is servcie history up the middle of 2010 with 125 in the service log thought the car might of been sitting up for a while

to be fair there is servcie history up the middle of 2010 with 125 in the service log thought the car might of been sitting up for a while
    Hang on so the mileage was not actually more than was on it when you bought it??

Hang on so the mileage was not actually more than was on it when you bought it??
    when i got the car it was 128 on clock and the last servied was in the middle of 2010 by ford book stamped and all by them at 125 so i thought the car had been sitting up for a year as does happen with some cars so there was a difference of 3000 miles

Yes a difference of 3k less than when you bought it, doubt it was clocked tbh maybe sitting up for a while waiting to be sold or someone doing school runs or that. I know my oh only does about 2k a year at most doing the school run and shopping ect

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1/. What is the correct mileage?

2/. Why didn't you check out the car fully before buying it?

rang the ford in the north they said it was serviced april 2011 not in book and it was 144 on clock acroding to them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

rang the ford in the north they said it was serviced april 2011 not in book and it was 144 on clock acroding to them

In my experience nobody would clock a car by a mere 16,000.

Jasus your bad at explaining things!! Right well if thats the case you should ask for a copy of that off the ford garage in the north

In my experience nobody would clock a car by a mere 16,000.
    If that was mid 2011 there could have well been another 10k on it by the time the op bought it tho

I sorry not being great at explaing things
    ford in the north of ireland said that they could not send a copy of this information but anyone could ring up for this information and they give it to them over the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Mileage will have been recorded at the last MOT up north. Do you know when that was or do you have the cert?

there was no stamp in the service book i only took a chance by ringing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

there was no stamp in the service book i only took a chance by ringing them
    then you have no solid proof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Sounds a bit odd, the book came with the car and has full service history. Why would they not have stamped the book?

Advertisement