Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-05-2012, 22:43   #16
slammer187

I just want to clarify this

1. I don't mean to offend anybody, maybe I sound like some bender but I like Jiu Jitsu, I want to train with everybody and I want everybody to reach their potential...the better my training partners are the better I get, the better my opponents are the better I have to get! So I think that if you want to contribute to the community do so in a way that's because you want to improve the sport not to try and make some easy money, If we try and scam money out of each other the sport will never grow but if we help each other we're all going to improve

2. Spartan is a massive facility and could hold plenty of people and it would be a great day which I would have a great interest in attending

Also I don't want anyone to think that all the RJJ boyz are hopping into the thread to piss people off or trying to compete with Spartan, if you want to make money off of this do so but I think it's fairer to do it for the sport and not for profit, if you want to profit teach classes. It's only fair that people know how an open mat works.

It's too easy to make money off people who don't know better and I assume that the OP didn't understand that the point of an Open Mat is for people to train together not for profit

Last edited by slammer187; 17-05-2012 at 22:51.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-05-2012, 22:43   #17
cowzerp

I think if you advertised it as a fundraising open day people might be more into supporting it, when I read open day I did think it was free-if I run an open day that's how I do it been honest, probably will do 1 soon enough for the craic.
(3) thanks from:
17-05-2012, 22:54   #18
Chris89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowzerp View Post
I think if you advertised it as a fundraising open day people might be more into supporting it.
100%.
18-05-2012, 00:59   #19
DavidPhelan

If you wanna make money, run a Gi comp in july. It seems like you just thought, "I know, we'll ask people to come roll with us and charge a fiver so we can get our gear back". However the bjj community is a very informed, cynical and broke group of people, so getting money from them needs a hell of a lot more thought than that.

You'd be very lucky if you got 10 or 15 people, making you only €50-€75. You'd be wayyyyy better off doing bag packing in Dunnes on a Saturday. It's harder work but if money was that easy to make, we'd all be millionaires!!
19-05-2012, 13:28   #20
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowzerp View Post
I think if you advertised it as a fundraising open day people might be more into supporting it
I think that was probably the OP's original intent, but he's not here long enough to know the craic here ~ type up your OP, proof read it. Proof read it again ten more times, consider the angles and the holes which will be picked in it then if you still have the balls ~ POST.

Some people need to get over themselves in this thread (not you Paul).

OP best of luck with things and if you want me to edit your original post just say so. And apologizes for not getting back to your PM sooner but I was offline for over a week.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-05-2012, 14:14   #21
bjj-fighter

Send a message via MSN to bjj-fighter
I'll go anyway, its only €5 for a good cause, even if I barely have it myself. I just hope it will have a good enough turn out for some good rolls! And that there'll be some Gi players
Thanks from:
19-05-2012, 14:17   #22
Makikomi

Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjj-fighter View Post
I'll go anyway, its only €5 for a good cause, even if I barely have it myself. I just hope it will have a good enough turn out for some good rolls! And that there'll be some Gi players
+1 and you know what, I'd throw the lads over a few bucks too to help 'em out.

(checks dates again, might head over too)
19-05-2012, 23:26   #23
Bres

Cheers lads for the positive responses, i guess i should have called it a fundraiser from the start my bad.
Just to address Slammer187 our instructor is Anthony Dunne who holds a purple belt under Anthony Galeano.

The idea behind the day is for everyone to warm up together then just hit the mats and start rolling. It has worked with wrestling camps we have done so i hope it will work in the Bjj community. The reason we are not holding an instructed class is because we are not protesting for any of our coaches to be able to show anything you can't learn in your own club. But rather give you a chance to tryout what you have learned on people you may not be used to rolling with that you might usually have to wait till a competition. The fiver will also cover you to use our gym equipment if you just want to have a light roll then lift some heavy things...

Sorry again! We will have an open mat tomorrow 20th of may @2pm for anyone to come down free of charge.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion