Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT price hike!

Options
  • 12-05-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

VRTing the car on Tuesday and I see that the online price from the revenue website has gone up €300 since last week! How the hell can a price go up as the car gets older?? It's the exact same search criteria as well, mondeo 2008 titanium x 140bhp. I know its not exact but going from €3053 to €3358 is a bit of a jump!

Is there any grounds for appealing that price in lieu of it being cheaper 4 weeks ago?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Any chance you took note of the first stat code? It could be the same search criteria but your clicking sonething different. I used to come acceoss this every time i vrt'd a focus

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dirkster

Any chance you took note of the first stat code? It could be the same search criteria but your clicking sonething different. I used to come acceoss this every time i vrt'd a focus

No and I actually said to myself a few weeks ago to take down the code but just said f*ck it, its hardly going to go up! :D No its definitely the same search criteria, I must have done it 50 times when I was reserching the car and other models etc. I knew it off by heart to the €!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I believe that there is anecdotal evidence, that the more times a particular stat code is checked, the revenue will increase the omsp and thus the vrt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Dirkster wrote: »
    No and I actually said to myself a few weeks ago to take down the code but just said f*ck it, its hardly going to go up! :D No its definitely the same search criteria, I must have done it 50 times when I was reserching the car and other models etc. I knew it off by heart to the €!
    testicle wrote: »
    I believe that there is anecdotal evidence, that the more times a particular stat code is checked, the revenue will increase the omsp and thus the vrt...
    oops:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have read/heard this before, but don't know if it's true. If it is, sneaky fuppers!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

I have been looking at bringing in a Ford S max and the price for identical input data has gone up 500euro for the model I have checked over the past couple of months.
    Also, bizzarely the price for a model six months later in the year is 50 euro cheaper than one from the first half of the year.
    I think they must make it up as they go along!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Ah cor blimey don't tell me there changin the feckin vrt charges week to week. It shouldn't be there atall :p

Ya I'd love to know where they're getting the figures from, I reckon it's a magic 8 ball.. How can a car logically go up in value as it gets older? I should've gone the bangernomics route, in 10 years the car would be worth a fortune!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Get used to it. Revenue are a law unto themselves unless you have the financial ability to challenge their decisions in the High Court.

... And don't the b*stards know it... Playing hardball is no snot off the nose of a desk officer, if it gets messy they just pass it up the line. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

This can't be a serious statement ? Do you really believe that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

michellie wrote: »

Its the revenue commissioners job to collect taxes, unfortunately it does increase

If only every department could work as efficiently as revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

kuro2k wrote: »

Its the revenue commissioners job to collect taxes, unfortunately it does increase

Exactly and it says on the right hand side of the vrt calculator that the price can change on a daily basis. Yet people still can't come to terms with that when it happens.

kuro2k wrote: »

Exactly and it says on the right hand side of the vrt calculator that the price can change on a daily basis. Yet people still can't come to terms with that when it happens.

Well that's fair enough but surely you'd have to agree that you cannot continue to move the goal posts around. The rules are there, fair enough, but where the logic is in that a car costs more as it depreciates more without any change to the system is beyond me. What kind of a computer program have they got running this thing??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

me too. It just shows that their idea of an omsp is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

carsfan wrote: »
    I have been looking at bringing in a Ford S max and the price for identical input data has gone up 500euro for the model I have checked over the past couple of months.
    Also, bizzarely the price for a model six months later in the year is 50 euro cheaper than one from the first half of the year.

Try checking with higher/lower mileage, and altering the month of registration.

The mileage is factored into the VRT calculation in a fairly narrow band, and depends on the age of the car in months. Take 09 Insignia diesel as an example. Mileage below 50k doesn't affect VRT, nor does above 75k. For something in the middle (take 55k as an example), the VRT quote depends on the age in months. So if you were to check the price now, and check again in say two months, the VRT would go up because the miles per month would be lower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

carsfan wrote: »

Well it would only make sense that a random, made up charge that only has its equivalent in places like Nigeria, where they make up taxes and charges on the spot, would fluctuate.
    It's not a compuuuther at all, it's Sean sitting on the other side, looking at the input data and he says "ah jeez, I'll be thinkin' now dat ceaaar should be coshtin' E5000 to imporrt"
    And if he sees you're coming back next week, acting the cute hoor he says "Ah jeez now, dat fecker again, I'll be fixing him good now!" and whacks another few hundred on top of it.
    One of the lessons of being a civil servant in a banana republic is the ability to come up with a completely fabricated tax and an amount for same in about 0.5 seconds.
    Only in most banana republics the recipient of that made up tax/fine is the individual themselves, whilst in Ireland the entire state is in the business of coming up with whack taxes and bilking you for them.

Just to update, paid the VRT today, almost got sick on the way home from it.. I asked him about the price fluctuation in the centre, (I know they're not responsible for it) and he said at the end of every month that the prices are 'adjusted'. I asked him would they have many cars and he said they've 19 booked today alone and had 27 yesterday!:eek: Says about an average of 20 a day and that's only one centre. Must be some amount of cars entering the country this way..

On the anecdotal evidence about price hikes on regularly searched cars, I would have always been sceptical but I'm starting to come around to this way of thinking but maybe not from the searches themselves and more the quantity of a certain tyoe of car entering. I notice on the receipt that they issue it has the statistical code for your vehicle on it. There is surely software totting up a bar chart every month from these codes as to what vehicles are entering the country and which are most prevalent.

The NCT fellow said that a lot of mondeo's are coming in so it would go to show that if there were a lot of mondeo's coming in in March and April that it isn't much of a stretch for the guy on the other end to say "lets up that a small bit to improve revenue". my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

There's a tiny bit of logic to it too, as a car gets more popular, the selling price of it goes up too. Nissan 200SX's used to be very cheap, and around 700 to VRT. Drifting takes over, fellas go mad looking for them and import them to beat the band, and soon afterwards the OMSP is upped by revenue to match the new demand for these cars. Which is somewhat fair, as the point of VRT is to make imported cars worth around the same as what they are worth here.
    But they certainly do add their piece of icing to the cake if they see a lot of any model coming in, whether it really does have a higher OMSP than they first thought or not!

I can sympathise.
    Surely a tax would have to be set at a certain rate, transparent, fair and it should be easy to work out what it should be.
    Surely this "Oirish" crap of saying "Ahh, jeez now, dat ceeaar dere, t'will be coshtin' you five hundred euuurdo to import" isn't legal.
    If VRT where to be challenged at the European court, it should be on the grounds that it is random, arbitrary and apparently set by way of having monkeys throw darts at a wall covered in random figures.
    You can't set taxes like some horsetrader who puts his hand on his stomach, looks up at the sky and pulls a figure out of his ass.
    Morons, gombeens, greedy bastards, assholes and I really have to call thick mickery on this, meaning acting all thick and innocent whilst fleecing you in the most cunning and devious way.
    As I said, corruption in Africa is down to the official making up bogus taxes so that he can trouser them himself, in Ireland the whole government machine is designed that way, so we're not as bad as some African nations, we're ten times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes, I've seen it myself.

Btw, what we could do with, as Revenue are extremely UNhelpful, is a 'pool' of stastical codes for certain models, so we could get 'maximum' benefit from the searches on the Revenue site.

So, if anyone has a VLC with the Statisical code for a Boxster 2.5 Tiptronic, circa 1997 - 1999, I'd love to have it !

Actually, just looking at the new VRT process - what's the story with the PPS no requirement ????

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Actually, just looking at the new VRT process - what's the story with the PPS no requirement ????

Ah, that smells of nabbing you for tax if you import more than x number of cars in y number of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Ah, that smells of nabbing you for tax if you import more than x number of cars in y number of months.

And what would be wrong with that ???

If someone is importing more than x cars "on the side", why wouldn't they be subject to the same tax laws (income tax, vat, etc) as legitimate dealers (be they big or small) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

VRT is not illegal, despite what some people here seem to think.

An unjust tax I agree, but not illegal. To be honest though the unique fascination Irish people have with road tax and spending thousands on a car to save maybe €100 a year annoys me an awful lot more than VRT does, especially as VRT is an awful lot lower now than it was before 2008 for the overwhelming majority of cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I know that this is a very old article but how about this

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eu-rules-aspects-of-vrt-are-illegal-68910.html

lifer_sean wrote: »
    And what would be wrong with that ???

If someone is importing more than x cars "on the side", why wouldn't they be subject to the same tax laws (income tax, vat, etc) as legitimate dealers (be they big or small) ?

Actually, don't see anything wrong with that (since it's not impinging on any of my existing rackets:D), just answering the question.
    My gripe is more with the random "Farmer Seamus cattle trading" nature of the existing tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Basketball Fan

Right, guys. There is some kind of increase i experienced. Month ago VRT for 09 2.0 Petrol VW CC was 1777eu, and now it increased up to 4400 :D how the hell is that happened? :D Did anyone appealed and got refund after paying VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Must be a full moon or something with all the old threads being dug up here lately.

VRT is known to fluctuate all the time. With that much of a gap between quotes I'd say your original figure was wrong or you entered incorrect data. I cannot imagine a 2.0 litre petrol CC only having VRT of under €1800.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

It's a makey up tax, they can charge whatever they want.

Gotta protect that Irish car industry

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Basketball Fan

All data was entered correctly, first time i did it on VRT site and printed,after month in the VRT offfice staff checked 3 times and yep, grow up nearly 3 times with no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

All data was entered correctly, first time i did it on VRT site and printed,after month in the VRT offfice staff checked 3 times and yep, grow up nearly 3 times with no reason.

I've just tried,and no petrol option comes up.
    You sure that you entered petrol?

Advertisement