Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparison of Accountancy Student & Member Numbers 2006 - 2010

Options
  • 11-05-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

I've attached a table on the Main Accountancy Bodies in Ireland, showing a Comparison of

1) Student Numbers 2006 - 2010

2) Member Numbers 2006 - 2010

IAASA publish the figures every year in their Annual Report. No sign of the 2011 report yet. Usually out in June or July.

Interesting to see that from 2006 to 2010 only ACCA has managed to increase their student numbers (by 13.5%).

Whereas all had healthy Membership increases in the period.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Still no sign of IAASA's 2011 Annual Report

I asked and received the following (standard) reply on 31 May

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thank you for your enquiry.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The Authority’s Annual Report 2011 was submitted to the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise & Innovation in late April in accordance with the Companies (Auditing and Accounting) Act, 2003 (‘the Act’).[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Pursuant to the Act, the Minister shall (no later than 30 June, 2012) lay the Report before the Houses of the Oireachtas.[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thereafter, the Authority will be in a position to publish the Report, and will do so [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]via[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] its website, www.iaasa.ie.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]If you wish, you may register for updates on the website (by following the ‘contact’ link on the home page), and you will be notified as and when the Report is published.[/FONT][/FONT]

Don't know why the Minister is holding onto this for the last 3 months & waiting until the last possible date to present the report to the Oireachtas.

Nothing ever really newsworthy in it, just a resource for students & members.

Anyway, I will update the Student & Member stats once published...

IAASA's 2011 Annual Report is finally out today (attached).

Updated Comparison of Accountancy Student & Member Numbers 2006 - 2011 is also attached.

Noted trends:

1. With the exception of CAI, each accountancy body's membership has dropped again in 2011.

However, I suspect CAI may be under recording their Lapsed student registrations. See pg 88

CAI's figure seems startlingly low compared to the others, which would give the impression they have more students than they do!

(Apologies if I'm wrong here but it just looks plain weird)

2. CPA's student numbers have dropped 45.8% since 2006. CIMA down 19.2%

3. As you'd expect, Membership numbers are at an all time high for all bodies.

IAASA's 2012 Annual Report is not due out for another few week but today they have released a document containing Studyent & Members numbers for 2012 (attached).

I have updated the Comparison of Accountancy Student & Member Numbers 2006 - 2012 (also attached).

Noted trends:

1. Each accountancy body's membership has dropped in 2012. This is a continuing trend.

However, I suspect CAI may be under recording their Lapsed student registrations. See pg 23 Table F.2

CAI's figure is again startlingly low compared to the others, which would give the impression they have more students than they do!

(Apologies if I'm wrong here but it just looks plain weird)

2. CPA's student numbers have dropped 53.1% since 2006. CIMA down 24.0%

3. As you'd expect, Membership numbers are at an all time high for all bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

CAI's figure is again startlingly low compared to the others, which would give the impression they have more students than they do!

Why "startlingly low"? They are an Irish body, so most of their members would be in Ireland. CAI have way more than the other bodies in Ireland.

Why "startlingly low"? They are an Irish body, so most of their members would be in Ireland. CAI have way more than the other bodies in Ireland.

These figures are soley for Irish students movements in year (Table F2 pg 23)

Actually, ACCA have more students (7,985 v CAI 5,136 at end of 2012). This is clearly stated in the table.

By way of comparison to show why these figures from CAI seem unusual:

ACCA had 8,347 students at 1 Jan 2012. Lapsed student registrations in 2012 was 1,175 (so 14% of total lapsed)

CIMA had 2,195 students at 1 Jan 2012. Lapsed student registrations in 2012 was 417 (so 19% of total lapsed)

CPA had 1,021 students at 1 Jan 2012. Lapsed student registrations in 2012 was 199 (so 19% of total lapsed)

CAI had 5,183 students at 1 Jan 2012. Lapsed student registrations in 2012 was 41 (so under 1% of total lapsed)

Look at the figures again and tell me why I'm wrong here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ACCA, CIMA and CPA will have students pursuing exams under own steam and possibly with own funding. Hardly surprising that there is a pretty high drop out rate (which may signify temporary drop outs) whereas CAI students will have training contracts and paying jobs which would be at risk in the event of a drop out.

Marcusm wrote: »
    ACCA, CIMA and CPA will have students pursuing exams under own steam and possibly with own funding. Hardly surprising that there is a pretty high drop out rate (which may signify temporary drop outs) whereas CAI students will have training contracts and paying jobs which would be at risk in the event of a drop out.

I can see where that could account for some of the difference but not all.

Many employers use ACCA for example and pay for their students.

Rather, I'd guess the difference lies in the methodology used by CAI.

For example, CAI may regard a lapsed student after 24 months of unpaid a student fees, whereas the others might look at 12 months.

Advertisement