Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-05-2012, 10:46   #16
antoobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob A. Bank View Post
Source ???
The limestone slab under the Corrib is the source of the environmental objection to the eastern section of the GCOB.
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 11:34   #17
pg633

I would rename loads of things after myself.

pg633 Square (formerly Eyre Square)
pg633 Station (formerly Ceannt Station)
pg633 Bridge (all the bridges in the city would be renamed with no distinction between them)
pg633 Promenade (formerly Salthill prom)
pg633 Street (formerly Williamsgate, Williams, Shop, High and Quay streets)
pg633 Arch (formerly Spanish Arch)
pg633 Bay
etc.

Besides that I would widen many of the roads in and around the city using the extra lanes as bus lanes.

I would also fill in Lough Atalia and create an urban park (pg633 Park)

I am already looking forward to the release of the new SimCity early next year.
Thanks from:
01-05-2012, 11:55   #18
aido179

Not a light rail, but an electric bus sytem. It works remarkably well in cities similar to galway. Instead of the rail, you just need the wires on the main roads wich the busses can connect to, and the busses have batteries to maneuver in the city center. silent, economical and very (realtively) easy to set up.

I would take the land by the docks where the oil tanks were (now the fair ground) and build an amphetheater for concerts/shows/plays and possibility of a drive in movie theater.

The the docks would be given a second lock gate to allow consant moving of boats in and out, but prevent the ships from coming in. Build the new qauy outside as planned for them. the dock area can then be turned into a cafe/restaurante area.
Thanks from:
01-05-2012, 12:45   #19
HardyEustace

Cycle lanes from all the major suburbs into the city.

A secure bicycle lock up area.

A 5,000 fine for people that sneak down the inside line by the docks and then squeeze in by the traffic lights and the half built cinema.

Favourable rates to small, local retailers on the high street to stop the Boots/mcDonalds/Accessorize march across the city.

Don't know where but an off road cycling lane that people can bring their kids 10k or so.

10,000 fine for muppets that cycle on the pavement... particulary when there are all those cycle lane (see point 1). If you're on your second set of teeth, you shouldn't be on the pavement.
01-05-2012, 12:47   #20
biko
Percolator

Please don't use this thread to get around the general traffic discussion ban.
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 13:06   #21
galwaycyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob A. Bank View Post
Source ???

I can see the karst limestone pavements of the Burren or the Aran Islands being protected by the EU, but surely not the bedrock or glacial till under the city !
This is true and there is a similar concern to preserve similar karst habitats on the outskirts of the city. Attempts to conflate these concerns for a surface habitat with an attempt to preserve the bedrock are, in my view, wholly mischevious and disingenuous.
01-05-2012, 13:34   #22
jkforde

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoobrien View Post
It appears that they do want to do exactly that. The small rocks and bounders that come up are fair game but the limestone slab under certain parts of Galway are protected by the EU.
AFAIK, this isn't correct. The Habitats Directive says nothing about sub-surface bedrock as a habitat. The surface limestone is only unique due to its karstic erosion texture and the diverse ecology that this sustains (some nice exposures out in Menlo). The limestone bedrock that's under the eastern part of the city is present under over 80% of the country and is not unique or protected, except in the case of critical water source aquifers but that's a different matter. There's also protection for geologically unique surface type sites or old mines but again that's not the case here.

aaanyways, back on topic.... would love to see the canals\tailraces\watercourses in the city recognised as the unique features in Ireland that they are, eg would love the swing bridges over the Eglington canal reinstated to allow barge traffic up into the lake, maybe boardwalks along some currently inaccessible sections (yeah, yeah, bush drinking vandalism concerns aside...), maybe get in a Dutch planner for a few years!

oh, and would love if they enact the current Development Pan objective of a greenway along the old Clifden line, if the land legal issues could be reasonably negotiated

...and a footpath\cycleway out from the city to Barna and beyond...

...and a hovercraft over to Clare!

Last edited by jkforde; 01-05-2012 at 13:37.
(2) thanks from:
01-05-2012, 13:41   #23
HardyEustace

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
Please don't use this thread to get around the general traffic discussion ban.
Erm, I genuinely wasn't aiming for that, the post genuinely outlines a couple of things that I think would bring a very positive change to the city. But I know the topics have been done to death!
Thanks from:
01-05-2012, 14:06   #24
antoobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkforde View Post
AFAIK, this isn't correct. The Habitats Directive says nothing about sub-surface bedrock as a habitat.
It's part (not all) of the issue and is mentioned in the ABP report on the road plan.

Edit - take a look at page 14 of the ABP inspectors report, the "limestone pavement" is clearly mentioned as being of concern.

Last edited by antoobrien; 01-05-2012 at 14:41.
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 14:22   #25
fishy fishy

take down the plastic and glass, and stick to the authentic stone of the area.
(3) thanks from:
01-05-2012, 14:45   #26
antoobrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy fishy View Post
take down the plastic and glass, and stick to the authentic stone of the area.
And use more traditional hand made wood signage.

Last edited by antoobrien; 01-05-2012 at 14:57. Reason: clarification
Thanks from:
01-05-2012, 15:06   #27
fishy fishy

also, send the bright spark who decided to head to china for paving into the shame slammer, and instead get some authentic Irish paving for the buckled up shop street roadways.
Thanks from:
01-05-2012, 19:24   #28
galwaycyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoobrien View Post
It's part (not all) of the issue and is mentioned in the ABP report on the road plan.

Edit - take a look at page 14 of the ABP inspectors report, the "limestone pavement" is clearly mentioned as being of concern.
The limestone pavement is the bit on the top with the plants growing on it. The bedrock is the layers of rock underneath the surface.
Thanks from:
01-05-2012, 19:38   #29
aido179

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkforde View Post
would love to see the canals\tailraces\watercourses in the city recognised as the unique features in Ireland that they are, eg would love the swing bridges over the Eglington canal reinstated to allow barge traffic up into the lake
I would love this. Unfortunately, we are going in the wrong direction especially with the new bridge on fisheries field being built.
01-05-2012, 20:02   #30
galwaycyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy fishy View Post
also, send the bright spark who decided to head to china for paving into the shame slammer, and instead get some authentic Irish paving for the buckled up shop street roadways.
Yep same theme undo the messing at Eyre Square - restore the cast iron railings etc.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion