Copyrighting question? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-04-2012, 00:42   #1
TheStickyBandit
Registered User
 
TheStickyBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cork
Posts: 388
Copyrighting question?

Our band After Earth (shameless plug -http://www.facebook.com/pages/After-...67248366640556 ) have recorded some songs and we are looking to find out what the story is with copyrighting! Any info appreciated!
TheStickyBandit is offline  
Advertisement
13-04-2012, 01:23   #2
Tallon
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22,926
What about copyright?
Tallon is offline  
13-04-2012, 01:34   #3
TheStickyBandit
Registered User
 
TheStickyBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cork
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallon View Post
What about copyright?
How does one copyright music?
TheStickyBandit is offline  
16-04-2012, 15:56   #4
aido179
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Galway
Posts: 422
Hey,
I've done a little research on this in the past. Copyright is implicit once a work has been made. That means the songs you write are automatically copyrighted as soon as you make them, once they are original of course. The major issue is how to prove the copyright if it ever comes to it. There are a few ways to do it as I remember, including getting the work signed in a solicitors office (I don't know if that is very easy or cheap to sort out).

The other way is to post it to yourself then keep the envelope somewhere safe. That way, you have it sealed and dated from the post office. Then if there is ever a problem just produce the envelope as proof.

As far as how long copyright lasts, that's a whole other story. Take a gander on google!
aido179 is offline  
Thanks from:
24-04-2012, 17:08   #5
iMADEtheBBC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by aido179 View Post

The other way is to post it to yourself then keep the envelope somewhere safe. That way, you have it sealed and dated from the post office. Then if there is ever a problem just produce the envelope as proof.
I wish this was in the FAQ here because I see 'poor man's copyright' referred to frequently and it is simply not correct.


http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man%27s_copyright

http://www.mntechlaw.com/copyright.html
iMADEtheBBC is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-04-2012, 12:03   #6
Meehanmeehan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
As long as ye don't copyright any chugging open E riffs..
Meehanmeehan is offline  
26-04-2012, 12:59   #7
TheStickyBandit
Registered User
 
TheStickyBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cork
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehanmeehan View Post
As long as ye don't copyright any chugging open E riffs..
Great contribution, thanks!

We play our stuff in C# anyway!
TheStickyBandit is offline  
28-04-2012, 01:48   #8
Meehanmeehan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
What do you think will happen if you don't copyright them?
Meehanmeehan is offline  
30-04-2012, 00:25   #9
TheStickyBandit
Registered User
 
TheStickyBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cork
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehanmeehan View Post
What do you think will happen if you don't copyright them?
I think if we "don't copyright them", random users on the INTERNET will continue to bombard all my threads with pointless, unhelpful and moronic statements/comments/questions for all of eternity.

It may also spark another bang, perhaps bigger than the BIG bang and our band would be seen as the satirical metal band who morphed the world into the 'New Era' with their free-to-download album, ironicly named 'Uncopyrighted Chaos'.

Those among many other things might happen!


As the saying goes; Ask a silly question......
TheStickyBandit is offline  
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 14:15   #10
Meehanmeehan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStickyBandit View Post
It may also spark another bang, perhaps bigger than the BIG bang and our band would be seen as the satirical metal band who morphed the world into the 'New Era' with their free-to-download album, ironicly named 'Uncopyrighted Chaos'.

Those among many other things might happen!
I'd pay to see that!
Also free-to-download albums are a good idea
Also Uncopyrighted Chaos could be a good name for a song/album, hope noone steals it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStickyBandit View Post
I think if we "don't copyright them", random users on the INTERNET will continue to bombard all my threads with pointless, unhelpful and moronic statements/comments/questions for all of eternity.
....
If you ever visit Youtube you'll see this has happened to every copyrighted song ever, might as well get used to it

Last edited by Meehanmeehan; 01-05-2012 at 14:18.
Meehanmeehan is offline  
Thanks from:
09-05-2012, 20:46   #11
CrimsonSounds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Meath
Posts: 38
Have you considered Emeraz ?

http://www.emeraz.com/menu.php?menu_id=2
CrimsonSounds is offline  
Thanks from:
13-05-2012, 22:09   #12
Feeling Groovy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18

Just mp3 the file/song and email it to yourself. The email will be dated and timed and the file will be available to download from the email it was included with in the future. This will cover any stealing of your intellectual property which is what copyright infringement is.

Also if you dont trust the electronic system, in the past folk have posted it to themselves or in some cases have gone to their local garda station and got them to stamp a sealed envelope.
Feeling Groovy is offline  
14-05-2012, 22:38   #13
iMADEtheBBC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeling Groovy View Post
Just mp3 the file/song and email it to yourself. The email will be dated and timed and the file will be available to download from the email it was included with in the future. This will cover any stealing of your intellectual property which is what copyright infringement is.

Also if you dont trust the electronic system, in the past folk have posted it to themselves or in some cases have gone to their local garda station and got them to stamp a sealed envelope.
see also : poor man's copyright
iMADEtheBBC is offline  
16-05-2012, 21:18   #14
Feeling Groovy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMADEtheBBC View Post
see also : poor man's copyright
Doesnt matter what you call it, it will stand up in court. Ive done enough law modules to have experienced it and to know about it. The cost of running a band in this current 'scene' is hard enough without having to worry about forking over hundreads. If we went running to 'professionals' for every problem we came across this industry would never see most of the music it produces come to fruition and more often than not you can do twice as good for free what a professional can charge you hundreds for.
Feeling Groovy is offline  
17-05-2012, 19:25   #15
Chazz Michael Michaels
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMADEtheBBC View Post
I wish this was in the FAQ here because I see 'poor man's copyright' referred to frequently and it is simply not correct.


http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man%27s_copyright

http://www.mntechlaw.com/copyright.html
Who cares about US law? Why would an Irish forum FAQ refer to US law?

IMRO recommends this method.
Chazz Michael Michaels is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet