Esso silly air charge at Palmestown, Dublin - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-04-2012, 18:26   #1
samih

Esso silly air charge at Palmestown, Dublin

Went to Esso in Palmerstown and filled up 64 liters at princely sum of €106. I was a bit low on air and thought that 1.1 cpl over the unbranded station next door would buy me some air but apparently not so.

€1 to inflate the tyres, IMHO, on top of the 70c premium is not on.

PS. Guy at the till was very pleasant. Props for him, but negative feedback to the owner.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 20:24   #2
foggy_lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by samih View Post
Went to Esso in Palmerstown and filled up 64 liters at princely sum of €106. I was a bit low on air and thought that 1.1 cpl over the unbranded station next door would buy me some air but apparently not so.

PS. Guy at the till was very pleasant. Props for him, but negative feedback to the owner.
Why did you not go to the unbranded much cheaper place next door who probably give theri compressed air for free?
01-05-2012, 07:47   #3
ScouseMouse
Superscouse unLTD

Quote:

So you went to the big fancy ESSO with the "on the run" cafe, and the fancy shop and multiple staff and paid an extra 1 cent per litre. Everything in it is superduper and well looked after.

The little unbranded station next to it is a one man show. They are friendly and polite but no way do they have the facilities of the big one up the road. They can only compete on price.

You can have big and fancy if you like - but someone has to pay for it. In other words YOU !
01-05-2012, 08:03   #4
inforfun

Same with the Esso on Navan road when coming from Dublin City Centre.
I sooner drive on my rims than i am going to pay for air.
The Esso on Navan road direction Dublin City centre is still free though.

I can fully understand they have a system in place like with shopping trolleys, so people dont throw that hose any place they like.
But paying for air...
01-05-2012, 09:35   #5
borderlinemeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by inforfun View Post
But paying for air...
Compressed air. Somebody has to pay to compress it, pay for the upkeep of machinery. Unfortunately if overheads are high the cost is passed on to the consumer.

First time I ever remember having to pay for air was about 4 years ago, in Northern Ireland IIRC. I had a long journey from Donegal to Dublin and pulled in somewhere in Omagh and had to pay 20p for the use of the air.

It irks me, but having worked in retail I can see where they're coming from. If something costs money and needs to be maintained, surely there will be a charge for the service.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 10:53   #6
samih

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy_lad View Post
Why did you not go to the unbranded much cheaper place next door who probably give theri compressed air for free?
Not so, they have no compressed air whatsoever and this seems to getting to be the norm now.

I understand that it costs a bit to provide the service but €1 for air is a blatant rip off on top off the (moderate) price premium I paid. I'd have no problem paying 20ish c which I reckon the air really costs the station. And what is the existence of the shop to do with this particular case? I'm sure they don't need to subsidise it with the extra cpls but vice versa the shop is actually there to boost profits.

PS. Ended up using emergency pump I had forgotten in the boot on Sunday so it was not all doom and gloom ;-)
01-05-2012, 12:21   #7
lala88
Banned

Quote:
Not so, they have no compressed air whatsoever and this seems to getting to be the norm now.

I understand that it costs a bit to provide the service but €1 for air is a blatant rip off on top off the (moderate) price premium I paid. I'd have no problem paying 20ish c which I reckon the air really costs the station. And what is the existence of the shop to do with this particular case? I'm sure they don't need to subsidise it with the extra cpls but vice versa the shop is actually there to boost profits.

PS. Ended up using emergency pump I had forgotten in the boot on Sunday so it was not all doom and gloom ;-)
If it cost 20c you'd still be on hear saying its a rip off saying its should be less because theres no way it costs the station that much
01-05-2012, 12:39   #8
samih

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala88 View Post
If it cost 20c you'd still be on hear saying its a rip off saying its should be less because theres no way it costs the station that much
No I wouldn't.
01-05-2012, 12:46   #9
Daniogroove

It should be one of those services they provide without cost to you. They should do it to benefit their own business and customer satisfaction. Fair enough, maybe you need to buy fuel first but after spending over 100 euro and then been asked to pay for air? That's a bit Irish!
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 13:23   #10
Oryx
Soloist

Send a message via MSN to Oryx
A lot of places dont have compressors now, to pump your tyres. Those that do are often broken (around here anyway), which is a cost to the business to repair equipment. I think a footpump is the way to go cos for me anyway, using a garage usually involves a drive around town to find a pump thats working.

A euro sounds like a lot alright, tho. Suppose its just a handy figure, and if you need it, youll shell out that as simply as 20c.
01-05-2012, 13:58   #11
lala88
Banned

Quote:
No I wouldn't.
Sure you wouldnt....
01-05-2012, 17:12   #12
Nedser101

Esso long mile road , there yesterday 1fxxxxxxcking euro for air next thing you know the government will be charging for water,,!
Thanks from:
01-05-2012, 17:14   #13
MickySticks
Banned

More fool the people that pay for it!
01-05-2012, 22:02   #14
Stinicker

I know many stations keep the attachment in the shop or kiosk to stop scummers stealing it but charging for air is just typical of the sort of crap that sees me boycott a business.

These clowns may know the cost of everything but know the true value of nothing. Quite frankly I hope the station involved goes bust and the owner left high and dry as such absolute stinge bags don't deserve one brown cent of business from the public.
01-05-2012, 23:12   #15
lala88
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinicker View Post
I know many stations keep the attachment in the shop or kiosk to stop scummers stealing it but charging for air is just typical of the sort of crap that sees me boycott a business.

These clowns may know the cost of everything but know the true value of nothing. Quite frankly I hope the station involved goes bust and the owner left high and dry as such absolute stinge bags don't deserve one brown cent of business from the public.
And people wonder why businesses go under.....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion