Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Canadian Govt not issuing separate visas for construction workers?

Options
  • 30-04-2012 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

When all the publicity was taking place a few months ago about Canada needing so many construction workers we were led to believe that they were a 'special' or 'separate' group and I know, I for one, took it for granted that they would receive visas issued outside the IEC programme.

I was very annoyed recently to hear a spokesperson from the Canadian authorities advising young electricians, plumbers etc. to apply under the IEC scheme and a.s.a.p.

This meant that the 5,250 visas would disappear much quicker than last year. We are now at 30th April and there are only approx. 1,000 visas left.

This is totally unacceptable and unfair. Why don't the Canadian Embassy issue separate visas for the construction workers or extend the number on the IEC scheme to cater for them also?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

how is it unfair and unacceptable? why the hell should the canadian government pander to you or any irish person for that matter? they have a set amount of visas on the IEC scheme and that's that. there ARE other schemes too you know

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mrs. Doyle

Helix wrote: »
    how is it unfair and unacceptable? why the hell should the canadian government pander to you or any irish person for that matter? they have a set amount of visas on the IEC scheme and that's that. there ARE other schemes too you know

They are not pandering to me or any Irish person in granting these permits. They are holiday work permits and advertised as

'Make your working holiday dream a reality! International Experience Canada gives you the information you need to Travel and Work in Canada for up to one year'.

The publicity recently about Canada wanting so many construction workers from Ireland is the exact reason why there should be other schemes and not use up the few available on the IEC scheme. Their spokesperson should be able to tell people about these other schemes and not advise the use of the IEC scheme.

It is unfair to the young people wanting to go on the IEC scheme that these permits will most likely run out by the end of May and not become available again until next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

there are other schemes though. they're available to those who put in a little research, and they're not holiday work visas

Helix wrote: »
    they're not holiday work visas

Taken from the IEC website:

Make your working holiday dream a reality! International Experience Canada gives you the information you need to Travel and Work in Canada for up to one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

No hes saying the other schemes arent working holidays. they're perminint visas.

I think you're right that they shouldn't be applying through the IEC scheme. you should be applying through the skilled worker scheme.

Considering it took them untill August last year to go through 5000 and now they've gone through 4350 by April I'd say the issue is due to the influx in construction workers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Can construction workers be sponsored by employers to stay after the year visa.

I think you're right that they shouldn't be applying through the IEC scheme. you should be applying through the skilled worker scheme.

Considering it took them untill August last year to go through 5000 and now they've gone through 4350 by April I'd say the issue is due to the influx in construction workers.

Which was my exact original point. If the Canadian Government are trying to get 80,000 workers to go to Canada to work then their spokesperson should be advising them of a more permanent work visa to apply for and not recommending the IEC for the reasons already stated above.
    Zambia wrote: »

AFAIK they can apply for an LMO but it can be hard enough to get, I understand, and it can cost the employer in some situations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Mrs. Doyle wrote: »
    Which was my exact original point. If the Canadian Government are trying to get 80,000 workers to go to Canada to work then their spokesperson should be advising them of a more permanent work visa to apply for and not recommending the IEC for the reasons already stated above.

The last thing you need is construction workers hanging around after you need them - Don't expect Canada to be different to anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Mrs. Doyle wrote: »

AFAIK they can apply for an LMO but it can be hard enough to get, I understand, and it can cost the employer in some situations.

If there is a genuine shortage in the sector a LMO should be easy enough to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Construction worker is very general! An LMO (labour market opinion) can be obtained by an employer if there is a demand for the worker in a specific field of work. There is severeral criteria which have to be met and alot of paper work on the employers side of things. I think the main thing is proving they couldn't find a Canadian to fill the position.

So yes it is possible. But not easy to find an employer that will bother, unless there is a strong demand. Also bare in mind it could take months for an LMO to be issued due to the processing time. There's few jobs/employers in construction with the foresight to employ from abroad for jobs several months down the line.

That is my opinion anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

http://www.cicnews.com/2012/04/skilled-trades-program-announced-federal-skilled-workers-041502.html

A visa is going to be available in the near future for skilled trades. This should ease the burden on IEC visa a little bit.

Advertisement