Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-04-2012, 21:23   #1
CianRyan

Halfords axle stands and trolly jack.

Seems a bit silly starting a thread on something that can be answered in a single post but well, seems like a good way to make sure.

I was looking at the above in Halfords the other day, the prices seem good at a 3 piece set for €49.99 and a 7 piece kit for €74.99 but being halfods I am a bit worried about the quality of the product, it claims the lift is rated at 2/2.5 tonnes and my car is only about ~1 but I'd still worry.

So, has anyone else used or bought one of these?
As long as they're safe I'm happy, I just don't want my car falling on my face.

kit 1
Kit 2
Pricier kit 3

Thank ya!
Advertisement
28-04-2012, 21:28   #2
RoverJames
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CianRyan View Post
Pricier kit 3

Thank ya!

I bought the jack and stands from that kit individually about 7 or 8 years ago, I'd use them a few times a year. I have found them perfect.

Never get under a car when it's supported by a jack though, use stands all the time but I'm still very wary of getting under a car that's supported by stands, dunno, it seems intuitive to be concerned.
Thanks from:
28-04-2012, 21:34   #3
CianRyan

7 or 8 years seems like a good testament to quality in my opinion, looks like a plan!

And yes, I didn't mean I'd be using the jack with out the stands, cheers for letting me know anyway.
Thanks from:
28-04-2012, 21:37   #4
challengemaster

They're great quality kit Cian, don't worry about it being halfrauds.

I've used the jack and axle stands regularly over the last few months, and there's not even a chip on the paint.
(3) thanks from:
28-04-2012, 21:38   #5
Nissan doctor
Closed Account

I've a halfords jack and stands at home for the last few years and they've been grand..no issues.

I got the orange ones in your third link.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-04-2012, 21:40   #6
RoverJames
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CianRyan View Post

And yes, I didn't mean I'd be using the jack with out the stands, cheers for letting me know anyway.
I'm a bit OTT on such things

I was living in Dublin when I bought them, so 'twas 2005 at the latest, I'd be surprised if I have the need to buy another 2 tonne jack tbh and the stands, having no moving parts except for the bolt yolks to lock the height wouldn't be prone to wearing.

The jack has comfortably lifted a ole W124 merc, an E34 BMW and the ZT I have by the jacking points that get either both front or back wheels off the ground. Ideal for most cars really.

Nice chatting to you Cian
Thanks from:
28-04-2012, 22:28   #7
Drummerboy08

I bought that set a few months back, got the jack and stands for 60 quid I think.

They've been used a few times and I've no problem with them.
(2) thanks from:
28-04-2012, 22:41   #8
Xenophile

Support your Local Motor Factor.

No matter what kind of jack your are using...............get a good piece or two pieces of tree trunk as an insurance policy if you are not also using axle stands.

(2) thanks from:
28-04-2012, 23:15   #9
CianRyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophile View Post

No matter what kind of jack your are using...............get a good piece or two pieces of tree trunk as an insurance policy if you are not also using axle stands.

[COLOR="Purple"]Support your Local Motor Factor[/COLOR].
Pretty intense but I do agree we should support local business and I do intend on using Tallaght Auto Parts when possible, maybe my own pocket decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverJames View Post
I'm a bit OTT on such things

I was living in Dublin when I bought them, so 'twas 2005 at the latest, I'd be surprised if I have the need to buy another 2 tonne jack tbh and the stands, having no moving parts except for the bolt yolks to lock the height wouldn't be prone to wearing.

The jack has comfortably lifted a ole W124 merc, an E34 BMW and the ZT I have by the jacking points that get either both front or back wheels off the ground. Ideal for most cars really.

Nice chatting to you Cian
Sounds like exactly what to look for, I guess there's some things that not even Halfords can skimp on.

Yeah, it's nice to have something we can agree on, it's good to talk with out letting things get heated. Haha
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-04-2012, 23:28   #10
unkel
Seņor Fring

Got that set (jack, stands, runner) about a year ago for about €55 iirc. Grand kit, but a bit pricey at €90!
Thanks from:
28-04-2012, 23:31   #11
Pottler
Closed Account

I've one of the fast lift trolley jacks Halfords do and its good - lifts heavy vans no prob. The Halfords 150 piece socket set(often reduced to just €124) is also a great bit of kit - I've 3 sets and they are very good and comprehensive.
Thanks from:
28-04-2012, 23:47   #12
Voodoomelon

Been using the same jack and 4 stands for a 1.9 tonne car for the last 4 years, all work great.

Even had the car suspended in the air on 4 stands at one point, tough pieces of kit.
Thanks from:
30-04-2012, 13:12   #13
dahamsta
Banned

Halfords tools are generally very good and I haven't seen the jacks in kits 1 and 2 in person so I could be talking out of my hat, but I bought one that looks identical to those from Aldi or Lidl last year and while it works, it's really pretty crap. It's slow to lift, and the handle is in two parts which fit together really badly. When it comes time to replace it, I'll shell out a few more quid for something more solid.
Thanks from:
30-04-2012, 13:18   #14
CianRyan

I think I've pretty much settled on the more expensive one, I'd rather pay a little bit more for a (hopeful) life time of peace of mind.
I'll have a look at the cheaper sets when I'm down again though, just out of curiosity.

Needing to buy all these tools is a pain on the pocket, just secured some wheels without rubber so they'll be sitting a wile before I get them on the car, need to save for the bloody lift and stands now.
30-04-2012, 13:21   #15
selfdiy

I got the kit 3 about 2 years ago.

The axel stands are very good.

The jack has no problem lifting just it doesn't lift very high compared to some other 2 ton jacks in the same price range.

The roller for rolling under with the car with was useless the wheels broke after a few uses.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion