How could Longford improve?? - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-01-2012, 21:25   #16
markbld65

parking

agree with a above poster on parking in the town its a joke i know it generates a lot of revenue for the council however i think 6 traffic wardens in a town the size of longford is ott

i do know it puts a lot of people off going to town and trying to get parking and pay for it then move to another area and have to pay again in a different zone althought the first ticket would have covered all their visit
Advertisement
02-04-2012, 21:37   #17
quickrack

Well I spoke to a friend who USED to have an active business in the town and had to close. Reason was the COUNCIL RATES.
If they were profit linked then it would be fair but she used a lot of space and was charged accordingly but footfall is slow as we all know and she had to choose between paying and hoping, or closing.
Not the only place either.
Anyone else ever hear 100% of nothing is ZERO?
What use is a Council that is that inflexible? Which is weird cos the town is generally well looked after.
The MALL is brilliant and I use it often. But closed businesses limit influx of spenders!
A section of small cheap premises with FIXED charges for a FEW years would also encourage those afraid to set up business under the current set-up???
The wee yard behind Luigi's and the Post Office springs to mind. What a waste they are.
Thanks from:
03-04-2012, 00:17   #18
garfieldsghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickrack View Post
Well I spoke to a friend who USED to have an active business in the town and had to close. Reason was the COUNCIL RATES.
If they were profit linked then it would be fair but she used a lot of space and was charged accordingly but footfall is slow as we all know and she had to choose between paying and hoping, or closing.
Not the only place either.
Anyone else ever hear 100% of nothing is ZERO?
What use is a Council that is that inflexible? Which is weird cos the town is generally well looked after.
The MALL is brilliant and I use it often. But closed businesses limit influx of spenders!
A section of small cheap premises with FIXED charges for a FEW years would also encourage those afraid to set up business under the current set-up???
The wee yard behind Luigi's and the Post Office springs to mind. What a waste they are.
Agreed, but isn't the yard behind the post office used for storing vehicles and for the loading/unloading of mail?
03-04-2012, 20:05   #19
quickrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldsghost View Post
Agreed, but isn't the yard behind the post office used for storing vehicles and for the loading/unloading of mail?
Not that one. If you turned in as if to go to Post Office Yard but took the left turn you will see the place I mean. Big paved yard inside a fenced area with about 20 garage type buildings.
Thanks from:
04-04-2012, 09:29   #20
_Lady_

Hey folks, seriously agree with the intentions of the OP in terms of the need to do something for Longford. What's the current status of the new Longford SC beside the cinema? It's such a fantastic building and would be a great boost to the town - are there just no interested tenants? Such a pity.

There are lots of great people in Longford and plenty of small specific retailers that are being choked by rates - anything - even a good sentiment or suggestion - has to be a step forward in the current environment. Even a minority of positive people could create some nice changes to boost people's attitudes towards the town.
Advertisement
04-04-2012, 10:08   #21
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lady_ View Post
Hey folks, seriously agree with the intentions of the OP in terms of the need to do something for Longford. What's the current status of the new Longford SC beside the cinema? It's such a fantastic building and would be a great boost to the town - are there just no interested tenants? Such a pity.

There are lots of great people in Longford and plenty of small specific retailers that are being choked by rates - anything - even a good sentiment or suggestion - has to be a step forward in the current environment. Even a minority of positive people could create some nice changes to boost people's attitudes towards the town.
A bit of a mad idea and not one that I could realistically see been taken up but... There are a load of shops in the town like the Manshop which probably don't do a lot of business because of their location and then there are other shops which aren't doing particularly well, just because of the current economy and the affect it has had on Longford in particular which had grown to rely on the construction sector for jobs both directly and indirectly, but how about giving these shops an option of opening a second shop at no extra rate or rates in the new shopping centre. The building is lying ideal anyway therefore the council is not going to be getting any rates from it but would continue to get rates from the original premises. The building itself is now owned by Nama therefore its just another empty property owned by the state.

I think if alot of the shops were under the one roof they'd all benefit as people checked out shops they'd never stepped in before. They could leave two or three units free for new businesses to start up with no rent or rates for six months. There would possible be alot of demand for just a few units but they could hold a lottery system for each unit every 6 months.

A bit of an off the wall idea which would take some joined up thinking by the likes of the Town council and NAMA but its better than having a building lying ideal which I expect it will unfortunately.

Last edited by JimmyR; 04-04-2012 at 10:10.
04-04-2012, 16:31   #22
lakill Farm

from working with the developer of the Longford SC it was hard to get an anchor tenant and because of that it was viable to open the SC. However at the time 18 months ago there was lots of interest in the smaller units but all is with NAMA now.
06-04-2012, 14:16   #23
quickrack

What a White Elephant that SC was. Who really thought that something that size was actually viable!!
And now the rest of us have to look at the big stupid yoke getting slowly more dilapidated. Has anyone looked across the road from the cinema lately???
Thats how the SC will look soon I reckon.
That wee market at the Axis center is similiar to an idea posted above.
22-04-2012, 15:20   #24
truesmiles
Banned

Open the Longford Town Centre! And also make the cinema 3D! Does anybody know where Iceland is going to be?
Advertisement
22-04-2012, 16:48   #25
messrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesmiles View Post
Open the Longford Town Centre! And also make the cinema 3D! Does anybody know where Iceland is going to be?
Is there def an iceland coming to longford?
22-04-2012, 17:43   #26
garfieldsghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by messrs View Post
Is there def an iceland coming to longford?
Iceland confirmed it some time back, but I haven't heard anything else about it, except that they're planning on having two stores in the town (I'm guessing a supermarket and some kind of convenience store).
23-04-2012, 23:57   #27
gingernut79

Anyone else itching to go to this http://longfordexpo.com/ just to have a nose around the shopping centre? Hope something good comes of it!
24-04-2012, 00:43   #28
garfieldsghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingernut79 View Post
Anyone else itching to go to this http://longfordexpo.com/ just to have a nose around the shopping centre? Hope something good comes of it!
I'd love to have a look around it, but unfortunately I'm away that weekend.
26-04-2012, 22:41   #29
kerash

Great for a nose around I guess, might pop by.

(note: All exhibitors must provide own extinguishers!)

Friday 25th May - 1pm - 6pm Expo open to Public and Attendees

Saturday 26th May 12pm - 6pm Expo open to Public and Attendees
31-08-2012, 22:31   #30
Misty Midlands

Iceland

Are Iceland still coming to Longford? I would love Marks & Spencer to come but I suppose that is wishful thinking!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion