Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-04-2012, 09:50   #1
OldGoat
Registered goat

No smoking in the Park

The Minster of Health has a new preposal - to ban smoking on the beachs and in public parks.
Source
So now I can't have a pipe during a walk in the woods, waiting for sunrise atop a mountain or while on the beach doing a bit of nightfishing.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-04-2012, 10:00   #2
BeerNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
So now
No; possibly following review by the government and a legislative process voted on by your representatives. Then, maybe, you might not be allowed to, depending on which woods, mountains or beaches you mean.
23-04-2012, 10:03   #3
Pappa Dolla

In New York they're trying to ban it in apartment blocks. Absolutely ridiculous
23-04-2012, 10:14   #4
OldGoat
Registered goat

My argument with this is that they are claiming protection of children by removing smoking from public view. Imaging if there were somewhere that only adults could go, somewhere off the roadside, behind closed doors that you can't get into unless you are over 18 - somewhere like a pub perhaps.
If some pubs had a smoking licence then smokers would be a lot less visible in the public eye. (We can argue the rights of the staff later if my argument is acceptable in principle)

Seems to me that smoking is a lot more visual these days as people crowd the pavements and block the enterences to almost every building. According to their own figures the Ban has shown no fall in smokers numbers but it has made us appear in public view much more frequently - thus putting the youngsters at risk of being lured into our smoking lifestyle.

A step back from their current stance rather then reinforcing it would make the smokers happier and reduce risk to children being drawn into our unhealthy ways.
(2) thanks from:
23-04-2012, 11:02   #5
BeerNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
If some pubs had a smoking licence
Eww, no thanks. I remember when pubs used to have smoking licences and every pub held one. It made them less pleasant places to be.

I'm fussy about the beer I drink. I don't necessarily want to drink what the customer next to me is having and I wouldn't go to a pub where spillover from other people's drinks were forced on me.

Same goes for the tobacco I smoke.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-04-2012, 11:09   #6
tinyk68

I'm not a smoker and I'm glad smoking is banned indoors. It's much nicer going out now and not coming home reeking of other people's smoke.

However, I think this latest move to ban smoking in public areas is ridiculous. How do they propose to police this one. Are they going to have wardens of some sort on every beach, and in every park and forest in the country? It smacks of nanny state mentality and makes no sense whatever.
23-04-2012, 11:23   #7
BeerNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyk68 View Post
It smacks of nanny state mentality and makes no sense whatever.
If your aim is to stop everyone from smoking without actually banning it outright, it makes perfect sense. I saw a spokesperson saying that they were trying to achieve the "denormalisation" of smoking. Banning it in public places is the next obvious step.

Quote:
How do they propose to police this one
At a guess, the same way they police littering, public drunkenness or skateboarding: an official is in charge of the area, and they can escalate problems to the local Gardaí if necessary.
23-04-2012, 11:32   #8
pawrick

Sounds like they are trying to get people riled up about this as a diversion. I wonder why?!

As someone who doesn't like smoking I think it's creating a law to be broken. As said by the poster above it might be a step to an outright ban, which is something I would not be against but I don't think the population is any where ready for that.
25-04-2012, 01:17   #9
DEFTLEFTHAND

Ahh the god dam health freaks are back with their hard ons for recreating the mighty fascists regimes of the 20th century.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-04-2012, 02:32   #10
Merch
Closed Account

As a non smoker, Im glad there are smoke free places like pubs but particularily places selling food,
I also think its bloody disgusting when i come across fag butts out and about.
And I know its unhealthy and fcukin hate people smoking at entrances where I have to get past and have to inhale their smoke or if its a cram as some biatch did (burn my jacket, ok it was accidental, but it ruined a perfect jacket)

however

While I am happy there are pubs that were smoking isn't allowed, I dont frequent pubs that much anymore anyway and I dont think the kind of health nuts that are trying to implement this do either?
I dont see why smokers cant have a drink and a smoke if they want in at least some places, plus I was never fully in support of the police/nanny state mentality of implementation or the general attitude of it.
So some aul lad out fishing cant puff away on his pipe?
what next? no motorbikes, too dangerous?
not allowed drive full stop? people die from the above too, I'm sure there's load of other things,
All in all, if smoking disappeared due to lack of interest, I wouldn't be bothered,
currently all I ask is dont block an entrance to a shop and make me breath in second hand smoke and please (my pet hate) dont litter butts everywhere (which I have seen on plenty of occasions, people tipping out ash trays of butts from their cars or even just the odd flicking)

As for the police state shyte, not happy about that.
25-04-2012, 09:50   #11
BeerNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch View Post
I dont see why smokers cant have a drink and a smoke if they want in at least some places
Two reasons: 1. It's not fair on the people who work there; 2. "some places" in the past has meant "everywhere" -- pubs had the option of dividing themselves into smoking and non-smoking before the ban and not a single one of them chose to.
Thanks from:
25-04-2012, 18:26   #12
Merch
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNut View Post
Two reasons: 1. It's not fair on the people who work there; 2. "some places" in the past has meant "everywhere" -- pubs had the option of dividing themselves into smoking and non-smoking before the ban and not a single one of them chose to.
thats fair enough, particularily the first part.
and as far as I have experienced the members of the vintners association weren't/aren't very adaptable/open to change either.
Mostly I disliked the nanny state like attitude of telling/if not how they told people it would be implemented.
03-05-2012, 03:10   #13
Procrastastudy
Closed Account

I am vehemently anti-smoking. (I know Hai! ) but this is just stupid. Firstly if smokers could figure out their litter IS ACTUALLY LITTER - the world would be a much cleaner place. Cig butts everywhere at the beach is one example. If they could actually figure out that in a crowd lighting up is just plain rude but I digress on a rant...

Banning it in a Park is just plain idiotic for the obvious reasons and that it's going to mean more kids take up smoking. At the moment its cool and taboo enough banning it in public is just going to make more kids try it rather than stop them. Hiding something never works education does.
03-05-2012, 09:27   #14
BeerNut

Quote:
I'm not a smoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawrick View Post
As someone who doesn't like smoking
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDLawstudent View Post
I am vehemently anti-smoking.
I think this thread is attracting the wrong sort to our forum
03-05-2012, 09:33   #15
OldGoat
Registered goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDLawstudent View Post
...but I digress on a rant...
Please - Read the charter. We KNOW already. We don't need to be told again. Pointing out our shortcomings is not news to us. This forum exists so that we don't have to be ranted against.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion