Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #69

Options
  • 23-04-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

It's good to see plenty of votes being cast for the Album of the Week. Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote.

Here's the breakdown of the votes. Only albums with more than one vote are listed.
    Band|Album|Votes
    Metallica|Master of Puppets|7
    Dream Theater|Awake|3
    Misery Index|Traitors|3
    Motley Crue|Dr. Feelgood|2

So there you have it. Master of Puppets wins by a clear margin. Here's my favourite song off the album:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Boo-urns!

But yeah, despite my not liking Metallica, I am surprised this wasn't on the list before now. Deserving winner I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Pfft, always preferred Ride The Lightning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Bastard of Muppets a deserving winner, Traitors is a great album too, though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Voted awake but can't complain about MOP winning. Great album and one of the first metal albums I owned.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

So what are people's favourite/least favourite songs off the album? I'm not really sure why but Battery and Damage Inc have never really clicked with me. As for favourites, I do love the title track and, as mentioned above, Sanitarium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Never really got into the second half of the album at all... should really have another go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Malice wrote: »
    So what are people's favourite/least favourite songs off the album? I'm not really sure why but Battery and Damage Inc have never really clicked with me. As for favourites, I do love the title track and, as mentioned above, Sanitarium.

Favourite song off MOP is The Thing That Should Not Be. Love the intro riff. Least favourite is Disposable Heroes - doesn't seem to go anywhere.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Never got the whole MOP thing.
    Ride the lightening is a much better album IMO.
    My personal fav is And Justice, great , great album, guitar and drums are amazing on it.

Not a Motley Crue fan in the slightest but Dr. Feelgood is a good album.

sham69 wrote: »
    Never got the whole MOP thing.
    Ride the lightening is a much better album IMO.
    My personal fav is And Justice, great , great album, guitar and drums are amazing on it.

Not a Motley Crue fan in the slightest but Dr. Feelgood is a good album.

The drums on AJFA are horrible. Sounds like Lars is hitting a cardboard box

The drums on AJFA are horrible. Sounds like Lars is hitting a cardboard box
    Not just a cardboard box but a wet cardboard box for that squelchy sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Favourite song off MOP is The Thing That Should Not Be. Love the intro riff. Least favourite is Disposable Heroes - doesn't seem to go anywhere.....?

For shame. Thats probably my favourite song on the album. Least favourite being Orion. Never got the hype with that song.

Master and Sanitarium are two absolute classics, but Ive become desensitized to them after so many times. Leper Messiah is hugely underrated.

I'll never forget Damage Inc in the RDS in 06. As the slow build up came to an end i noticed my girlfriend at the time standing in the middle of a clearing in the crowd, oblivious to what was gonna happen next. Only got her out of the way as the song kicked into gear.

Orion is brilliant. Cliff's moment in the spotlight. Leper Messiah is awesome too. I was at that gig in 06 too. Was a lot further back than the pit, but it was still an awesome gig. I lost my voice singing the MOP stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Orion is brilliant, but I prefer the Call of Ktulu when it comes to Metallica's instrumentals

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Leper Messiah and Orion are my 2 favourite Metallica tracks of all time. Leper Messiah is vastly underrated. I'm more of a music guy than a lyrics guy but i love the lyrics to LM and what they represent(and the tune obv.).

On the opposite side you've got Orion,an instrumental that starts slow but winds up in something amazing. I go into an almost trance like state listening to that tune.

Tbh i can't find a weak track on MOP. I do like Damage Inc. even though it's not everyones cup of tea. The album was a natural evolution of the sound they developed on RTL. I'll resist the urge to go off on one on how much i love this album. I've even had it recently immortalised on my arm in a graphic though not literal representation of the album cover. Crappy phone pic below.

IMAG0196.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Even if its not Metallica's best, MOP is a deserving addition to the list. I always loved Battery as a hard hitting Metallica song. My first proper gig was Metallica in 03 when they opened with Battery. After the build up, the crowd went absolutely nuts and a seemingly never-ending (in terms of size) mosh pit broke out. There have been better concerts since, but not knowing quite what to expect and then experiencing that, Battery live is one of my favourite gig moments. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I always liked the sound especially the kick drum.
    Being a guitarist myself I don't know much about drums but just liked the sound for some reason.
    My first metallica gig was 89 I think in the top hat with Danzig in support.
    Great gig..

Had a listen to MOP today for the first time in ages, i can see why people love it so much, battery my favourite song I think.
    I have gone to the dark side recently and am listening to a lot of Megadeth and loving it..

sham69 wrote: »
    I always liked the sound especially the kick drum.
    Being a guitarist myself I don't know much about drums but just liked the sound for some reason.
    Fair enough, each to their own. I've really grown to dislike the sound of the album to be honest. The scooped mids from the guitar sound, the complete absence of bass and the squelchy drums just irritate me whenever the songs come up on random play for me. Having said that, the And Justice for Jason album that's doing the rounds online is worth a listen if only to hear a step in the right direction of how the album should have sounded.
    lord lucan wrote:
    i love the lyrics to LM and what they represent
    I agree there. In general I pay little or no attention to lyrics but I've often seen news reports from Iran/Iraq/Afghanistan etc. or read books on World War 1 and when I see the waste of lives I often recall the lyrics to Disposable Heroes:
    Soldier boy, made of clay
    Now an empty shell
    Twenty one, only son
    but he served us well
    Bred to kill, not to care
    Do just as we say
    Finished here, Greeting Death
    He's yours to take away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

I actually possibly like the title track the least, but that might be down to how overplayed it is. Welcome Home and Battery are great songs (the intro for Battery in particular is one of my all time favs). This album also has Orion on it, one of the best instrumentals ever imo.

Cill94 wrote: »
    I actually possibly like the title track the least, but that might be down to how overplayed it is. Welcome Home and Battery are great songs (the intro for Battery in particular is one of my all time favs). This album also has Orion on it, one of the best instrumentals ever imo.

First time I heard "Battery" I thought "Ah this is nice"(the intro), then my bloody speakers almost exploded. Insane song imo.

Has anyone heard Machine Head's version of it? Pretty damn good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

TBF to Lars on AJFA he basically redefined the bass drum sound that a lot of metal bands are still imitating to this day (and it's also a million times better than the quality street tin from St.Anger). Also his performance on it was top notch. My main problem with that album is the lack of bass. I've listened to the bass enhanced version and it's a much heavier album.

MOP on the other hand is a brilliant all round album, except for one thing. I cannot stand the title track. It's plodding and goes no where, so to me Battery is probably the stand out track on the album followed by Disposable Heroes. The riff in that is quality and is probably one of their best.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    TBF to Lars on AJFA he basically redefined the bass drum sound that a lot of metal bands are still imitating to this day
    Maybe I'm just happily missing out but if you can show me a modern metal band whose drums sound like what was recorded on Justice for All I will be very disappointed :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Maybe I'm just happily missing out but if you can show me a modern metal band whose drums sound like what was recorded on Justice for All I will be very disappointed :).

Ah no I just meant the bass drums haha, not the rest of them, though I do like the sound of the snare on the album!

The bass drums ironically enough were very treble-y (almost mechanical sounding).

For instance:

Then I hear this:

or this:

(imagine Vinnie Paul playing for Met instead)

Though I'm taking this off topic now.

Advertisement