Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-04-2012, 20:01   #16
Slydice
Registered User
 
Slydice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The administration place
Posts: 2,427
Isn't this what the election just about 1 year ago was about?
Slydice is offline  
Advertisement
21-04-2012, 21:45   #17
Cawk n bawllz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
We all know politicians lie and spin, yet punish the politicians we voted for, wait for it, for lying and spinning,
I totally agree with you. Our system of electing leaders has huge fundamental problems.
The elections are just a popularity contest. People vote for the yes man who can shout the loudest.
The people best suited to deal with this country's problems are realists but being a realist makes your views look pessimistic and nobody's going to vote for pessimists.
Politicians don't do what's best for this country. They do what makes them look good while doing long term harm to the country.
Cawk n bawllz is offline  
Thanks from:
22-04-2012, 00:19   #18
Godge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dublin 15, 200ft asl
Posts: 5,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawk n bawllz View Post
Seriously. How feasable would it be? We get a group of intelligent men and women together to manage our country as our new government, starting ASAP.
In the meantime we just completely boycott anything our current government says or does and direct all our taxes and revenue to our newly appointed government.
It's so far fetched that it's silly but lets discuss it anyway.
It is so far-fetched that anyone seriously discussing it should be taken away by the men in white coats.
Godge is offline  
22-04-2012, 12:39   #19
The Waltzing Consumer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy0090 View Post
Stating that FG/Lab haven't delivered on promises is perfectly correct!
It's not correct at all

Please show me their election manifesto where they "promised x, y and z when they entered a COALITION".

If you cannot show me that, then please be quiet. It is simply 100% wrong to look at single-party Government manifestos and compare it to a coalition.

The people rejected both single party manifestos and gave a mandate for a coalition, meaning a compromise

Seriously, I don't like many of the policies but it is simply daft to be still ranting on about election manifestos, no party campaigns on promises based in the eventuality of being in a coalition.
The Waltzing Consumer is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-04-2012, 18:59   #20
mbur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cork
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waltzing Consumer View Post
It's not correct at all

Please show me their election manifesto where they "promised x, y and z when they entered a COALITION".

If you cannot show me that, then please be quiet. It is simply 100% wrong to look at single-party Government manifestos and compare it to a coalition.

The people rejected both single party manifestos and gave a mandate for a coalition, meaning a compromise

Seriously, I don't like many of the policies but it is simply daft to be still ranting on about election manifestos, no party campaigns on promises based in the eventuality of being in a coalition.
Are you saying we were not mislead? Not a penny more I say. Quick, out with the smoke screen.
mbur is offline  
Advertisement
23-04-2012, 00:29   #21
meglome
Registered User
 
meglome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Ah jaysus, i'm all over the place
Posts: 7,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbur View Post
Are you saying we were not mislead? Not a penny more I say. Quick, out with the smoke screen.
So you've got one statement there, which personally I didn't think they'd be able to do since the previous government had signed on the dotted line. Notwithstanding this would have saved us several billion, it's still a small part of what we owe.
meglome is offline  
23-04-2012, 13:03   #22
edanto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawk n bawllz View Post
We get a group of intelligent men and women together to manage our country as our new government, starting ASAP.
I wish you luck. If you can actually get a group of people together that care about politics, and find a way for them to work together on something political... you might be able to get a few candidates elected in the next election. And if you go for that, then seriously, I wish you the best of luck and hope you succeed.

But there is no easy way.
edanto is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet