Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-03-2010, 23:25   #1
JerryHandbag
Closed Account

Talk Talk / Mark Hollis

Any fans here??

Got into them a few years ago, bought their albums in chronological order and was amazed at how they made the transition from what was basically a Duran Duran style synthpop sound, to an experimental sound that was said to have influenced the whole post-rock movement.

Spirit of Eden is a superb record.

And lead singer Mark Hollis one and only solo album is also a thing of beauty.
Advertisement
21-03-2010, 22:18   #2
loyatemu

they certainly took an odd career path - their last couple of albums have been quite influential on post-rock and electronica. Even their synth-pop stuff was pretty good though.
21-03-2010, 22:58   #3
pappyodaniel

I'm only aware of their hits like Life's what you make it and It's my life

Would they be worth getting into?
21-03-2010, 23:02   #4
mike65
Closed Account

Saddest voice on the planet! Talk Talk is well worth the time and trouble to get to know and there are only 5 albums to get to grips with.
22-03-2010, 22:18   #5
JerryHandbag
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyodaniel View Post
I'm only aware of their hits like Life's what you make it and It's my life

Would they be worth getting into?
I think so yes, altough their later stuff isn't for everyone, certainly not chart bothering material!! I just admire the way they changed their sound so much from album 1 to album 5
Advertisement
25-03-2010, 20:02   #6
Dizraeligears

Laughing Stock is great too
26-03-2010, 18:28   #7
BurnsCarpenter

Great band.

Probably my favourite song of theirs, wasn't on any studio album:

(2) thanks from:
03-04-2010, 16:28   #8
ojwhite

Send a message via MSN to ojwhite

Yes, Talk Talk are absolutely incredible. Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock would probably have to rate in the top ten albums I've ever heard. Mark Hollis isn't bad. I actually prefer the Talk Talk record before Spirit - The Colour Of Spring.

Delighted to see there are fans on this forum.
07-04-2010, 20:22   #9
Dazd_N_Confusd

I remember listening to the whole of Laughing Stock on Youtube and was so impressed (rare for me to be so impressed on first listen) I bought it the next day.

Spirit Of Eden is very good too. I'm interested in getting their earlier material, even if it's markedly different.

Not to mention this class tune!

Advertisement
13-04-2012, 21:22   #10
thegreengoblin

Thought I'd bump this. It's a good time to be a Talk Talk fan. The Colour of Spring and Spirit of Eden are being re-released on vinyl/dvd packages next week and there is also a special tribute album and book set for release next month. Although the full list of artists covering their songs has yet to be announced, there is a website set up which gives us a few hints of what's coming... http://spiritoftalktalk.com/

There's also lots of great stuff about them on the Talk Talk & Mark Hollis Facebook page.

Having been intrigued by the band through the late 80s, I bought Laughing Stock on tape in 1991 and I haven't looked back since. Their music is joyful and spellbinding. For those who haven't discovered Talk Talk yet I urge you to do so right now!
(2) thanks from:
14-04-2012, 02:20   #11
Scubadevils
Did I dream, you dreamed about me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreengoblin View Post
Thought I'd bump this. It's a good time to be a Talk Talk fan. The Colour of Spring and Spirit of Eden are being re-released on vinyl/dvd packages next week and there is also a special tribute album and book set for release next month. Although the full list of artists covering their songs has yet to be announced, there is a website set up which gives us a few hints of what's coming... http://spiritoftalktalk.com/

There's also lots of great stuff about them on the Talk Talk & Mark Hollis Facebook page.

Having been intrigued by the band through the late 80s, I bought Laughing Stock on tape in 1991 and I haven't looked back since. Their music is joyful and spellbinding. For those who haven't discovered Talk Talk yet I urge you to do so right now!
Only own these on CD at the moment but look forward to picking up the vinyl reissues, quality albums.
14-04-2012, 21:18   #12
cranks

Colour of Spring & Spirt of Eden - both sublime albums.

Their drummer Lee Harris is featured on Bark Psychosis' Codename: Dustsucker album. Another great album that really made me appreciate all the more Harris' contribution to these 2 Talk Talk albums. If you're into this era Talk Talk do check out this BP album.

16-04-2012, 21:51   #13
SilverScreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
Colour of Spring & Spirt of Eden - both sublime albums.

Their drummer Lee Harris is featured on Bark Psychosis' Codename: Dustsucker album. Another great album that really made me appreciate all the more Harris' contribution to these 2 Talk Talk albums. If you're into this era Talk Talk do check out this BP album.

Spirit Of Eden, Laughing Stock and Colour Of Spring are amazing albums. The production and sparseness of the music is captivating and keeps you coming back for more and more. They sounded like a very original and unique band during their later period.

Bark Psychosis were a great band. I prefer their debut album Hex though, the whole late night ambience that the album provokes is amazing and very reminiscent of the last two Talk Talk albums. Also their Game Over compilation which collects some of their non-album material is well worth checking out.

Last edited by SilverScreen; 16-04-2012 at 21:54.
Thanks from:
11-07-2012, 17:56   #14
AhrSkidar

Seem best to post to this thread rather than start a new one.

If you like Talk Talk and have a nice coffee table this could be the book for it: http://spiritoftalktalk.com/

I've no involvement in the book, other than just ordering one. Not out til September so hopefully they'll remember me then.
11-07-2012, 18:14   #15
woof im a dog

i still dont know what to make of talk talk, its taking awhile to get my head around spirit of eden

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion