Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aviva Ignition Test

Options
  • 11-04-2012 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

I'm doing this next week, might as well take advantage of the possibility of cheaper insurance, better for that extra money to be in my pocket than someone else's I reckon:D!

I know there was a thread over a year ago about this and I certainly wasn't going to reserrect that, but I was wondering has anyone done this recently and if it is easy, hard or otherwise?

I presume it is similar to the official driving test, or are they a bit more sane on things like downshifting through the gears to come to a stop etc?

Will they penalise you for doing say 60 in a 50 zone even though the rest of the traffic is doing at least 70 or 80 - the Quincentenary Bridge in Galway springs to mind here in that it has a ridiculously low limit of 50 kph and people travel on it at 70 minimum (I've done 60 on it before and been overtaken by Gards because that was too slow :D) and I normally go at 70-80 when conditions permit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'd definitely keep to the speed limits anyway.

When I did it they were big on hazard recognition and avoidance. Things like beeping your horn if you think a cyclist might come out in front of you etc. I'd still drive like the test, wouldn't be cruising around with the seat back and the tunes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I did it a few months ago and thought it was really easy. There are different pass levels and I got whatever the highest one is, can't actually remember what they're called now.

Anyway, mine only lasted about 20 minutes. It didn't include anything like turnabouts as in the driving test, I just drove where he told me to. I didn't realise you couldn't do it in your own car though so that threw me in the beginning, but how and ever.

I would stay within the speed limits, it is still a test.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What kind of discount did you get? I'm paying quite a bit over the odds with Aviva at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

they lower your premium but dunno how much exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

What kind of discount did you get? I'm paying quite a bit over the odds with Aviva at the min.

From the Aviva website
    http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/ignition/qualify/
    If so, then you could save between 20% - 40% off you car insurance, simply by passing a free one-hour safe driving assessment. That’s an average saving of €220.
    You must have a full driving licence, and must meet the conditions in either section below.
    If you passed your test in the last 5 years

You must have no convictions on your full licence, and meet any one of the following scenarios:
    • You have Aviva car insurance, have had no more than one ‘at fault’ accident in the last three years, and own a car with a maximum 1600cc engine.
    • You're the child or named driver of someone with Aviva private car insurance, have had no more than one ‘at fault' accident in the last three years with a claim of €6,500 or less, and own or are looking to buy a car with a maximum 1600cc engine in the next three months.
    • You don’t have Aviva private car insurance, have had no ‘at fault’ accidents and own a car with a maximum 1600cc engine
    • You're a named driver on another insurer's private motor policy, have had no ‘at fault’ accidents, and own or are looking to buy a car with a maximum 1600cc engine in the next three months
    If you passed your test more than 5 years ago

• You must have no previous insurance policy with Aviva
    • You must not be entitled to a no-claims bonus
    • You must have had no accidents
    • You must own a car with a maximum 1600cc engine

• Advertisement

I did it years ago, was nothing like the driving test, the lad who goes out with you is an advanced driving instructor. You'll be expected to stay within the speed limits but from my experience of it it was more of a coaching session than an actual test, after all, everyone on it has passed the test :)

It was about positioning of the car in the lane for cornering, looking for shadows etc by parked cars (early warning signs of someone walking out), even a bit about hypermiling techniques (emphasis on control rather than fuel saving admittedly).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I did this a few months ago, and found it very easy - easier than the actual driving test.

All the usual driving test rules apply, you still have to obey speed limits, make proper observation etc.

Unlike the driving test, however, there is no reverse around the corner or turnabout (3/5 point turn) manoeuvre. At the end of the test I was asked to reverse bay park into a specified space, whereas you can usually park in any space in the driving test (driving straight in, or reversing).

Also you get feedback at the end of the test (not so much with the real driving test). You find out your 'result' by email later that day or the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Sound everyone, at least it's a bit more realistic than the driving test anyway! Pity about the maximum engine size limit though - I'm not driving a sub 1.6 car for any longer than is necessary (that is to say as soon as I can afford to, I'll be going back to a > 1.6 litre car once again)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Wonder why they make you do it in their own cars and not yours :confused:

Wonder why they make you do it in their own cars and not yours :confused:

Yeah I noticed that, but any of the cars I've seen are new model Fiestas or Corsa, so I'm really hoping I will get a Fiesta, hopefully it will be as good to drive as people say it is!

• Advertisement

Did this today, the tester was sound, we were having a chat and all. Said I should be closer to the kerb when driving, but apart from that apparently I'm grand:)!

What was not so grand was the Corsa I had to drive - at least it wasn't a poverty spec 1.0 three cylinder, but it was my first diesel.

All I can say is that if it wasn't for the cost of fuel, I cannot understand why anyone would ever drive a diesel!

In my opinion not everything journalists write about petrol vs diesel is total nonsense, people who talk about petrols being 'better' because of the throttle response aren't wrong at all! I hated the throttle response, or rather the lack of it compared to a NA petrol - I hopped into my own car straight after driving the Ignition car and I noticed the diference instantly in terms of the throttle response. When it does eventually overcome the turbo lag (it seems to take an enternity compared to a petrol to respond to movements in the accelerator pedal), the take off is very impressive though! I also thought the engine felt very rough compared to a four cylinder petrol too, plus obviously it was noisier. There's absolutely no feedback through the steering wheel in this car either.

Lastly, am I the only one who thinks that the Corsa has the world's most annoying indicators? I think all the Opels have them horrible indicator stalks now, which are impossible to cancel! The Corsa is a nice little car apart from the engine, steering and indicators though!

...........I cannot understand why anyone would ever drive a diesel!..............

Drive a decent one and come back to us :)
    An entry level petrol Corsa would be no better than the yoke you drove today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Did this today, the tester was sound, we were having a chat and all. Said I should be closer to the kerb when driving, but apart from that apparently I'm grand:)!

What was not so grand was the Corsa I had to drive - at least it wasn't a poverty spec 1.0 three cylinder, but it was my first diesel.

All I can say is that if it wasn't for the cost of fuel, I cannot understand why anyone would ever drive a diesel!

In my opinion not everything journalists write about petrol vs diesel is total nonsense, people who talk about petrols being 'better' because of the throttle response aren't wrong at all! I hated the throttle response, or rather the lack of it compared to a NA petrol - I hopped into my own car straight after driving the Ignition car and I noticed the diference instantly in terms of the throttle response. When it does eventually overcome the turbo lag (it seems to take an enternity compared to a petrol to respond to movements in the accelerator pedal), the take off is very impressive though! I also thought the engine felt very rough compared to a four cylinder petrol too, plus obviously it was noisier. There's absolutely no feedback through the steering wheel in this car either.

Lastly, am I the only one who thinks that the Corsa has the world's most annoying indicators? I think all the Opels have them horrible indicator stalks now, which are impossible to cancel! The Corsa is a nice little car apart from the engine, steering and indicators though!

Fair play for doing it! I did my test in a Corsa diesel and it was actually really nice I thought.. Gearthrow was reasonably short and the engine while noisy was pretty punchy.

Indicators suck though!:D

RoverJames wrote: »

For my sins I am presently driving a boggo 12 year old 1.4 petrol Corolla (the r-word has taken its toll on me like everyone else out there I suppose), so I was hardly driving something nice before I got into the Opel! A Corolla is hardly a car you'd use as a benchmark against anything else!

I honestly think the engine in the Corolla is far, far nicer, but I guess I could learn to get used to diesel after a bit - but truthfully people who blabber on about how petrols are "better" because of the lack of lag etc are certainly not talking BS - there is a real difference between the two of them!

The diesel struck me as being like an inverted petrol in the sense that once you got over 1500 rpm (and the initial lag from the turbo) considering that it had either 75 or 90 bhp (and I think it was 75 because it had a five speed box, and I think the 90 bhp ones have a six speed box) it can really move, much more so than a petrol at those revs (obviously), then again if you're prepared to take a petrol past 4 or 5k rpm, they can get a move on as well too!

166man reminds me of something I forgot to mention, the 'box is really slick in the Corsa (much slicker than the boxes Toyota or VW use in my experience that's for sure), probably the one good thing it does in terms of driving pleasure!

I take the point that a larger diesel would of course be much nicer - it would bloody well want to be :D!

For my sins I am presently driving a boggo 12 year old 1.4 petrol Corolla .............

A VVTi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I got a 40% discount with them by doing this, its quite easy tbh. You just need to have passed your test in the last 5 years i think. I'm a 22 year old male and driving a 08 1.2 petrol corsa, my insurance is €600, and I've had my full licence less than 2 years.

Imho, the 1.3 diesel corsa is shite, the 1.2 petrol is much better to drive.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I got a 40% discount with them by doing this, its quite easy tbh. You just need to have passed your test in the last 5 years i think. I'm a 22 year old male and driving a 08 1.2 petrol corsa, my insurance is €600, and I've had my full licence less than 2 years.

Imho, the 1.3 diesel corsa is shite, the 1.2 petrol is much better to drive.

Thanks, yeah I would imagine that the four cylinder 1.2 would be fine, I suppose it could have been worse and I got to drive the poverty spec 1.0 with three cylinders!

I would certainly like a 40% discount, I was told by my broker that the most I could get was about 20%. Sure I'll find out tomorrow anyway!

@ RJ - yes it's a VVTi, not an oil burner (I certainly would not have taken it if it was), and I got it for silly money as there were a couple of things that needed to be done to it, so I couldn't argue with that:)! It shall be replaced with a 1.6 Focus as soon as funds allow, needless to say!

In fairness a 1.4 VVTi Corolla in power to weight ratio, 0 to 60, top speed etc is a better bus to the Corsa so it's no surprise you weren't overly impressed :)

In fairness a 1.4 VVTi Corolla in power to weight ratio, 0 to 60, top speed etc is a better bus to the Corsa so it's no surprise you weren't overly impressed :)

Funnily enough I thought it had more pull than my own yoke, it was the (lack of) throttle response that annoyed me compared to a NA petrol, and the stupid indicators:)! I've driven slower (petrol) cars than my own and I found them less fustrating to be honest - you knew what it was going to do when you pressed the accelerator, you weren't waiting a good second wondering what it was going to do before it reacted and did something! Apart from the engine the Corsa is a nice bus, much nicer in every other area than my own yoke!

I would certainly like a 40% discount, I was told by my broker that the most I could get was about 20%. Sure I'll find out tomorrow anyway!

Your discount is based on wether you receive a Pass or Merit, also, you'd be amazed at some of the quotes you get by contacting Aviva rather than a broker, Any quote I've got over the phone from Aviva has been miles cheaper than online or through a broker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I did this when I was still on my provisional. I failed it for a few reasons - I had only driven the car I arrived in which was a Peugeot 106 XN diesel. It had feck all power and was fierce slow and I had only been driven 4 or 5 months at the time.

I was thrown into the driver's seat of a Subaru Impreza 2.0 ltr JAP IMPORT. I had never driven a petrol car on the road before this and I told them that to which they replied "you'll be fine" :rolleyes:

I did it in Kilkenny and I had absolutely no idea where I was going because I had never driven there before. Then when trying to indicate, the wipers would come on due to it being a Jap import.

Hugely unfair I thought :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I honestly think the engine in the Corolla is far, far nicer, but I guess I could learn to get used to diesel after a bit - but truthfully people who blabber on about how petrols are "better" because of the lack of lag etc are certainly not talking BS - there is a real difference between the two of them!

The diesel struck me as being like an inverted petrol in the sense that once you got over 1500 rpm (and the initial lag from the turbo) considering that it had either 75 or 90 bhp (and I think it was 75 because it had a five speed box, and I think the 90 bhp ones have a six speed box) it can really move, much more so than a petrol at those revs (obviously), then again if you're prepared to take a petrol past 4 or 5k rpm, they can get a move on as well too!

I take the point that a larger diesel would of course be much nicer - it would bloody well want to be :D!

You need to adjust your driving style to suit a diesel vehicle for sure. The above is a very common complaint from drivers who are not used to driving a diesel. In saying that the 1.3 fiat unit is a very laggy car to drive compared to most others I have had experience of first hand. I would suggest trying out some more and see if your mind would be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Got this test tommorow, wish me the best!

They said on the phone that the discounts are structured this way:
    Pass: 20%
    Merit: 30%
    Distinction: 40%

Im going to aim for a merit as I have a good bit of driving experience, would mean a good 300 bucks off my insurance, heres hoping for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

paruss100 wrote: »

Im going to aim for a merit as I have a good bit of driving experience, would mean a good 300 bucks off my insurance, heres hoping for the best!

Good luck

Good luck mate.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Good luck mate.

Thanks guys, ill keep ye posted with how I got on.

Just got the result and I failed and cant understand why!

I found the mini a little difficult in changing gear but the instructor said that there would be allowances for that.

I was made reverse around a corner and ended up a little bit out from the kerb but thats the only reason why I can see how I didnt pass it.

Unless aviva have made the test a little more strict I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Just got the result and I failed and cant understand why!
    Do they not give you any feedback afterwards?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Do they not give you any feedback afterwards?

Nope, he didnt say a thing, all he said was "iv no idea what the result is"
    He said hed give a score or something and they decided on the discount or whatever.

The email also said nothing about why just "not necessary skill level".

Really not happy about that, been fretting for 2 days about this test!

• Advertisement

Reverse around the corner, thats a new one. Its not meant to be like the driving test :confused:

Advertisement