Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
30-11-2011, 14:16   #1
donnitaLaurita
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
help finding a red wine please

Hi,
I am trying to replace a red wine that was "accidently" drank at a party before the owner notices it is gone, I havent been able to find it yet. I don’t know anything about wine so any help would be appreciated. I’ve looked on all the online Irish websites and they don’t seem to have it

The label on the bottle is shiraz-grenache, vin de Pays d'Oc, J.P LeConte 2005.

Would anyone know where I could order or buy this wine or recommend one that would be similar quality that I can replace it with?
Thanks
donnitaLaurita is offline  
Advertisement
30-11-2011, 14:20   #2
chin_grin
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,395
Just follow this instructional video.

chin_grin is offline  
Thanks from:
30-11-2011, 14:39   #3
donnitaLaurita
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Im sure its pretty expensive alright but hopefully this will teach me!
donnitaLaurita is offline  
30-11-2011, 14:44   #4
Slaphead07
Registered User
 
Slaphead07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rathmines
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnitaLaurita View Post
Would anyone know where I could order or buy this wine or recommend one that would be similar quality that I can replace it with?
Thanks
I'd have one of similar, if not better, quality in stock, a Rousillion Villages 2005. I'll pm you the shop address.
Slaphead07 is offline  
30-11-2011, 16:56   #5
mikep
Registered User
 
mikep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tipperary
Posts: 347
Send a message via AIM to mikep
Super Valu

Super Valu used to stock that...

Might be worth a look although the '05 might not be available any more...
mikep is offline  
Advertisement
30-11-2011, 19:18   #6
P. Breathnach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnitaLaurita View Post
Im sure its pretty expensive alright but hopefully this will teach me!
It's probably not expensive; my guess is under €10. perhaps €6-7. A "vin de pays" is generally second division stuff, and the Pays d'Oc is better known for good-value wines than fine wines. That said, if somebody gave me a bottle of that wine, I'd expect to find it very nice to drink: I like shiraz and I like grenache (grape varieties used in wine-making) and I particularly like them when they are grown in a sunny area like the Pays d'Oc.

A Rousillion-Villages such as Slaphead suggests would probably be a generous replacement.
P. Breathnach is offline  
30-11-2011, 22:57   #7
shy-tall-knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 238
if it said shiraz-grenache and not syrah-grenache then it is most likely not expensive. If your looking to replace it just go to your nearest wine shop and ask the sales assistant for a vin de pays that uses syrah-grenache. They should be able to help you if any use and as the previous poster said expect to pay on average 9-13 euro.
shy-tall-knight is offline  
30-11-2011, 23:43   #8
Slaphead07
Registered User
 
Slaphead07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rathmines
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Breathnach View Post
A Rousillion-Villages such as Slaphead suggests would probably be a generous replacement.
Given the circumstances being generous might be appropriate! The bottle I've suggested is reduced from €22.50 to €12.99 so not OTT at all.
Slaphead07 is offline  
Thanks from:
01-12-2011, 01:01   #9
P. Breathnach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by shy-tall-knight View Post
if it said shiraz-grenache and not syrah-grenache then it is most likely not expensive....
Shiraz and syrah are the same grape.
P. Breathnach is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-12-2011, 00:46   #10
shy-tall-knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Breathnach View Post
Shiraz and syrah are the same grape.
I am aware of that. But in France it is called Syrah and any self-respecting french viticulturist would make sure that the French spelling would be on the label and not the english one. Thats why I am suggesting it is probably cheap as in labeling it 'Shiraz' it is clearly targeting a specific market who would recognise the word Shiraz but be put off by the word syrah.
shy-tall-knight is offline  
04-12-2011, 17:23   #11
springer84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
You can that wine in Centra about 6 quid
springer84 is offline  
04-12-2011, 21:18   #12
Slaphead07
Registered User
 
Slaphead07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rathmines
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer84 View Post
You can that wine in Centra about 6 quid
Sounds lovely. donnitaLaurita got a replacement on Saturday and I'm sure she'll earn kudos by giving a better quality wine in return.
Slaphead07 is offline  
04-12-2011, 21:21   #13
superstoner90
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,976
LIDL buy a cheap red and bam bobs your tea pot
superstoner90 is offline  
09-04-2012, 18:38   #14
Gabigee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnitaLaurita View Post
Hi,
I am trying to replace a red wine that was "accidently" drank at a party before the owner notices it is gone, I havent been able to find it yet. I don’t know anything about wine so any help would be appreciated. I’ve looked on all the online Irish websites and they don’t seem to have it

The label on the bottle is shiraz-grenache, vin de Pays d'Oc, J.P LeConte 2005.

Would anyone know where I could order or buy this wine or recommend one that would be similar quality that I can replace it with?
Thanks
Centra stock it...
Gabigee is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet