Raw chicken smells like fish - is it off? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

02-04-2012, 17:12   #1
Susie_Q
Closed Account

Raw chicken smells like fish - is it off?

Bought some raw chicken breasts from a new butchers shop that's opened up here (I'm in smalltown India) and when I took them home and opened the packaging the chicken smelled a bit like fish. I gave them a good wash under the tap but the smell lingered.

I'm wondering if this means the chicken is off, or whether it just means the chicken was chopped up on the fish counter in the shop (they have a fresh fish section)? No one in the shop speaks any English so I can't go back to ask. I've cooked two of the breasts really really well but am too scared to taste the meat yet - I've had food poisoning too many times here to take the risk without getting some advice.

Any thoughts?
Advertisement
02-04-2012, 17:21   #2
Curry Addict

i find non free range chicken fillets smell vile tbh. free range have a healthy fresh smell. with chicken if in doubt throw it out imho, not worth taking the chance
Thanks from:
02-04-2012, 17:43   #3
Miaireland

I wouldn't take the risk with chicken tbh.
02-04-2012, 20:00   #4
CJhaughey

India? I would guess its all chopped on the same board.
Just cook it well.
02-04-2012, 20:18   #5
duploelabs

Noting should smell of fish if its fresh, even fish itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie_Q View Post
Bought some raw chicken breasts from a new butchers shop that's opened up here (I'm in smalltown India) and when I took them home and opened the packaging the chicken smelled a bit like fish. I gave them a good wash under the tap but the smell lingered.

I'm wondering if this means the chicken is off, or whether it just means the chicken was chopped up on the fish counter in the shop (they have a fresh fish section)? No one in the shop speaks any English so I can't go back to ask. I've cooked two of the breasts really really well but am too scared to taste the meat yet - I've had food poisoning too many times here to take the risk without getting some advice.

Any thoughts?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-04-2012, 20:39   #6
The Hill Billy
Up the junction

Really, you bought it, you saw the conditions of the premises, you can see it & smell it - how do you expect people several continents away to make a better call than you on the safety of consuming this?

We will not be responsible for you possibly eating dodgy produce.

Closed.

tHB
Thread Closed