Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-03-2010, 10:25   #1
Lennard

Bowling centres with Bars?

Does anybody know if there's a bowling alley on the North side of Dublin that actually does have a bar?

I was very surprised to find that the alley in Coolock does not have a bar.. that's the first time anywhere in the whole world that I found a bowling alley that does not serve drinks.
Advertisement
18-03-2010, 20:23   #2
MickShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennard View Post
I was very surprised to find that the alley in Coolock does not have a bar.. that's the first time anywhere in the whole world that I found a bowling alley that does not serve drinks.
I thought it was just me. The alley in Kilkenny doesn't have a bar either.
26-03-2010, 12:04   #3
r3nu4l
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to r3nu4l
Most of the centres in Ireland don't operate a bar, the few that do are in the minority It's very strange considering that almost everywhere else there are bars and even good quality food in SOME centres
19-04-2010, 19:43   #4
tariqbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3nu4l View Post
Most of the centres in Ireland don't operate a bar, the few that do are in the minority It's very strange considering that almost everywhere else there are bars and even good quality food in SOME centres

Is there a reason most bowling alleys dont have bars?

I went to the stillorgan bowl last night and the security guard wouldnt let my friends in because they smelled of drink! You are supposed to smell of drink when you are bowling! Thankfully he let us in after much pleading, but it wasn't a very good experience having to argue with the security guard when the place was empty anyway.

Its a shame stillorgan bowl has become so run down.

Edit:

Also can you tell me of any bowling alleys in ireland that serve beer?

Last edited by tariqbutt; 19-04-2010 at 20:01.
31-05-2010, 23:01   #5
10green bottles

Send a message via ICQ to 10green bottles Send a message via AIM to 10green bottles Send a message via Yahoo to 10green bottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqbutt View Post

I went to the stillorgan bowl last night and the security guard wouldnt let my friends in because they smelled of drink! You are supposed to smell of drink when you are bowling! Thankfully he let us in after much pleading, but it wasn't a very good experience having to argue with the security guard when the place was empty anyway.

Its a shame stillorgan bowl has become so run down.

Edit:

Also can you tell me of any bowling alleys in ireland that serve beer?

the bowling alley in Dundalk has a restaurant,fast food and an excellent BAR
Advertisement
01-06-2010, 14:06   #6
r3nu4l
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to r3nu4l
Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqbutt
I don't know the exact reason to be honest. I used to think it was licensing laws that stopped them serving beer but as 10greenbottles says, the one in Dundalk has a bar so I'm at a loss to explain it.

It may be because the centre operators want to maintain the 'family friendly' image and don't want crowds of fake-id-carrying-kids wrecking the place at the weekends.
01-06-2010, 14:08   #7
tariqbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3nu4l View Post
I don't know the exact reason to be honest. I used to think it was licensing laws that stopped them serving beer but as 10greenbottles says, the one in Dundalk has a bar so I'm at a loss to explain it.

It may be because the centre operators want to maintain the 'family friendly' image and don't want crowds of fake-id-carrying-kids wrecking the place at the weekends.
you would wonder why this isnt a problem in other countries though
06-06-2010, 16:29   #8
bingo92

bowling

Alsaa at Dublin airport you can go up to the bar and bring your drink down with you.
Thanks from:
29-01-2012, 20:55   #9
p

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqbutt View Post
I believe it's because of the licensing laws in Ireland. Unless you're a bar or a restaurant it's very difficult and/or expensive to sell alcohol.

Unfortunately in this country we've decided that drinking is mainly allowed in places with hardly any chairs, no food or any other activity.

And we wonder why we have a drinking problem.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-01-2012, 21:04   #10
henryporter

I used to frequent a great bowling alley in Chicago with a bar that only sold Budweiser (in bowling pin shaped bottles), but to me bowling and beer are inseparable. Lucky I'm near enough to Dundalk to check that option out.
30-03-2012, 14:00   #11
CaptainFreedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennard View Post
Does anybody know if there's a bowling alley on the North side of Dublin that actually does have a bar?

I once worked there and they do/did have a bar licence, I think it was due to wanting to have people there to bowl and not there to get drunk. Also the large amount of kids parties there meant the last thing they would want would be people oiled up in the day, as many are not content with just 1 drink!
30-03-2012, 14:10   #12
Mellio

its just typical in Ireland that everything we do has to exclude having a drink cos we drink way too much!

I believe this is totally un true for the majority of people and being able
to go to the likes of a bowling alley and have a beer or two would be quite enjoyable.

I think it really is the licensing issue more so, getting a bar licence full stop is hard enough and very expensive.
30-03-2012, 15:14   #13
CaptainFreedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellio View Post
its just typical in Ireland that everything we do has to exclude having a drink cos we drink way too much!

I believe this is totally un true for the majority of people and being able
to go to the likes of a bowling alley and have a beer or two would be quite enjoyable.

I think it really is the licensing issue more so, getting a bar licence full stop is hard enough and very expensive.
At one point they were certainly not short of money! Given the demographic of the branch in Coolock, a bar may not have been a good idea. Having seen some of the trouble that occurred in the small hours of the weekend when people went there for food after a night out, serving alcohol would not be a good idea (this was when it was 24h opening), like pouring parrafin on a fire to extinguish it.

But we are wandering off topic now, back on it
30-03-2012, 15:17   #14
thehomeofDob

I realise it's not on the north side, but Bray Bowl has a bring your own bear night on Fridays/Saturdays. I think it's €10/20 in, but all the arcades, bowling, and pool are free for the night. It always attracts a crowd so be sure to go early.
07-01-2014, 14:47   #15
2ndcoming

The new Base centre in Celbridge might be a bit Leisureplex-y for the hardcore bowlers but they told me last week that they will start serving beer in the next two weeks.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion