Haven't touched a drop in... - Page 15 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-03-2012, 08:23   #211
KaG
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxxx View Post
3 weeks roughly, might not seem alot, was drinking way too much and got into one of those crappy cycles

trying to knock it for good, feel much better but my sleep pattern is messed up
Exercise & improve your diet if it can be improved. Had the same problem but after about a month I was fine. I've lost 3 stone since October from not drinking, exercising regularly & improving my diet(although it still needs improvement!). If I can do it anyone can do it.
KaG is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-03-2012, 08:26   #212
sunflower27
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1 View Post
Hey Everyone
Havnt drank since Christmas. My reasons are im on lot of medication at moment, and i cant cope with hangovers, plus i dont really go out that much anyway.

Only thing im finding frustrating is the complete shock and nosiness of people when you order non alcoholic stuff. Its like im an alien or something and i dont want to tell them what medication im on!!
I think I have been really fortunate as I haven't come up against that yet. If anyone has said 'don't you drink?' I simply say 'not anymore - am much better off it' and then change the subject.

I think some people like to make a point, so if you act as if it isn't a big deal, then it ceases to become a talking point.

If they harp on about it, just remember it is their problem - not yours
sunflower27 is offline  
Thanks from:
14-03-2012, 13:14   #213
hubba
Registered User
 
hubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower27 View Post
I'm coming up to 80 days

No intention of going back on it either. Was tough at first, but I don't even notice it now.

A friend I hadn't seen in a while bought me a glass of wine at the weekend and I politely declined and swapped it for a non-alcoholic drink.

Not quite sure if she forgot or just presumed I was back on it.

Can't stress enough how much better my life is at the moment and how much happier I am. I haven't felt this good in years!
That's fantastic, Sunflower27, well done!
hubba is offline  
Thanks from:
14-03-2012, 14:05   #214
sunflower27
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubba View Post
That's fantastic, Sunflower27, well done!
Thanks Hubba

My mind is clearer, I am making far better decisions and am able to 100% stand by them.

I have commenced some training in a volunteer field I have always been interested in and have met some FANTASTIC people

I have applied for a scholarship (fingers crossed).

Everything in my life now seems totally manageable - i love it and am just going to keep going now. No turning back to the way I was.
sunflower27 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
14-03-2012, 16:55   #215
nuxxx
Registered User
 
nuxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: On a boat
Posts: 7,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaG View Post
Exercise & improve your diet if it can be improved. Had the same problem but after about a month I was fine. I've lost 3 stone since October from not drinking, exercising regularly & improving my diet(although it still needs improvement!). If I can do it anyone can do it.
Hey thanks for the post.

The problem is I have a high Metabolism so I never put on any weight when I was drinking, I was always pretty skinny. If I start to loose even more weight I`ll be on the beanpole skinny factor and I don't want that
nuxxx is offline  
Advertisement
14-03-2012, 16:58   #216
KaG
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxxx View Post
Hey thanks for the post.

The problem is I have a high Metabolism so I never put on any weight when I was drinking, I was always pretty skinny. If I start to loose even more weight I`ll be on the beanpole skinny factor and I don't want that
Well then just the exercise. It will help in a big way with the sleeping. I wasn't huge either but I was slightly over weight. With all the abuse I done to my body I deserved to be 20 stone but got away with just being under 17 when I stopped back in October.
KaG is offline  
20-03-2012, 10:41   #217
seanrose
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 71
37 days in now,wasnt even tempted over paddys weekend and feel all the better for it today,was working the weekend and chilled out then in the evening time and feel well rested while im sure most of the population feel still hungover today

people have said to me think of all the money your saving but you know what i still have no money at the end of the week,seems to disappear down a big hole.

I am starting to get a real hatred of pubs and even the thought of going into one gives me the shivers,just feel now like it has a fake sense of enjoyment but hope i can overcome it because i dont want to turn into a recluse either
seanrose is offline  
20-03-2012, 10:43   #218
KaG
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanrose View Post
37 days in now,wasnt even tempted over paddys weekend and feel all the better for it today,was working the weekend and chilled out then in the evening time and feel well rested while im sure most of the population feel still hungover today

people have said to me think of all the money your saving but you know what i still have no money at the end of the week,seems to disappear down a big hole.

I am starting to get a real hatred of pubs and even the thought of going into one gives me the shivers,just feel now like it has a fake sense of enjoyment but hope i can overcome it because i dont want to turn into a recluse either
Well done. I'm the same keep spending money on ****e haha! Ah well better that then on nothing to show for it except a hangover. I'll be off it 6 months in 10 days
KaG is offline  
20-03-2012, 10:48   #219
Snoopy1
Registered User
 
Snoopy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1 View Post
Hey Everyone
Havnt drank since Christmas. My reasons are im on lot of medication at moment, and i cant cope with hangovers, plus i dont really go out that much anyway.

Only thing im finding frustrating is the complete shock and nosiness of people when you order non alcoholic stuff. Its like im an alien or something and i dont want to tell them what medication im on!!
I think I have been really fortunate as I haven't come up against that yet. If anyone has said 'don't you drink?' I simply say 'not anymore - am much better off it' and then change the subject.

I think some people like to make a point, so if you act as if it isn't a big deal, then it ceases to become a talking point.

If they harp on about it, just remember it is their problem - not yours
What I'm finding annoying is the people that won't say no. The have a drink brigade . Have a drink
Me no thanks
Just one?
No thanks I'm on anti biotics
One won't hurt
No thanks
Just one go on!!!!

It's frustrating
Snoopy1 is offline  
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-03-2012, 10:50   #220
seanrose
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 71
well done kag,yeah i dont worry bout the money part as its true when they say your health your wealth especially when it comes to you mental state.
seanrose is offline  
20-03-2012, 14:01   #221
JonBon27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
17 days
JonBon27 is offline  
Thanks from:
27-03-2012, 21:25   #222
Aish_ie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Hello Looking for some advice. I need to know if there are any AA meetings which target young people mid 20's ?
Aish_ie is offline  
28-03-2012, 21:44   #223
realies
The man who never talked back
 
realies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In my own little world. I like it here.
Posts: 8,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aish_ie View Post
Hello Looking for some advice. I need to know if there are any AA meetings which target young people mid 20's ?

We not allowed by boards rules to give advice about AA meetings or any other groups such as life ring which help people with alcohol problems for young people
realies is offline  
Thanks from:
29-03-2012, 00:30   #224
SandraNiD
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
30 days.

had a serious drink problem a few years back. did a stint in bushy park and then was able to ''moderate it''

knocked it on the head sort of over the past year only drinking sporadically. fell off the wagon after christmas.

came to a head a few weeks ago.

30 days clean now. it's my birthday this sunday and hopefully I can stay out of the dreaded cycle and stay clean.

long road to recovery has begun.

''So in the end, was it worth it Jesus Christ. How irreparably changed my life has become. It's always the last days of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in. I'll grant you I've had more than my share of poignant moments. Life passes most people by when they're busy making grand plans for it. Throughout my lifetime I've left pieces of my heart here and there. And now, there's almost barely enough to stay alive. But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door.''
SandraNiD is offline  
Thanks from:
29-03-2012, 08:04   #225
seanrose
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 71
well done sandra

when you say moderate it do you mean stopping drinking to excess thus stopping the blackouts or where you still unable to control drinking to excess.

i hope you do stay out of the cycle and what i would say is enjoy your birthday because if you wake up on monday morning with another hangover it will ruin the memories of your birthday.

I would be a sporadic drinker as well but when i do drink i drink to excess,would love to be one of the person that knows when they have had enough but for the time being enjoy my alcohol free life (46 days today).hopefully some day i might have a healthy relationship with alcohol that i know when to stop and stop the blackouts but know that day may never come

good luck sandra and have a good birthday,think of something you always wanted to do and treat yourself and do it for your birthday
seanrose is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet