Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

passport application

Options
  • 26-03-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

So, I just went into my local Garda station to get my passport form stamped. It's for a lost passport. I gathered everything they asked for on the form. However the garda on duty wouldn't even look at any of it unless I could provide a driving license.

I have to travel in 2 months. If I need to get a drivers license first, I'm screwed.

Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

That doesn't sound right, ring the passport office, or go back to the Garda Station tomorrow and hope there is a different copper on the desk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

That sounds completely wrong.

I'm in the middle of filling out the form to renew my passport right now and will be going to the Garda station in the next few days.

There's no mention on the form about having to provide a driver's licence: you should show him that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

You mean you didn't bring a valid form of ID with you when you tried to get the form stamped?

That's your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

yeah the cop is wrong.... how do 16 year olds get passports? they cant have a driving license.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

You need photo ID OP, have you got any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Birth Cert is all you should really need no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

sugarman wrote: »
    OP, you've 19 Posts in 13 Yrs, really?:pac:
    There's a gap of 12 years between his/hers 6th and 7th post. :pac:

You do need a photo ID, it's in Note 9 on the Passport application notes page, but it doesn't specify a driver's licence, it says a work photo ID (or presumably a college ID) would also be acceptable.

Do you have any other photo ID at all, OP?

EDIT: The form actually just says you should bring a photo ID in case the birth cert isn't considered enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Should have hit the copper a headbutt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

That's the incompetence of the Gardaí for you. They certify the photos and say it's you. That's it. You only need a birth cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'm surprised you didn't get sent to prison for pulling a stunt like that OP :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jealous that I registered before you? :P

Actually, I used to post under a different name. then thought I'd use this instead.
    lastlaugh wrote: »
    You mean you didn't bring a valid form of ID with you when you tried to get the form stamped?

That's your fault.

The Form states "additional form of photo id, eg, Driving license, work id, student card, social club membership, passport from another country etc..

I had my work ID, college ID and original long form birth certificate. But she didn't look at them, she just said she wouldn't even look at the form without a drivers license or my last (Lost) passport.

I think I'm going to have to head to a different garda station. I didn't need a drivers license the last time I got a passport. So I'll just head there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I went to get a passport form stamped awhile back and the Garda on the desk said "we don't know you here so I cant stamp that." I said "sure i thought that would be a good thing."

Had to go to the area where I used to live 2 years previously and they didn't even ask. Just stamped it. Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Grayson wrote: »
    The Form states "additional form of photo id, eg, Driving license, work id, student card, social club membership, passport from another country etc..

I had my work ID, college ID and original long form birth certificate. But she didn't look at them, she just said she wouldn't even look at the form without a drivers license or my last (Lost) passport.

Is this a makey-up story?

Actually, I used to post under a different name. then thought I'd use this instead.

I think I'm going to have to head to a different garda station. I didn't need a drivers license the last time I got a passport. So I'll just head there.

Just to update my earlier post: You don't strictly need a photo ID, but the form says you should bring one as the birth certificate might not be enough.
    So that seems to be up to the discretion of the guards, but both ID's and the birth cert should have been more than enough, so the guard you dealt with was out of order, or simply hadn't a clue about what the regulations actually are.

You should have better luck at another station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

just ask one of your friends that knows a cop to get it stamped for ya :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

And? :confused:

Just to update my earlier post: You don't strictly need a photo ID, but the form says you should bring one as the birth certificate might not be enough.
    So that seems to be up to the discretion of the guards, but both ID's and the birth cert should have been more than enough, so the guard you dealt with was out of order, or simply hadn't a clue about what the regulations actually are.

You should have better luck at another station.

I called my sister. It's her wedding I need the passport for. Apparently the guards refused to stamp her fiancees application last year. He had a driving licence. They said they wouldn't feel safe since they didn't know him. He ended up going to his hometown in Clare to get it stamped. Apparently its all at the decision of the guards you talk to.

I also learned that the maid of honor's husband and one of the bridesmaids are gardai. Problem solved. Once I get to mayo to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

you an't gettng on no plane, i pitty the fool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Birth Cert is all you should really need no?

How does the Garda know that the Birth Cert relates to you? How does he/she know that you haven't just robbed someone else's birth cert and are trying to commit identity fraud?

If the Garda is not satisfied as to your identity, then (s)he is entitled to challenge you to prove you are who you say you are.

• Advertisement

I called my sister. It's her wedding I need the passport for. Apparently the guards refused to stamp her fiancees application last year. He had a driving licence. They said they wouldn't feel safe since they didn't know him. He ended up going to his hometown in Clare to get it stamped. Apparently its all at the decision of the guards you talk to.

I also learned that the maid of honor's husband and one of the bridesmaids are gardai. Problem solved. Once I get to mayo to see them.

Hopefully you can get it sorted.

I don't get this idea that the guards have to you know you personally. I don't know any guards, and live in Galway where there's two big stations serving the entire city, so they can't know everyone.
    Even if I did know some guards personally, I'd be fairly lucky to get to the station while they were also there.

Also, what happens if it's a small town but a person keeps to himself: surely there's a good chance the guards won't know him.

I didn't have any problem getting my form stamped when I got my first passport when I was 18.
    It does indeed sound like some guards are just craving a little power fix, or just don't understand the regulations.
    Hopefully I won't have any hassle when I try to get the stamp.

Hopefully you can get it sorted.

I don't get this idea that the guards have to you know you personally. I don't know any guards, and live in Galway where there's two big stations serving the entire city, so they can't know everyone.
    Even if I did know some guards personally, I'd be fairly lucky to get to the station while they were also there.

Also, what happens if it's a small town but a person keeps to himself: surely there's a good chance the guards won't know him.

I didn't have any problem getting my form stamped when I got my first passport when I was 18.
    It does indeed sound like some guards are just craving a little power fix, or just don't understand the regulations.
    Hopefully I won't have any hassle when I try to get the stamp.

That's the thing. I'm from the countryside and knew no guards there. When i got my last passport i went to the garda station next to the college I was in.

I guess what annoyed me about this is that she didn't look at the stuff I'd brought. If she looked at it and decided it was inadequate, that's one thing. But to dismiss it before I'd even presented just seemed nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That's the thing. I'm from the countryside and knew no guards there. When i got my last passport i went to the garda station next to the college I was in.

I guess what annoyed me about this is that she didn't look at the stuff I'd brought. If she looked at it and decided it was inadequate, that's one thing. But to dismiss it before I'd even presented just seemed nasty.

....try another day and see if there's a different garda on. I got mine done recently, and there was no question of a driving licence (which was good, because I don't have one).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Easy Peasy, act the scumbag, get arrested a few times in your local area. Then a few of the cops will know you! :)

This "I don't know you" thing is completely irrelevant and stupid when stations now deal with area's containing upwards of 10,000 people. Of course they don't know a person, that person isn't being arrested all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Slightly off topic but I once had to get mine stamped by a priest when I was living in France. Is there not a provision that states you can get it stamped by the headmaster of a school or also a priest?

Maybe its different for people who live abroad but I went to Paris, got some Irish priest out there to stamp it and then the embassy gave me a new passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I had to go back to my local station 4 times with different info at the request of 3 different Gardai who were working in the public office each time I went in when I was applying for a new passport after I lost my old one.

First guard wanted a utility bill,so I went back home and got one,when I came back he was gone and the second guard wanted a more up to date utility bill,so I went home and trawled through the house til I finally found one,returned to the station and he was also gone,and the third guard now wanted a bank statement in my name.Went home got one,back into the station and she was gone,but a sergeant behind the desk just stamped it straight away,no questions asked.

A very frustrating experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

had similar experiences, i dont think its down to being an arse, think they all just genuinely think they are follwoing the right procedure (whatever that might be)

Pearse st wouldnt stamp mine, i had to go my local station only apparently.....walked to store st-stamped no questions asked.

Easy Peasy, act the scumbag, get arrested a few times in your local area. Then a few of the cops will know you! :)

This "I don't know you" thing is completely irrelevant and stupid when stations now deal with area's containing upwards of 10,000 people. Of course they don't know a person, that person isn't being arrested all the time.

I actually thought that when i was in the station. If they arrested me and found the info I had on me, they'd take that as my name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 krb1979

Just from my experience:
    Guards here are extremely inconsistent. I got naturalised last year and went to the Garda station in Limerick for getting forms stamped for PP application. The first time I went in I had absolutely no problem. The Garda didn't even blink and stamped the papers.
    The 2nd time I went in the same place, the Garda was really obnoxious & rudely told me that on top of my driving license (which had an old address) I also had to provide proof of address that I was living in Limerick.
    So a few day later I go back, armed to the teeth with all kinds of documents to prove my identity and this time again no body asked me any thing.

My personal opinion is that some of the Guards just don't want to be helpful or will make life difficult for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

did your lost passport smell like chicken? or a kebab?

Advertisement