Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Reg Database

Options
  • 17-03-2012 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Did a search here and on google and couldnt find anything. Im wondering how hard or what would be involved in setting up a system like that on cartell.ie, where someone would put in a car reg number and it would return some details about the car?

Ive found these guys (http://www.benchmark.ie/) but I cant see that a private company would be the only ones that could provide this info?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Motorcheck.Ie will give you basic stuff like vin, colour, and make and model for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Asp.net

Php

MySQL

C#

What are you going to build your database on ? Did u research on how u can link Irish reg cars to your database, will your database be well build to stop SQL injection or if your using joomla that it can't be injected either,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sorry, I realise my first post wasnt that clear, was written in a bit of a rush! What I want to do is build a form where the user inputs their reg number and it returns the make, model and year into some fields on a contact form.

A few sites have the functionality, like cartell and motorcheck. I cant see anything on any government site making the car reg data available publicly. What Im wondering is where are they getting the info for the database? Benchmark.ie provide an API but surely they arent the only ones who hold the registration data, being that they are a private company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I would Image, you would have to get onto the Public Transport Goverment Office, with your Blue prints of the Site, Blue prints to the Bussiness side of things..

if they feel that your Bussiness is Well in order and that their is a market out their for this type of thing then they will then give you what you need.

I could only image the the RSA is not going to hand over their database to you that you would link your Database to their database

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alan_john

They don't advertise the fact, but the government is the source of the data alright.

Every car coming into the country has to be registered with the revenue dudes, so they must have a BIG list of all the cars ever imported into Ireland.

I would try these guys first:

Central Vehicle Office,
    Rosslare Harbour,
    Co. Wexford.

053 - 9161200 cvoffice@revenue.ie

source: http://www.revenue.ie/en/contact/east-south-east-region.html

I may have a need for something like this in the future so post back & let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's maintained by the DVCSD in the VRO in Shannon, their standard public contact details are here, they could probably put you in touch with the right people there. As far as I'm aware though they are very careful and strict about who they give access to the data to (and rightly so). They insist on lots of privacy and security stuff. And I believe it's quite expensive too. It's probably far easier, if you can, to partner with someone like cartell or motorcheck like most of the car sites here do.

Advertisement