What JRPG are you currently playing? - Page 10 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-03-2012, 11:44   #136
lasersquad
Closed Account

Valhalla Knights - avoided it for long time, being silly enough to believe Metacritic. Now can`t put it down. Yes, the camera sucks, big time. Got used to it though, the combat is very good (and I`m not a big fan of action systems) gfx stunning and game structure very addictive.

Crusaders Of Centy - chop!chop!throw!chop!... so daft :) But fun too.
Advertisement
10-03-2012, 11:53   #137
Mindkiller
Closed Account

Final Fantasy XII - Zodiac something or another thingymibob. It's really f*cking good. Fixes near enough every problem that XII had. Mist quickenings no longer use MP and work similar to overdrives or limit breaks. You can buy every gambit after escaping from Nalbina, so you no longer have to play most of the game with a nerfed combat system. They also include a frameskip 'turbo' mode to fastforward through grinding. It's like an emulator in that respect. It seems geared towards replays, especially as there are 12 job classes in the game and the most you'll see in one playthrough is 6. The job system itself is a lot like FF1-3. Your characters will be far more limited in what they can equip and what skills they can learn so they're not interchangable like in XII (and every other FF title since VI, excluding IX and XIII). They also include a 100 level 'trial' mode which means now you actually have an incentive to get all the super rare equipment. They've removed all damage limits as well
11-03-2012, 23:31   #138
Retr0gamer

Finally beat Phantasy Star 2. It was a total grind fest with not much story but did have some good points. It makes a great attempt at some social commentary and the ending is absolutely cracking, really surprised me.

Now back to Xenoblade.
11-03-2012, 23:39   #139
noodler

Well into Chapter for in FFT.

Its dragging on a little.
16-03-2012, 16:56   #140
Aurongroove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindkiller View Post
Final Fantasy XII - Zodiac something or another thingymibob. It's really f*cking good. Fixes near enough every problem that XII had. Mist quickenings no longer use MP and work similar to overdrives or limit breaks. You can buy every gambit after escaping from Nalbina, so you no longer have to play most of the game with a nerfed combat system. They also include a frameskip 'turbo' mode to fastforward through grinding. It's like an emulator in that respect. It seems geared towards replays, especially as there are 12 job classes in the game and the most you'll see in one playthrough is 6. The job system itself is a lot like FF1-3. Your characters will be far more limited in what they can equip and what skills they can learn so they're not interchangable like in XII (and every other FF title since VI, excluding IX and XIII). They also include a 100 level 'trial' mode which means now you actually have an incentive to get all the super rare equipment. They've removed all damage limits as well
wow that really sounds like it fixes alot of things. the damage limit removed will really help the Summons which were probably the most underpowered things I've even seen in a game, since yer one's Monster badges in Dark cloud2/chronicle: An entire part of the game made to weak to actually be of any use, even for fun.
Advertisement
16-03-2012, 17:09   #141
Aurongroove

I stayed up last and had the most epically insane 12 hours of gaming I've had for the past 6 years probably.

I tried to go from floor 1-100 in the Item world in Disgaea 3 without exiting.
there were at least 4 times in those 12 hours (no saving) where It was looking like absolute failure. the only times I'd stop is if I found a floor with invincible tiles and used them to level everyone up.

there were times when my strong team mated would get killed and I'd need to find the Item world village so I'd be hurpling along with lesser team mates trying to make do.
The last few levels, say 70 and up with monsters of approx level 190-250 (and my team approx level 80 bar 2 people on level 103 and 140 respectively) were full motion pictures in themselves.
On the 98th floor I got two of my strong team mates out and stood them on reverse damage tiles. Then a flood on monsters from those pad things which spawn hoards of them, one guy got healed to death and the other stood there for approximately 3:30 hours killing the healers then running out of SP, so just attacking every round, I eventually got a trophy I didnt know existed one for getting a combo of '255', but in the end by the time the he cleared the screen I would guess I attacked about 3/400 times. all while standing there on my own, no help possible my teams average level was about 70 and the monsters were 210, if anyone tried to help they've been instantly destroyed(as they couldn't reach the reverse damage tiles).

Then on Floor99 the dash to the gate went wrong, and my entire team that were out including my brave soldier from the previous level now level 192 were instantly annihilated. One random team mate in the corner survived, so I threw literally the last 3 human team mates I had in a chain to her, they throw her to the gate, and she walked in to floor 100.
when I got to floor 100 I did a throw chain to the gate and ****ing SAVED!!

Last edited by Aurongroove; 18-03-2012 at 14:18.
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2012, 23:02   #142
animaX

Sounds epic
19-03-2012, 20:29   #143
noodler

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodler View Post
Well into Chapter for in FFT.

Its dragging on a little.
Completed FFT just there.

It becomes much easier when you get Orlandeau.

However, I think I'd have been driven mad if the game didn't give you him since the sheer number of battles (especially towards the end) really made the game drag.

I have to be honest, I was absolutely lost when it came to the story for the last 75% of the game (pretty much everything from Chapter 2 onwards).

Nevertheless, twas entertaining and had some nice moments storywise.

Better editing in terms of the number of battles and story would have helped.

Anyway, I don't think I can hold of buying ME3 any longer.
20-03-2012, 19:10   #144
penev10

Fire Emblem >>> FFT

Can't understand the love for FFT.
Advertisement
20-03-2012, 19:20   #145
Retr0gamer

Congrats on beating FFT, it's a tough one to get through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penev10 View Post
Can't understand the love for FFT.
Heavily borken and exploitable job systems rock!
21-03-2012, 12:42   #146
Sephiroth_dude
One Winged Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurongroove View Post
I stayed up last and had the most epically insane 12 hours of gaming I've had for the past 6 years probably.

I tried to go from floor 1-100 in the Item world in Disgaea 3 without exiting.
there were at least 4 times in those 12 hours (no saving) where It was looking like absolute failure. the only times I'd stop is if I found a floor with invincible tiles and used them to level everyone up.

there were times when my strong team mated would get killed and I'd need to find the Item world village so I'd be hurpling along with lesser team mates trying to make do.
The last few levels, say 70 and up with monsters of approx level 190-250 (and my team approx level 80 bar 2 people on level 103 and 140 respectively) were full motion pictures in themselves.
On the 98th floor I got two of my strong team mates out and stood them on reverse damage tiles. Then a flood on monsters from those pad things which spawn hoards of them, one guy got healed to death and the other stood there for approximately 3:30 hours killing the healers then running out of SP, so just attacking every round, I eventually got a trophy I didnt know existed one for getting a combo of '255', but in the end by the time the he cleared the screen I would guess I attacked about 3/400 times. all while standing there on my own, no help possible my teams average level was about 70 and the monsters were 210, if anyone tried to help they've been instantly destroyed(as they couldn't reach the reverse damage tiles).

Then on Floor99 the dash to the gate went wrong, and my entire team that were out including my brave soldier from the previous level now level 192 were instantly annihilated. One random team mate in the corner survived, so I threw literally the last 3 human team mates I had in a chain to her, they throw her to the gate, and she walked in to floor 100.
when I got to floor 100 I did a throw chain to the gate and ****ing SAVED!!
sounds like an interesting game,is that on the ps3?strategy rpg?
21-03-2012, 13:24   #147
noodler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
Congrats on beating FFT, it's a tough one to get through.

In terms of difficulty it was. Although as I said, Orlandeau was too powerful in the clsoing battles - I didn't have to use him but as it drags on a bit I decided feck it.

Ending was abrupt but I liked it.
23-03-2012, 22:20   #148
Aurongroove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_dude View Post
sounds like an interesting game,is that on the ps3?strategy rpg?
it's turn based strategy ala 'tactics' games, but it's by far the best I've played and the story is ****ing gas! I actually though I hated these types of games since the last one I invested time in was Suikoden tactics (bull**** game) and FF tactics A2 which was OK, but it was mostly for the story and extra curricular bits and not the battle system itself which I was glad to see the back of once I finished the game.

Disgaea 3 and 4 are both PS3. I decided to get 3 because 4 was brand new when I heard about the series and I didn't wanna spend full price on a game.
25-03-2012, 11:33   #149
Mindkiller
Closed Account

Put down FFXII for a while and picked up Vagrant Story. The opening 5 minutes were amazing but the last 4 hours have been a tepid grind. It's not that hard, it's just really dull.

On the other hand, I genuinely like the fact that the game explains absolutely feck all about game mechanics and leaves it all up to the player. Makes a refreshing change from games where each and every little detail is explained in unskippable tutorial sections.
25-03-2012, 23:29   #150
Retr0gamer

My advice is to make sure you spend a lot of time forging weapons and leveling them up. If you don't then the game becomes a grind.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion