Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clogher Road Crumlin

Options
  • 14-03-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what should be the going rate for this area on clogher road down by the canal side, I am paying 550 a month for a room in a shared house that is not ensuite, in what is becoming a really bad area.

Last night there was a bomb incident on the clogher road and I have also had my car petrolbombed recently. I just feel I am paying a fortune for not such a good deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Eh if you are getting your car petrol bombed then I dont think the going rate for the area really matters too much...!

I cant offer any insight into the rental prices of the area. Im sorry to hear its going downhill though; my aunt and uncle used to live there when I was growing up and it always seemed a nice place (to a 10 year old anyway!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

djimi wrote: »
    Eh if you are getting your car petrol bombed then I dont think the going rate for the area really matters too much...!

I cant offer any insight into the rental prices of the area. Im sorry to hear its going downhill though; my aunt and uncle used to live there when I was growing up and it always seemed a nice place (to a 10 year old anyway!).
    I thought so aswell when I first moved in, I actually dont or more to the point cant move out as I will be moving in with my GF at the end of the year so dont want to have move out twice.

I feel I am paying too much money for what is becoming a dodgy area.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Chong wrote: »
    I feel I am paying too much money for what is becoming a dodgy area.
    Actually, the pipe bomb hazard is much reduced on previous years.

Unless someone else chimes in with better advise the best I can say is to go onto daft and take a look at what rental prices are like for similar accomodations in the area, then knock €50 off that price and youll get a good idea of what others in the area are paying.

Victor wrote: »
    Actually, the pipe bomb hazard is much reduced on previous years.
    Wait, this is a common thing? IF thats the case I was completely unaware

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Can anyone tell me what should be the going rate for this area on clogher road down by the canal side, I am paying 550 a month for a room in a shared house that is not ensuite, in what is becoming a really bad area.

Last night there was a bomb incident on the clogher road and I have also had my car petrolbombed recently. I just feel I am paying a fortune for not such a good deal.

Your car has been petrol-bombed and you're wondering if you're paying too much? It could be half that and you'd be paying too much!

Here's a nice-looking room in a lovely area for the same price ... and it's ensuite!

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=669559

Seriously, nowhere is worth that kind of risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I live up the road near the Childrens Hospital and a house on a parallel street was petrol bombed there recently.

I'm seriously thinking of moving myself but I'm locked into a lease.

Well you see I am not bound by a lease, I am past that stage all I need is my months notice and I am gone.

I am in a bind though, cause I want to move in with my GF around January/February next year so moving out now means taking on most likely a year lease. Also two of my house mates have also moved out leaving me just with the live in Landlord.

So I am pretty much stuck

I am in a bind though, cause I want to move in with my GF around January/February next year so moving out now means taking on most likely a year lease.

It's only March, if you get your skates on I'm sure you could find a landlord that would be OK with a ten/eleven month lease. Do you want to stay where you are until next January/February?
    Also two of my house mates have also moved out leaving me just with the live in Landlord ... So I am pretty much stuck

I really like my landlords, they've been great to me for over two years and, in return, I've been a great tenant. But that wouldn't keep me in the situation you're in.

LittleBook wrote: »
    It's only March, if you get your skates on I'm sure you could find a landlord that would be OK with a ten/eleven month lease. Do you want to stay where you are until next January/February?

I really like my landlords, they've been great to me for over two years and, in return, I've been a great tenant. But that wouldn't keep me in the situation you're in.
    Thats also I have been the perfect tenant, but I am not sure it would go down well me moving out now especially with the other moving out, maybe I am being to nice.

Yeah I was gonna stay till roughly February of next year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

jeez dude, i'd get out of there as soon as possible. i grew up around crumlin and while it was never the safest of areas, it was alright as long as you kept to yourself. i'm paying sub-550 p/m just off the canal in rathmines, and we've never had any trouble around the area. the fact that you live with your landlord should make it easier to at least negotiate a rent-drop, as they must surely be aware of the issues in the area, and can't reasonably expect you to continue to pay above the odds in an area you cant feel safe in. as someone else said earlier, your best bet would be to have a search around on daft. sure evena few minutes up the road in harolds cross would make a huge difference to peace of mind, and you should find somewhere around there for sub-550 easily enough. best of luck with whatever you decide to go for :)

jeez dude, i'd get out of there as soon as possible. i grew up around crumlin and while it was never the safest of areas, it was alright as long as you kept to yourself. i'm paying sub-550 p/m just off the canal in rathmines, and we've never had any trouble around the area. the fact that you live with your landlord should make it easier to at least negotiate a rent-drop, as they must surely be aware of the issues in the area, and can't reasonably expect you to continue to pay above the odds in an area you cant feel safe in. as someone else said earlier, your best bet would be to have a search around on daft. sure evena few minutes up the road in harolds cross would make a huge difference to peace of mind, and you should find somewhere around there for sub-550 easily enough. best of luck with whatever you decide to go for :)
    I need piece of mind I have been parking my car at work alot recently on weekends as I am afraid to leave it outside my house when I am away. The garda who came by a few days after mine own incident painted a horrible picture of burglaries and criminal damage in the area of clogher road of late. The girl I live with who is moving out simply doesnt feel safe in the area especially after last nights antics on our road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I live up the road in Harolds cross and there has never been any issues, very quite around. If your having any issues like that I would move ASAP.

Thats also I have been the perfect tenant, but I am not sure it would go down well me moving out now especially with the other moving out, maybe I am being to nice.

Yeah I was gonna stay till roughly February of next year .

I completely understand, you seem like a nice guy ... too nice. You shouldn't keep yourself in this situation just because you're the last one to leave or to do your landlord a favour.

It probably won't go down well, but any landlord would be disappointed to lose a good tenant, them's the breaks. I suspect in this particular situation your landlord will completely understand deep down, even if, on the surface, they get annoyed with you.

Give your notice and get looking, otherwise you'll have no peace of mind for the next year.

LittleBook wrote: »
    I completely understand, you seem like a nice guy ... too nice. You shouldn't keep yourself in this situation just because you're the last one to leave or to do your landlord a favour.

It probably won't go down well, but any landlord would be disappointed to lose a good tenant, them's the breaks. I suspect in this particular situation your landlord will completely understand deep down, even if, on the surface, they get annoyed with you.

Give your notice and get looking, otherwise you'll have no peace of mind for the next year.
    I am gonna see how the next few weeks play out, I really dont fancy the idea of moving out two times in the space of 9-10 months.

I will see who my landlord brings in as new tenants and play it from there. I get on well with her and previous housemates and I feel having a good relationship with my housemates is key, naturally if my car is damaged again it may be the final straw.

Its all about playing the waiting game I guess, in my own heart I would feel awful leaving her on her own having to find 3 new tenants.

I wouldnt leave it until your car gets damaged again or something else happens tbh. Personally Id sooner move twice in a year rather than put up with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

€550 for a room in a houseshare with several people and no ensuite would be quite expensive in a good neighbourhood, never mind a bad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

quaalude wrote: »
    €550 for a room in a houseshare with several people and no ensuite would be quite expensive in a good neighbourhood, never mind a bad one.

Very true, seems like mad money for that area. I rent a gorgeous two bed house up the road from there for €400 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

KTRIC wrote: »
    quaalude wrote: »

Very true, seems like mad money for that area. I rent a gorgeous two bed house up the road from there for €400 more.

550 for a room in crumlin is a total sting. Petrol/pipe bombing is a feature of life for some gougers round there so area isnt going downhill. Id say u were unlucky witn your car.....my biggest thing would be payin 550 for a room in crumlin tho

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

You should be paying around €400-€450. I have lived in a shared house on Clonard Road and paid €450 for a double room in 2007.

We are renting a house on Kildare Road atm and paying €850.
    Overall it would be a very nice area if the local scumbags (hoodie gangs) would suddenly disappear (threw rocks at my car overnight).
    It's really a shame as it so handy for town etc.

By the way, I always thought that the canal end of Clogher Road is the posher part of Crumlin opposed to the area around the GAA club:confused:

Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement