Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Mastersystem 2 50/60Hz Mod

Options
  • 14-03-2012 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

After buying some games for my Mastersystem lately, testing them out reminded me of how crap 50Hz gameplay is. The actual gaming screen is tiny, & everything is slowed down significantly. Time to break out the iron

The stock console. It has to be stripped down to the motherboard.

iw7wqb.jpg

21mz2xh.jpg

2q3c039.jpg

15x02nt.jpg

Pin 57 lifted of the chip labelled 315-5246. The lenght of the pin is huge, meaning you have to bend it right up to seperate it from the motherboard. If doing this again, I think I'd rather snip the leg with a micro snips, because if the pin breaks the console is a paperweight.

34sjmdf.jpg

Once lifted, solder a wire to the pin. As usual, this will be then soldered to the middle pin of an SPDT switch. The other two pins on the switch will be 5v & ground. Exactly like most 50/60Hz mods.

kb36t3.jpg

The 5v point on the motherboard. You can see that its raised slightly, because I've added solder to it to make soldering a wire on easier.

sljkvt.jpg

5v & Ground now ready. Ground point is the leg of a cap.

148n9lv.jpg

Points soldered onto the switch

19xfdd.jpg

4t80zo.jpg

Time to test

nq8nb.jpg

A direct comparison between 50/60Hz

15d9l54.jpg

34y1xk0.jpg

As you can see, the lower image has far more gameplay screen available to it. What you can't see, is the difference in speed. 50Hz sounds like slow motion once you've seen & heard 60Hz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice work :)

Quite possibly the longest pins on any chip ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Rock. paper or scissors? Damnit Alex, make up your mind!

Great mod, but what a game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nice work :)

Quite possibly the longest pins on any chip ever?

Definitely the longest IC pins I've ever seen. Think it'd be better to snip rather than lift for future reference.
    Rock. paper or scissors? Damnit Alex, make up your mind!

Great mod, but what a game :)

Lol, only in the 80's could a game of Jenga be considered an end of level boss battle. Great game :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Good youtube vid showing the difference

Advertisement