Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-03-2012, 22:33   #91
BrianD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
I don't understand why people are getting annoyed a bill increase which a) is small b) will affect very few people c) Will primarily affect more wealthy people who own holiday homes. This will not affect people who are saving electricity, unless they are saving electricity by using none.
First of all, 2 units per day is not none. Secondly, if you read the thread I and others have described circumstances where usage can be under 2 units per day.

Spare me this bull about "wealthy people with holiday homes".

There's a stink of begrudgery off this thread. I'd say that those cheerleading this increase have big bills and thought it was "impossible" for someone to run a house on much less. It must be annoying to then discover that they were wrong and that they have paid out potentially thousands more over the years than less wasteful people.

Just got my bill, 108 units in 63 days. Average sized fridge freezer has been plugged in all that time and obviously I've been using other items as well. Yet according to "an ESB spokesman" in this article

Quote:
Two units per day would be consumed by, for example, a small fridge-freezer on all day
Advertisement
07-03-2012, 15:33   #92
maggy_thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD3 View Post
Just got my bill, 108 units in 63 days. Average sized fridge freezer has been plugged in all that time and obviously I've been using other items as well. Yet according to "an ESB spokesman" in this article

Quote:
Two units per day would be consumed by, for example, a small fridge-freezer on all day
I checked my fridge-freezer, and it says on it "0.88kW/24h" -- which is a lot less than 2 units!
07-03-2012, 23:47   #93
melekalikimaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD3 View Post
First of all, 2 units per day is not none. Secondly, if you read the thread I and others have described circumstances where usage can be under 2 units per day.

Spare me this bull about "wealthy people with holiday homes".

There's a stink of begrudgery off this thread. I'd say that those cheerleading this increase have big bills and thought it was "impossible" for someone to run a house on much less. It must be annoying to then discover that they were wrong and that they have paid out potentially thousands more over the years than less wasteful people.

hummm do you watch tv in your house or use computers even?
08-03-2012, 08:12   #94
Head The Wall

I know plenty that don't and others that use them very little
08-03-2012, 08:38   #95
maggy_thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by melekalikimaka View Post
hummm do you watch tv in your house or use computers even?
Modern TVs often don't use very much power. For example, the Samsung LED range runs at about 0.1 units/hour. My laptop charger uses a whopping 0.06 units/hour (and my phone charges off my laptop...)

The "big" consumers of power are:
  1. Tumble dryers
  2. Electric heating
  3. Electric cookers

If you hang all your clothes on the line and use gas heating/cooking - your biggest consumers of electricity are gone.
Advertisement
08-03-2012, 09:55   #96
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggy_thatcher View Post
Modern TVs often don't use very much power.
My 4 year old LCD consumes 250w (i.e. 1 unit every 4 hours). It's only very modern, typically LED, that a would be less than 150w.

Ironically the old tube TVs were the most energy efficient of all. My old 32 inch was 90w.
08-03-2012, 11:15   #97
maggy_thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
My 4 year old LCD consumes 250w (i.e. 1 unit every 4 hours). It's only very modern, typically LED, that a would be less than 150w.

Ironically the old tube TVs were the most energy efficient of all. My old 32 inch was 90w.
The old tube TV's weren't the most energy efficient, they were just smaller. LCD/LED TVs are more efficient than tubes on a size-for-size basis.

Anyway - my point is that in the summer time especially, it's certainly not out there to consume less than 2 units a day - little/no lighting costs, generally less TV watching, etc. Add a summer holiday into the mix where power consumption drops to near zero, and you could easily drop to an average of less than 2 units, and then get penalized for it.

What I find bizarre about the whole thing is that if you consume 122 units you pay the high rate (assuming a usual 61-day billing period), but if you pay 123 units you pay the low rate - essentially you are being "paid" to use that extra unit of electricity.
08-03-2012, 12:14   #98
n97 mini

Quote:
The old tube TV's weren't the most energy efficient, they were just smaller.
Size obviously has an effect on the overall consumption, but my 40" LCD consumes almost 3 times what my 32" CRT did, but it is not almost 3 times the size, no matter what way you measure it.

Quote:
LCD/LED TVs are more efficient than tubes on a size-for-size basis.
You shouldn't be grouping LCD and LED TVs together. LED is considerably more efficient than LCD.
17-03-2012, 17:38   #99
pieface_ie
Closed Account

Sorry to drag up an old thread but how do they work out four 60W bulbs on for three hours a day is equal to two units?

4 x 60W = 240W
240W x 3hours = 720W

720W = 0.72 kWhr
Advertisement
19-03-2012, 14:51   #100
parsi
Banned

Send a message via MSN to parsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by View View Post
That though is incorrect.

Given the current economic crisis, there are people working abroad for much of the month with their "main homes" (as they'd see it) in Ireland. Their reward for not sitting around on the dole costing the tax-payer money will be to get a nice "Welcome Home" bill from Electric Ireland.
Worryingly if they switch to Airtricity they'll get hit by an across-the-board increase in standing charges in order to cushion Airtricity's profits from the effects of bad debts.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion