Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-07-2011, 17:47   #61
20 Times 20 Times
MAN UNITED !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
fair enough, best of luck with everything and i hope it all goes well for you

i would reiterate tho, if there is no cost implication and the travel to both is the same, id go with DCU personally.
Ha , you have put such a doubt in my head now :-) and the day im just after paying my deposit for my place also
Advertisement
06-07-2011, 18:49   #62
ted2767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
fair enough, best of luck with everything and i hope it all goes well for you

i would reiterate tho, if there is no cost implication and the travel to both is the same, id go with DCU personally.
I'd say if DIT suits you better go for it from what I've been told the guy who runs this course knows his stuff and if you get good grades you'll pick up a big 4 contract if thats what you're after.
Thanks from:
06-07-2011, 18:57   #63
20 Times 20 Times
MAN UNITED !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted2767 View Post
I'd say if DIT suits you better go for it from what I've been told the guy who runs this course knows his stuff and if you get good grades you'll pick up a big 4 contract if thats what you're after.
That is exactly what I heard myself :-) and that's exactly what I'm after :-) .
Hopefully the good grades will be maintained lowest result in my final year was 65% , still couldn't even get an interview :-(
04-03-2012, 17:19   #64
martin2012

Master in accounting at DCU , Help

Hi guys
After communicating with the experts and also searching different websites I really became interested to pursue a master degree in accounting at DCU. Today one my friends just told me about a shocking news, he said 50% of the students in the master class are already sponsored by the accounting firms and the rest are paying the full course fees by themselves & they are not really job guaranteed after completing their course, he mentioned that I am going to have a tough year, workload ect.... and spend lot of money and time & may end up with nothing (NO JOB!!!), I was told that, it’s better to spend a little bit more and do the master in accounting at Smurfit if I really want to get something after that, master in accounting at DCU is tough for no reason and you sacrifice your life and money and time for a year!!! I just wonder if this is really true?!!!! The only reason that I want to do my master at DCU is to get a JOB after. Please give me some advice in relation to this important issue if you studied the same degree and experienced the same thing!! Cheers
04-03-2012, 22:11   #65
sodabread

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin2012 View Post
Hi guys
After communicating with the experts and also searching different websites I really became interested to pursue a master degree in accounting at DCU. Today one my friends just told me about a shocking news, he said 50% of the students in the master class are already sponsored by the accounting firms and the rest are paying the full course fees by themselves & they are not really job guaranteed after completing their course, he mentioned that I am going to have a tough year, workload ect.... and spend lot of money and time & may end up with nothing (NO JOB!!!), I was told that, it’s better to spend a little bit more and do the master in accounting at Smurfit if I really want to get something after that, master in accounting at DCU is tough for no reason and you sacrifice your life and money and time for a year!!! I just wonder if this is really true?!!!! The only reason that I want to do my master at DCU is to get a JOB after. Please give me some advice in relation to this important issue if you studied the same degree and experienced the same thing!! Cheers
You're never going to be guaranteed a job. However you're in a far better position and much more employable when you have CAP2 exemptions. I find it hard to believe you'll go without a job once you have CAP 2's.

In terms of the UCD DCU question. I've heard first hand experience of DCU students that the masters is a difficult year. But smurfit is aswell so its six of one, half a dozen of the other. If you want an easy year just go to Maynooth- by far the easiest of the lot!
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 00:08   #66
FzDIT
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodabread View Post
You're never going to be guaranteed a job. However you're in a far better position and much more employable when you have CAP2 exemptions. I find it hard to believe you'll go without a job once you have CAP 2's.

In terms of the UCD DCU question. I've heard first hand experience of DCU students that the masters is a difficult year. But smurfit is aswell so its six of one, half a dozen of the other. If you want an easy year just go to Maynooth- by far the easiest of the lot!
I think sodabread is right, I can't see the point that you do your masters in DCU. Just go to DIT or UCD (If you have the money) , I've heard they make the DCU masters in accounting very very complicated and hard for students. DIT tuition fees is almost the same with DCU and the course and college is lovely and comprehensive, lecturers are accessible and helpful.

"DON'T GO TO DCU" can't see the logic why they make the course so tough!!!!
05-03-2012, 13:47   #67
KingEnda

From what I have heard DIT has a good masters for students interested in a career in accountancy
06-04-2012, 02:25   #68
finn78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodabread View Post

no one said about a masters in NUIG? what about the masters in accounting in NUIG??? is it good??
03-05-2013, 00:53   #69
headhoncho1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn78 View Post
no one said about a masters in NUIG? what about the masters in accounting in NUIG??? is it good??
NUIG is quite good apparently. I did the MAcc in UCD a few years ago.

As the commenters above noted that the most important thing is your 3 years in the Big 4 and your ACA.

However, in my opinion the best of the main Masters would rank

1. Smurfit
2. DCU/NUIG
3. UCC
4. DIT
5. The rest

The pass rate in the FAE's for UCD MAcc students is over 80%, which is higher than the others AFAIK. Also, Smurfit is very highly ranked internationally as a business school. None of the other colleges are even close reputation wise (which does matter a bit, for better or worse).
Advertisement
03-05-2013, 10:50   #70
20 Times 20 Times
MAN UNITED !!!

I completed the Masters in DIT.

I picked DIT over DCU , I wasnt able to go to Smurfit for logistic reasons , if I was able to I would have.

I would strongly recommend the Macc in DIT highly, I found the lecturers all highly knowledgeable in their areas and all "Big Four" trained.

I went into the course without a training contract and with the help and guidance of the careers team and lecturers there I was offered a position in the top 6 accounting firms in which I applied.

My opinion on the masters would be

UCD
DIT
DCU

If you want any more information about the course let me know.
03-05-2013, 11:03   #71
SantryRed

Why would you drop DCU past DIT?

DCU course is being changed next year according to an email, two less modules, making it less CA throughout the year and less work during the summer on the research portfolio.
03-05-2013, 11:21   #72
20 Times 20 Times
MAN UNITED !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantryRed View Post
Why would you drop DCU past DIT?

DCU course is being changed next year according to an email, two less modules, making it less CA throughout the year and less work during the summer on the research portfolio.
At the time of applying for my Macc , DCU actually gave two extra modules over the others. I didn’t see any benefit in doing these two extra subjects. At the end of the day the majority of people that want to study masters in accounting is to get one thing, the exemptions.

Another big factor for me , was when applying to DIT/DCU I was asking several questions from the head of each respective course. Martin Quinn emailed me the answers I was looking for, Declan Doran rung me to discuss them. I am a very personable guy and that small touch meant a lot to me.
04-05-2013, 17:11   #73
SantryRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pea View Post
At the time of applying for my Macc , DCU actually gave two extra modules over the others. I didn’t see any benefit in doing these two extra subjects. At the end of the day the majority of people that want to study masters in accounting is to get one thing, the exemptions.

Another big factor for me , was when applying to DIT/DCU I was asking several questions from the head of each respective course. Martin Quinn emailed me the answers I was looking for, Declan Doran rung me to discuss them. I am a very personable guy and that small touch meant a lot to me.
Fair enough,

I think if you are just going for the exemptions, DIT or NUI Maynooth are best due to the fact that they don't seem to add any more I think.

I think DCU/UCD are more recognised in my own opinion, and now that they've dropped those two extra modules, it makes it a lot more attractive.
28-05-2013, 20:21   #74
ryanf1

I've been given advice to aim for smurfit when I graduate next year. I'm just finding it hard to justify the €3k extra cost over any other Macc course.
In the event you graduate with a 2:2 are there any masters courses open to you?
15-07-2013, 09:43   #75
oldspice

Does anyone know of someone who did a masters in Accounting in either NUIM or NUIG? And what it was like?

Personally I'd only be doing a masters in order to get more exemptions/have a better CV ie. with a masters

Granted Smurfit is probably the best of the lot but if your being sponsored to do the masters (by a Big 4), you've already a job after you graduate, so what's the benefit, down the line, of paying the extra €3k?
If you've the same outcome as someone that did the Masters in NUIG DCU UCC or NUIM? It's all about exemptions right?

And accommodation in Dublin is pretty pricey (well for me anyway).

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Oldspice

Last edited by oldspice; 15-07-2013 at 15:00.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion